Lateral release on knee

KrisInTx

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm having knee surgery next week (scope and lateral release) on my right knee. Has anyone else gone through this and can you tell me how it has affected your training? I'm 43, female, testing for blue belt today and I'm planning on staying in the martial arts until I can physically do no more! I know everyone is different but I still want to find out as much as I can before this surgery to know what I might expect. Thanks!

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good luck with you surgery. I had what my doctor refers to as a knee flush where he went in and got some of the loose antibodies out as well as took care of a bone spur and a slight tear. All in all I was mobile that day with a cane for a week) but not going back to class. My advice is do what the doc says, go slow and listen to your body. After all you are your own best doctor. You will want to get discouraged with your progress as well. It was about a year before I fully trusted my knee and to this day I get a little freaked out once in a while. But all and all it is like new. Now would be the time to get some good reading material.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
Good luck with you surgery. I had what my doctor refers to as a knee flush where he went in and got some of the loose antibodies out as well as took care of a bone spur and a slight tear. All in all I was mobile that day with a cane for a week) but not going back to class. My advice is do what the doc says, go slow and listen to your body. After all you are your own best doctor. You will want to get discouraged with your progress as well. It was about a year before I fully trusted my knee and to this day I get a little freaked out once in a while. But all and all it is like new. Now would be the time to get some good reading material.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

This is the best advice, period. I need double knee replacement surgery. I wear two breg custom leg braces. Look, go slow and work work work and work on your hip and hamstring flexibility.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I went through a scope and flush on my left knee 20 years ago and an ACL reconstruction on my right knee a few years ago.

Main thing is, take your time in recovery and P.T. Don't push your knee too fast.

Latest Discussions