Latest TOW Sophisticated Basics

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It must be great to have the oportunity to work or let Mr. Tatum work on you. Just kidding. Keep them coming.

Thanks
Rick

OP
A

AHinnebusch

It really is, he has amazing speed and incredible control. Seeing him in vidinplay is one thing but seeing him move live is really impressive.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I envy you and everyone that lives near an American Kenpo School.

Your in Kenpo
Rick

OP
J

jeffkyle

This was a great TOW.
I have seen Mr. Tatum in person and Andrew is right...it is impressive.
:asian: :asian: :D

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen it a couple of times.
What is "There is no place like 127.0.0.1?"

Thanks Rick

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

Can somebody or you request Mr Tatum to have a knife defense technique on his web site ????

thanks and look forward to

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Rick Wade
I have seen it a couple of times.
What is "There is no place like 127.0.0.1?"

Thanks Rick

It is a computer geek thing. It is a loopback IP address. If you ping it you will be pinging yourself.

So the phrase is saying "There is no place like home." But in computer terms.

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
All I have to say is WOW,

All you guys and gals are unbelievable about what you can blow out of proportion.

Here's a thought, why don't you discuss the TOW and add your own twist or set of basic motions that can be combined into a sophisticated movement.

I know, I know, it's crazy, but somebody might learn something.

Not feeling the Kenpo Brotherly love,
Rob

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Good point, Robbo--I like it because I've been trying to make it.

Could I ask what you thought about the Tip, and its applicability to your own practice?

Thanks.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by rmcrobertson
Ooooh, a, "barrage of questions." My goodness. Got outargued, didja?

Axly, the hell with this...conversation. I'm perfectly willing to have folks go back though any and all of my posts, warts and all, and judge for themselves. I repeat my recommendation that, similarly, anybody who's interested take a look at the posts of MJS, Cool, Touch, and judge their uses and their manners for themselves.

And after you've whomped through that, just go back and enjoy the Tip. It's more fun, and more informative, anyway.

Yes, correct Robert. I'll admit that I come off as cocky, sounding like I know all that there is too know, even though I dont. Actually, if I did, then I wouldnt be training in ANY art cuz I'd already know it all, right?

What I meant by that Rob, is that you are just as cocky as the rest of us. Only difference is that at least I have the stones to admit it!!!!

Oh and as for the tip....believe it or not, I actually thought it was very good. Like Angela said, depending on how she throws the punch, will determine how Larry responds. The faster she went, the faster he'd have to go. IMO, the best way to avoid people saying if it will work or not, is to first do it quick. By doing this, it takes away any doubt that the tech. didnt work. Then by going back and giving that detailed example people can see what happened.

Mike

OP
J

jeffkyle

and ludicrous speeds.

Angela [/B]

Ludicrous speed.....GO! hahahaha! I have the DVD of that movie! I love it! Thanks for the smile Angela.

:)

OP
K

kenpoangel

Who does not train in the MA but wanted to say something about these postings:

To all...
I am sure all your instructors have taught you to the fullest of their abilities and knowledge.

It is for this reason, I refuse to know what you know, learn what you learn, and be like you are...

You have all made me feel better about my NRA membership and my military handgun training.

In my fight, this would have already been settled.

Have a great Kenpo day.

Sincerely,

Glock

OP
J

jeffkyle

I was wondering what you thought about the latest Tip? And how you'd apply its principle to your training? Or the exact reasons that you wouldn't buy the whole idea of a, "sophisticated basic?"

I really like sophisticated basics...like in the movie The Perfect Weapon.
The part at the High School Football Field when "Jeff" is a teenager and gets into it with the football players....he does an outqward parry that doubles as a finger point and says "I think we are!"

I always think about that...and like how cool, yet simple, the whole thing is. :):asian:

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Of course, there's strength and then there's strength. Guys err when then define all strength as the ability to lift dead weight.

And while it does seem--seem--that real attackers will always be bigger, one can't always be sure that women will be smaller, or that men will be bigger.

I've repeatedly worked with women who are taller than I am. I know more than one woman black belt who is damn near my size and strength, and I've met at least one who is bigger.

And of all the people I know who I really, really don't want to get into a knock-down drag out with, one is a woman about 5' tall who bent an old, rolled-steel filing cabinet so that they had to torch it open with a reverse punch. Another is a guy who may be shorter than her, and who is stronger than me, pound for pound.

OP
K

kenpoangel

You've said something that DIDNT make me laugh :p

Seriously, I do agree and THAT is why I get so nuts when people say we don't train realistically at our studio. Ya' really have no idea (well some of you may) what it's like to have Clyde, William or DEXTER (WHO IS 6'9") screaming down on you in a technique line. No there is no "threat" there but it's still real none the less. I've seen people bounce off Will's punch in 5 Swords, so if you don't REALLY block him you will be on your butt. He's not holding any punches (so to speak) so when I learn my technique and I have to do them in that studio it is real folks and if that's something you still can't get through your heads and believe, then I guess I'll have to say what Clyde has said SO many times before,,,just come to the Advanced Class on Wed night from 7:30pm to 8:30pm PST and just WATCH !

It really is that simple. Seein is believin and none of us crawl out of there with broken bones, teeth or pride. Ok ... maybe the pride is a little bumped from time to time but hell on a good day in class, that all comes back shiny too :)

On with your trainin people!

Back to the mats,

Angela

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

"3. "Kenpo people are all tied up with their own egos." Sure, absolutely. We all got 'em. However, would you really say that there's worse strutting in kenpo than anywhere else in the martial arts? Try Wing Chun. Take a look at the next UFC you see. No male fantasy there, mirabile dictu. Oh, and while we're on the subject of ego, take a quick inventory of the language people use when they choose an alias. No ego there, no 11-year-old-with-a-new-toy jet mentality. "

Agreed. There are eogs everywhere. As for the alias that you refer to, then again, I'm not sure if its directed to me but the "MJS" that I use is in reality the initials of my name. Just cuz I dont post MSlosek on the MT forum does not mean that I'm using a fake name.

It is from Tuesday of this week, two days ago. A post by you, partly in response to it, is the last thing on the thread. It is from stuff like this that I get the impression you're not actually paying all that much attention to the text--whether it's my writing, or the Tip.

Refresh me on this please.

Just to actually discuss the issues that the Tip--and you--raise, I'd argue that speed as such has nothing to do with it. In fact, I'd argue that "speed," is exactly what hamstrings a lot of martial artists at some point in their training.

Speed has its place and time in all techs. Getting the speed will come later. IMO, the first thing that is of importance is actually understanding the tech.

It's partly the old thing about rushing your techniques and your training--which is why I keep disagreeing with you about learning "fighting," rapidly, discarding the forms, etc.

Rob- The forms are a good thing. They do teach MANY ideas, etc. Will they teach you how to fight? Sorry, but I'd have to say no. The only way to do that is to spar with someone. By doing that, then you'll be able to tell if your hands are up, your punches/kicks are getting to their targets, etc.

It's partly that fast but ineffective strikes are simply going to annoy an opponent.

Agreed again

It's partly that the deliberate attempt to be faster cuts down on your speed, and hides the fact that there are different kinds of speed that are important, which may be worse.

Agree again

And one last point--I realize this is a partisan comment, but you are confusing teaching with executing a technique. The Tip is there to teach, and to start a process, NOT to illustrate how fast or how strongly Larry can move. In fact, teachers who are constantly working to demonstrate How Much Better They Are are invariably bad teachers.

I dont recall ever saying that it did matter how fast Larry was moving in this tech. If you look back to my last post, I commented and echoed Angela saying that he was in fact going slow to show the tech.

And I realize that this is partisan too, and you're not going to like it. But I have been teaching for over twenty years at this point, in a VERY wide range of contexts and disciplines, and I am very, very good at it. I have also seen a wide range of wonderful teachers.

And I too have seen a wide range of teachers...some better than others. And for whats its worth, during my phone conversation with Clyde, he did comment on what a good teacher you were!!

And bad news, but Mr. Tatum may be the best teacher I've ever seen.

Cant comment on that due to the fact that I dont train with him. Again, back to the phne chat with Clyde, I was enlightened to many different things.

Mike

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Angela I'm happy you have freinds that think they can solve all there problems by just shooting people. I've worked in places where people who think like that finaly do. Good thing I wasn't working there any longer. Anyways, I am not admitting guilt, but I am sorry you think that you were targeted for your gender; because, your comments were all it took. ;)
Sean

Latest Discussions