laying it all out first

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A few years ago I worked with a guy who was a master cabinet maker here in New Mexico, he built lots of Santa Fe type stuff, with patterns on the doors, etc. I didn't understand all of it, just wasn't good enough, but he gave me a gift I'd like to share w/ all of you. You go in stages, measure, conceptualize, draw, then cut and assemble, except he put an extra stage in between cut and assemble. He'd lay everything that was already cut out at the shop, not putting anything together, just lay it out, look at it, drink a cup of coffee, and think about it, look for mistakes and let it sit on your mind. Sometimes for an hour or longer. This is NOT wasted time. I've used this on everything, rebuild an old carburetor, clean it, take it apart lay it out on a shop towel to see it in its entirety before going at it, built a carport, get all the pieces together, lay them on the ground in order, get it in order in your mind first, before starting in. This method works for a lot of things. Why not martial arts? Not so much the time taken, although that too, but why not give the general overview of a system and its philosophies and principles at the beginning, make thm the first and most important thing, and then work on assembling techniques that point out principles afterward. Why not make a map first, a plan first, and LET STUDENTS IN ON THE PLAN, let students get it in their mind first, How they're going to defeat an opponent, what they can use,how to get fit, stay disciplined, lay it all out there in the beginning, rather than dribbling out knowledge, so students can conceptualize and visualize first before working on the minutiae of techniques and training.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Good idea..I will next time put the attacker on the ground..look at it and think "what will work?' ...then stand them back up.., KABOOM?

Just joking here..

Everyone knows planning is important...blue prints is a must..everything is in steps....just like walking....

When it is time to put it together...cannot waste time....could cost you? ..Aloha

OP
L

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Aloha, still learning. But I meant in training more than a fight. But if the planning done first, then the fight is the easy part. If everything is laid out first, then things flow easier faster, no wasted time. What I mean is this, tell me how all this is supposed to work, let me figure it out, then lets learn and drill, fit in the pieces, don't make me enter the gate of hidden knowledge or whatever, show me the big picture first. When the time comes it will go faster, in my opinion.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I noticed that I sometimes had a slower learning curve in the beginning than some but often ended up as good or better, and I finally realized that its because that is the approach I take. I try and understand the pieces and how it all works together before I move ahead too quickly. That has worked well for me over the years. Better then rushing ahead without understanding what you are doing.
Thanks for the analogy!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
Aloha, still learning. But I meant in training more than a fight. But if the planning done first, then the fight is the easy part. If everything is laid out first, then things flow easier faster, no wasted time. What I mean is this, tell me how all this is supposed to work, let me figure it out, then lets learn and drill, fit in the pieces, don't make me enter the gate of hidden knowledge or whatever, show me the big picture first. When the time comes it will go faster, in my opinion.

Hello, I agree here (laying the attacter on the ground was a just a joke)

We all started as white belts..we must learn the basics of how to move, punch correctly, kick smartly, and breath.

Kata's are formal plans, sparring is informal planning, everything we do in class will lead to "fighting without thinking."

foundations must be built first..."ah" the plans....can't put the roof on without the walls? where's the toilet? ....gotta go....Aloha

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with the concept insofar as it may be good for some - but I don't believe that the idea would benefit everyone. Not all people learn or think in the same way. For some, the most effective way they learn is one piece at a time, until one day they have an 'aha' moment.

No, not the band "A-ha". :uhyeah:

With that in mind, though, the other difficulty with the approach would be the time necessary. How long would it take for an instructor to, one on one, "lay it all out"? I suspect that it might be quite a while....

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
He'd lay everything that was already cut out at the shop, not putting anything together, just lay it out, look at it, drink a cup of coffee, and think about it, look for mistakes and let it sit on your mind. Sometimes for an hour or longer. This is NOT wasted time.
loneycoyote,
This is an excellent post and there can be no doubt that such a measured and considered approach to training is hugely beneficial not just for students but for any of us who teach and who use teaching plans as a preference to just "winging it". The few occasions where I've managed to work it this way have yielded superb results too.

I'd love to teach this way but unfortunately for me, despite having a reasonable proficiency at writing plans, I get too easily bored and end up "winging it" all the time and furthermore I just can't abide instructions - they go in the bin and I'm straight in there with the sleeves rolled up and it's usually to my detriment - everything out of sequence, parts missed, slap on a piece of duct tape, that should hold it! etc.etc. [and that's my life and not just my MA teaching or my self-assembly shelf units!!]

Respects!

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
that's a wonderful post and incredibly useful sentiment.

many people view preparation as what you do before the task. i've found it useful to remember that preparation is part of the task. it's not what you do before you do, it's part of the doing.

Latest Discussions