• Start date

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dieter

BTW Tim, when you got to the Philippines in summer next year, do you plan to train also with the Modern Arnis Masters there ore are you going only to Cebu?
Just curious.

I will be going to Manilla and Cebu for sure and from there we plan on doing a bunch of island hoping. GM Jornales (Datu #5) is handling the travel. I would like to visit the Presas family and visit Remy's grave. Bong is handling our training schedule. I'm using this trip to find out more about the Filipino culture.

Not to discredit the MA Masters in the PI, but another reason I feel that it's important for me to train with GM Buot is that he is from the school that Remy came from. Balitawak was the last art Remy practiced before forming MA. As part of MA's foundation I feel that it is important to understand Balintawak.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We do have Dan Anderson who respectfully has been accepted as a student. But Dan has some major distance problems; Oregon is an expensive plane ride away from Ted. So, all in all, in the past year Dan has only been able to log in about 7 or 8 hours of training in with the man...hardly enough time to really explore deeply into Modern Arnis roots through Balintawak.

Boy, do I ever have distance problems and, yes, though the number of training hours with Manong Ted are relatively few, I can see the roots of MA via balintawak. Don't count out the number of years I've been training in and analyzing martial arts. I've only been in Modern Arnis for 23 years but active in martial arts for 37 years.

Manong Ted is very selective with who he trains. You are usually only allowed in through recomendation, and even with a recommendation there is no gaurantee that he will train you. originally posted by Big Daddy paul

I am among the fortunate. He is knowledgeable. He is skilled. And he is a good man. I am among the fortunate.

Yours,
Dan "The Baby of balintawak" Anderson :)

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for remembering me this time Rich:D
But Paul is correct, I came to Balintawak from the Inosanto Kali lineage. I haven't trained in Modern Arnis at all.
Actually, the only FMA system I train in now is Balintawak Escrima.

but thanks for thinking of me...
Rob

P.S. Paul FYI, most people use the term "Inosanto Blend" rather than "stuff" ;o). Being as Guro Inosanto's "stuff" if you will is comprised of: Giron Bahala Na Escrima, Cabales Serrada Escrima, Lacoste Kali, Villabrille Kali, Pekiti Tirsia Kali as well as several others (but I think these would be the major influences anyway)
its just easier to say "Inosanto Blend"

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Boy, do I ever have distance problems and, yes, though the number of training hours with Manong Ted are relatively few, I can see the roots of MA via balintawak. Don't count out the number of years I've been training in and analyzing martial arts. I've only been in Modern Arnis for 23 years but active in martial arts for 37 years.

Very true. I wasn't trying to discount your training or anything, but from Dieters perspective the implication seemed to be that everyone in the US ran to Manong Ted to find a new master after RP died. This is totally not the case. My point in mentioning you is that #1 yes, you have been accepted by Ted to be a student. But...#2 your "time in" hasn't been extensive, thus your research, MA-80 integrations, and innovations are all you, baby!

:cheers:

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
Very true. I wasn't trying to discount your training or anything, but from Dieters perspective the implication seemed to be that everyone in the US ran to Manong Ted to find a new master after RP died. This is totally not the case.

Quite right. I can see how he would think that as we mention him a lot.

My point in mentioning you is that #1 yes, you have been accepted by Ted to be a student. But...#2 your "time in" hasn't been extensive, thus your research, MA-80 integrations, and innovations are all you, baby!

:cheers:

My time in is extremely limited. Unfortunately I knew that would be the case when I asked to be his student but what limited time I do get, pearls baby, pearls. It's helped a lot already.

Yours,
Dan (TBoB) Anderson

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan Anderson
. . .
Yours,
Dan (TBoB) Anderson