Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I heard an interesting aphorism today. Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity."

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Today's a great day (IMO) for some big band era music. Been running through some old 78s, and just listened to one of my favorites from the GOAT tenor banjo player, Harry Reser. Unlike the five string banjo, which is usually played with finger picks, the tenor banjo has four strings and is played with a single pick. So, this kind of speed is amazing.

For comparison, you can see this guy (who is really good) not quite able to keep up with the original. Damn good attempt, though.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I heard an interesting aphorism today. Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity."
seen some malicious stupidity though as of late

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Hanson’s razor. I learned it after I’d begun teaching a less-concise similar principle to managers. It’s a good place to start from in disagreement, especially if taken less than literally - they don’t have to actually be stupid.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love Hanson’s razor. I learned it after I’d begun teaching a less-concise similar principle to managers. It’s a good place to start from in disagreement, especially if taken less than literally - they don’t have to actually be stupid.
well, it's a fine line between ignorance nad stupidity

and it is basically just the willingness (or lack of) to address the state of ignorance we all experience at times

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep. There is a whole lot going on out there that can be attributed to both. I am not a good enough orator to navigate a conversation with some of the mentalities out there. Someone 'stupidly' doing or having malice would be a though nut for me to crack.
Hanlon's razor is a great real world way of thinking IMHO. A very good way of describing how one should not 'walk around on egg shells' to me.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Asked for IT assistance this morning.

Me: Hi. I'm trying to print to PDF, and the files I'm getting are corrupt 0kb files.
IT: Is it a virtual printer or a network printer?
Me: Virtual, I guess? I'm trying to print directly to a PDF.

If one is printing to directly to a file, how could that be a network printer???

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not leaving my house...

Staying away from friends.....

Missing someone's birthday party....

What used to be childhood punishments have become old guys survival tactics.

We should rename the solar system.....Mercury, Venus, WTF, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, UpYours, Neptune and
View attachment 23043
As a very intense introvert, I could do this indefinitely, had I not been missing my YMCA friends. We've been doing Zoom classes - and that helps.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
By the way, the whole brushing my teeth thing WITHOUT rinsing is going quite well and on schedule! The odd time out of habit I rinsed, but it's becoming more natural.

I know you have all been wondering, and thinking... "... I wonder how he's going with that..... hope it's been successful..."

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
By the way, the whole brushing my teeth thing WITHOUT rinsing is going quite well and on schedule! The odd time out of habit I rinsed, but it's becoming more natural.

I know you have all been wondering, and thinking... "... I wonder how he's going with that..... hope it's been successful..."
Oral hygiene is critical. While we're on the subject, I read once that in Australia, your dentists rarely use a local anesthetic to numb you for fillings and such. Is that true?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I must have missed a post-why the change?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Nope. I'm not going to post The Shake Weight from South Park. Nope, to early here to laugh that hard. :)
You know what's really funny. I didn't mean to post a link to that video. I posted that one a while back in another thread, and it's beyond me how it showed up.

Here's the video I thought I was sharing... which answers the question, "Why is @_Simon_ not rinsing his toothpaste?"

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
spottify is spying on me,
Although I am not sure, through google?

I started a playlist 'Summer' with a few classics
Like the Bacadi song (mid 80s), a little of the Beach Boys (Kokomo, also mid 80s)
Next thing I know I am listening to (mostly European) songs from the 80s, and drive out of Walmart parking lot, singing along to a German tune at the top of my lungs! :D
With the windows DOWN of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions