Last Poster #7

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For whatever reason, coffee has never been an issue for me (knock on wood). But I've noticed that since I quit drinking alcohol, what issues with heartburn and reflux I did have are completely gone.
For me it's mainly if I have food too late, or accidentally drink too much soda or citrus. I don't notice it in the moment, but it takes a couple days of very conscientious eating for it to fully go back to normal

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
For whatever reason, coffee has never been an issue for me (knock on wood). But I've noticed that since I quit drinking alcohol, what issues with heartburn and reflux I did have are completely gone.

I don't drink alcohol at all, haven't in years. My issue, and my wife is always right there to point it out, is that around the holidays I go nuts with eating all sorts of stuff I shouldn't and then the reflux returns. If I get back to my mostly vegetarian diet like I was a few years ago, most of the issues go away. But I have spent the last month on a pretty bland diet, and things are getting back to normal, but coffee is still a no go for me as well. I'm just happy I can drink tea again...no tea is just inhuman IMO :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I like spicy food, and eat a lot of different things. My saving grace is that I love veggies. Keeps things a little more healthy. But I also love meat. Basically, I cook because I love to eat pretty much everything, and if you cook it yourself, it's a lot less expensive. I'm trying to eat more fish and less beef, but I still like beef a lot.

Sundays are my favorite day. I generally go nuts on Sunday, with a dinner that takes a little longer to prepare. This last weekend, I made braised oxtail with colcannon, roasted leeks and fennel, and sticky toffee pudding for dessert. Braising beef isn't new for me, but was the first time I've tried oxtail. Was delicious.

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like spicy food, and eat a lot of different things. My saving grace is that I love veggies. Keeps things a little more healthy. But I also love meat. Basically, I cook because I love to eat pretty much everything, and if you cook it yourself, it's a lot less expensive. I'm trying to eat more fish and less beef, but I still like beef a lot.

Sundays are my favorite day. I generally go nuts on Sunday, with a dinner that takes a little longer to prepare. This last weekend, I made braised oxtail with colcannon, roasted leeks and fennel, and sticky toffee pudding for dessert. Braising beef isn't new for me, but was the first time I've tried oxtail. Was delicious.
beef bulgogi and kimchi....

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Spoiler for knicks heat game below if anyone plans to watch it.

Just watched one of the worst nba games I've seen in possibly years. Not because of the game itself, but because of how biased the refs are being, and the blatantly incorrect calls (including a challenge that absolutely should have been overturned, and a technical for randle saying a ball wasn't off on him when it hit someone else first). And the game ended up a loss by 2, so each of those fouls was very directly the cause of the loss. I don't remember the last time I've felt this bitter after a game.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Driving to North Carolina for the weekend friday morning :). Probably going to spend most of it indoors, but it'll be nice to get away for a few days, and explore to see if we want to eventually move there.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The first time I visited Hawaii I walked into a Dairy Queen to get an ice cream. Looking up at the menu I saw they also had Oxtail Soup. I thought, "you're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy."

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ahhh nice even-looking extraction there! Looks pretty freshly roasted too from the looks of that pour
Yeah, I had roasted it on Saturday, so just about three days. It's actually best after about a week. That second week after roasting is so good. :)

Regarding the extraction, I'm getting better at that, and have a lot less channeling now. I also cleaned my grinder and it's very happy now.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The first time I visited Hawaii I walked into a Dairy Queen to get an ice cream. Looking up at the menu I saw they also had Oxtail Soup. I thought, "you're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy."
Oxtail soup sounds interesting.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Look at a McDonald's menu in Beijing.......Red Bean pie. Or a Pizza Hut menu (by the way a fancy restaurant in Beijing), squid and octopus pizza....Dorthy goes straight to culture shock

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I worked at a McDonalds in the 1980s in Seattle and we served fish and chips and clam chowder.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I worked at a McDonalds in the 1980s in Seattle and we served fish and chips and clam chowder.

I worked one night at McDonalds when I was in high school. It had as good of a roast beef sandwich as Arbys.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My first job was at McD's. I actually enjoyed it. Learned a lot of good things working there.

Didn't make much money... $3.35 / hour. But I enjoyed it nonetheless. :)

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I had roasted it on Saturday, so just about three days. It's actually best after about a week. That second week after roasting is so good. :)

Regarding the extraction, I'm getting better at that, and have a lot less channeling now. I also cleaned my grinder and it's very happy now.

Ah very nice, and yeah I always rest them at the least a week, but it's interesting seeing how it develops in those early stages.

Here's this morning's, did a big roast 8 days ago, wasn't happy with how any of the batches roasted haha, but today's tasted quite nice still. Just a tad dark for what I was after. But new beans I was trying so it's always a bit of trial and error for the first roast or two...
757317bdad825d48895f6a5d111a82c1.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah very nice, and yeah I always rest them at the least a week, but it's interesting seeing how it develops in those early stages.

Here's this morning's, did a big roast 8 days ago, wasn't happy with how any of the batches roasted haha, but today's tasted quite nice still. Just a tad dark for what I was after. But new beans I was trying so it's always a bit of trial and error for the first roast or two...
the man takes his coffee serious.
I am back to Folgers....I know, pathetic!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I worked at McD’s briefly in high school to chase after a girl. On of the best slobber knockers I can remember was between an asst. manager and a guy that jumped the counter for a fried pie. He did not enjoy the pie at all.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I have up on that weird Ethiopian coffee. I've roasted many Ethiopian and other african beans and liked them all. But this coffee was just off for me.

This time, though, I went back to my favorite blend: 40% brazilian, 50% central american, and 10% Yemen

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have up on that weird Ethiopian coffee. I've roasted many Ethiopian and other african beans and liked them all. But this coffee was just off for me.

This time, though, I went back to my favorite blend: 40% brazilian, 50% central american, and 10% Yemen

Ahh yep, then again some Ethiopians can be quite tough to roast... I really wanna get some Harrar, that one blew me away...

Sounds like a good ratio blend there! Yum.

Ahhh Yemen... I think we're getting some on our shores very soon, I must jump on it this time...

Latest Discussions