Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so that beast actually exists?!
the 'fish monger' here is the Gordon fisherman....and Jimmy Dean is the butcher....
Yep. The term is used a bit loosely in this context, but it's a shop that sells only fresh seafood, locally caught. We picked up a fish I've never had before, and I've already forgotten the name - maybe trigger fish.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep. The term is used a bit loosely in this context, but it's a shop that sells only fresh seafood, locally caught. We picked up a fish I've never had before, and I've already forgotten the name - maybe trigger fish.

That is a fishmonger....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a fishmonger....
It's my undestanding the term was originally for the individual (actually, "fishmonger" was the male term, with "fishwife" being the female term) selling it at a marketplace or dock (including those who sold to restaurants). Usage has loosened over time to include retail stores, who probably purchased it from a fishmonger.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's my undestanding the term was originally for the individual (actually, "fishmonger" was the male term, with "fishwife" being the female term) selling it at a marketplace or dock (including those who sold to restaurants). Usage has loosened over time to include retail stores, who probably purchased it from a fishmonger.

The term is for the individual. Monger is basically "one who sells" - like an ironmonger...

What you visited is a "fishmonger's shop" ;)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
so that beast actually exists?!
the 'fish monger' here is the Gordon fisherman....and Jimmy Dean is the butcher....
Yes. It does exist. I only grumbled a little that we actually had to drive two miles to get there. At Holden Beach, I stayed at a place where the fishmonger was like a third of a mile down the road - you could pop over on foot and have a shrimp cocktail for breakfast.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
now you are just splitting hair.....
the point being that in (most?) many part of the country the fish shop is the big box chain store that sells fish sticks in a box, maybe some frozen tilapia.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’d love to have a castle. Then teach junk Martial Arts there. We could call it McFortress.
That would actually be a great business strategy. We could all rent out a castle together, then teach our own martial arts in different rooms.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. It does exist. I only grumbled a little that we actually had to drive two miles to get there. At Holden Beach, I stayed at a place where the fishmonger was like a third of a mile down the road - you could pop over on foot and have a shrimp cocktail for breakfast.
spoiled much?
I have to drive 5 hours to the coast for that!
:)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That would actually be a great business strategy. We could all rent out a castle together, then teach our own martial arts in different rooms.
actually teach?
why not just send out the book and some DVDs, along with the belt, and trust they do the curriculum on their own time!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
actually teach?
why not just send out the book and some DVDs, along with the belt, and trust they do the curriculum on their own time!
Then how am i going to show them my castle??
What i could do is use the castle as a place to offer a sales pitch for the videos...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Is it time to start complaining about the cold already?

That all depends on your definition of cold

Now THAT could get you a shun from me.

But then, where I am from, 'dusting' is a threat to the social order and promises complete pandemonium!

It was just an weather report and of little consequence in these here parts

It was 69F here at the beach this morning.

We don't have a beach

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue before dealing with Microsoft

ChillyBrightGrassspider-small.gif

Xue after dealing with Microsoft

tumblr_n842ow3Q1f1s2wio8o1_500.gif

dduckrage.gif

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Then how am i going to show them my castle??
What i could do is use the castle as a place to offer a sales pitch for the videos...

And t-shirts. We gotta sell t-shirts. Maybe castle hats.

Status
Not open for further replies.