OP
L

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Black Bear said:
Hi Prime Minister Paul Martin.

AH....BB!

Still waiting for that payroll check to clear...Of course the picture on MY driver's license and HIS are different so that might be causing some problems...:).

I'll take the pay, but not the head aches.

S

Shidan

What resources does one have to research a particular state's laws? IS there a known website that contains this information? Or is it merely obtained via leg-work?

(I don't mind collecting the data myself, but if someone has located the 'magic' site, I won't try to re-invent the process)

Thank you.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shidan said:
What resources does one have to research a particular state's laws? IS there a known website that contains this information? Or is it merely obtained via leg-work?

(I don't mind collecting the data myself, but if someone has located the 'magic' site, I won't try to re-invent the process)

Thank you.
Most states have legislative websites that contain the states entire statutes on line. You'll probably have to do a lot of leg work once you find it, because apparently legislatures aren't very adept at utilizing good search engines. Plan on spending a couple hours browsing their website. In addition, if you know a friendly police officer in your neighborhood, he can tell you what the state statues are in your state. When you find out what the statue is, get a copy of it off the website, and read it over and over again until you can quote it chapter and verse. Understand every detail and nuance, because it's important to have an indepth understanding of what your legal rights and obligations for self-defense are. For example, in most states people have a right to utilize whatever force is necessary to protect themselves or others, but there is a doctrine of retreat, meaning if you can safely retreat you have an obligation to do so. Some states may have an even more restrictive standard. Know yours. Knowing your states statute on the subject can help you not only make the right decision when dealing with a threat, it can help you when you talk to the police. It may seem silly that simply wording things in the right matter might make a difference to the police, but context is everything. Using words as they appear in the statute when describing your actions in a police report can go a long ways toward keeping you out of legal hot water. Words such as "I was in fear for my life or safety" or "I believed him to be an iminent threat" are clear words that are clearly understood by law enforcement officers and attorneys. Clearly articulating what form the threat took is equally important. Simply saying "He scared me" is good for a start, but it is important to clearly articulate whay he scared you. For example,

"He became angry and said he was going to kick my ***. He drew back his right hand, made a fist and set his body weight which, based on my training and experience is indicative of a person who is about to throw a punch. Based on his greater size, apparent greater strength, and apparent physical conditioning, I believed I was about to be assaulted and I was in fear of serious physical injury if he assaulted me, so I responded by striking him in the solar plexus, at which point he fell down and I ran away to remove myself from further threat"

It will become clear to a prosecutor that you are familiar with the law, and that you have clearly articulated your use of force in terms of the law and what it allows. If you have any doubt in these matters, however, contact an attorney. Remember, if you are engaged in a fight of any sort, especially one involving weapons, be patient when the police arrive. You may be in the right, but police arriving on the scene will not know what happened. They may handcuff you. Don't argue or resist, it will get sorted out. Do everything demanded of you by the police at the scene when they first arrive. If they tell you to lay down flat on the ground, comply. If there is a weapon involved, DO NOT have it in your hand when the police pull up, I can not stress this enough. Place it on the ground and step away with your hands above your head. Remember, they have no idea what's going on and may perceive everyone as a potential aggressor until things are stablized. Again, the police may arrive in a heightened state of aggitation due to the nature of how the call came out. Do everything they say and don't get offended if you are ordered to do something in a loud or commanding tone. It will be sorted out, but probably not at the scene. Don't attempt to tell the officers what occurred until they ask you. If they aren't talking to you, it's probably because they are trying to get the scene stabalized. When they believe that the scene is secure, someone will talk to you. Remember, if you are not sure what to tell the police, you have the right to an attorney. This does not mean that you should or should not request one, it means you have the right to one and this should be kept in mind. This last part should go without saying, but you'd be surprised. Do not start fighting with or otherwise ordering the police around when they arrive. As Chris Rock would say, "That's just plain ignorant."

S

Shidan

sgtmac_46

Thank you for spelling out a very detailed list of pointers. I am sure others will benefit from your comments as well.

This thread is a great SD (mental) discussion. Great comments all :D

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Everyone put alot of good info into this thread. I added First aid and basic computer skills. This could be list of Skills for Specialized Security, Self defense instructors or someone like me who has a daughter who wants to start dating. :jedi1:

Physical Attributes:

Empty Hand vs Empty Hand
Empty Hand vs Blade
Empty Hand vs Blunt Objects
Empty Hand vs Fire Arms
Multiple Opponents
Blade against Blade
Improvised Weapons
Driving skills
Escape And Evasion (tactical retreat and tactical evasion)

Knowledge And Applications:

Various Firearms
Tasers and sprays
Projectiles
State, Federal laws, Civilian Arrest, Use Of Force
Verbal, De-escalation skills
Basic understanding of Surveillance Equipment
Basic First Aid
Basic Computer Skills

S

Shidan

D_Brady said:
Everyone put alot of good info into this thread. I added First aid and basic computer skills. This could be list of Skills for Specialized Security, Self defense instructors or someone like me who has a daughter who wants to start dating. :jedi1:

Physical Attributes:

Empty Hand vs Empty Hand
Empty Hand vs Blade
Empty Hand vs Blunt Objects
Empty Hand vs Fire Arms
Multiple Opponents
Blade against Blade
Improvised Weapons
Driving skills
Escape And Evasion (tactical retreat and tactical evasion)

Knowledge And Applications:

Various Firearms
Tasers and sprays
Projectiles
State, Federal laws, Civilian Arrest, Use Of Force
Verbal, De-escalation skills
Basic understanding of Surveillance Equipment
Basic First Aid
Basic Computer Skills

How to operate/repair/inspect ones mode of transportation (car, motorcycle, bicycle, skateboard, shoes ;) )

It really comes down to having/using common sense. A person needs to know how to do research, shop in a store for groceries, or farm & hunt for their own food, need to know how to balance monies, plan for the future, save money, budget (all kind of the same). Prepare taxes, repair the home, use a phone, understand public transportation (bus schedules, routes), survive in an airport, adapt to snow, rain, wind and any/all natural disasters, best way to handle an automobile accident, understand medical perscriptions (or at least know how to research what drugs you are taking, understand nutrition, understand ones native language as well as one or two others for nearby contentents.......:D The list goes on!

(all this to do and people are obese and sitting in front of the tv watching reality shows....sheese)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Basic and even intermediate first aid and emergent care is a great part of survival! Its definitely worth listing, good job D_Brady

7sm