Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I guess I should have finished reading through before posting.
Sure. It's several different elements, but they're all pretty simple.

Cake base: This is traditionally NOT a butter cake. It's just five ingredients:
6 eggs
180g Sugar (by weight)
1 tsp vanilla extract
180g all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

I put the eggs, vanilla, and sugar in a mixer and whipped them for at least 10 minutes. This may seem like a long time, but if you don't do this, the cake will be flat and dense. Want to get a lot of air in it, much like if you were making a meringue. Mix the baking powder into the flour, and then fold that into the egg mixture. Don't over mix it. Bake at 325F in a 9" pan. I used parchment paper and did not grease the sides of the pan. Cool it in the pan and then turn out to finish cooling. If you did it right, you should be able to cut it into three even layers.

Vanilla Custard:
2 egg yolks
60g sugar
2 Tbs corn starch
2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt

Mix the yolks, sugar, and corn starch in a bowl. Bring the cream, vanilla, and salt to just short of a boil in a saucepan. Temper the eggs with the milk (if you don't, you'll end up scrambling your eggs). Once you have everything mixed, put the entire mixture back into the saucepan, and simmer it until it thickens like a pudding. Put that in a bowl and into the fridge to cool thoroughly. I

Jam: I used a store bought strawberry jam, but if you wanted to make your own compote or jam, you'd be a star. You can use whatever you like.

Whipped Cream: I make it the way I like it, which may be sweeter than some folks.

3 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

I think that's it. Make sure everything is nice and cold. Put one layer of cake down, brush it with a little milk, juice, or i used Amaretto. Not enough to make it soggy... just a little. Then a good layer of jam (about 1/4 cup), and then half of the custard, then a healthy layer of whipped cream. Repeat that, and then put the last layer on top. Frost everything however you like, and top it with whatever fresh fruit you want. I used strawberries and blueberries, but a lot of folks like raspberries, blackberries, or marionberries.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparently so. At least I hear that a lot. We just do not see animals that way directly. There are few things I love seeing more than a new crop of calves playing in the field.
Do I get an emotional happy feeling when we save a cow & calf that is struggling through birth? You bet. Tired usually but very happy. But I suppose rolled up in the 'feelings' is the purpose of it all. If you lose the calf that is one years lost profits. If you lose the cow that is up to 15 years lost profits. We would replace the lost cow but you have a Lot invested in a replacement cow. Then the ROI gets all jacked up.
Many of our cattle will let you walk up and put you hand on them. But you have to know the other side of the equation. I cannot count the number of people I have heard of getting hurt from a nervous or pissed off cow in the working pen. We cull rogue cows harder than a lot of cattlemen do but it still happens.
I always use the analogy that you can get hurt from a cow or calf who is just swatting a fly if you happen to be standing in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I have a good sized scar on my right leg just above the ankle from an excited sow that jumped and ripped through my pants leg and got it's front leg stuck. It started thrashing around and twisted the pants leg around it's leg, not allowing it to get free. Quite a moment. Funny in hindsight but could have been a Lot worse. Lost a good pair of jeans that day.:(;):)
It is very possible we would feel the same way if we had a farm. When I was a little girl we used to visit a farm in the summer - it was within walking distance from the resort where we used to stay, and mom and I walked over every few days to get fresh milk. I actually did help deliver a calf one - poor little dude was breached. Not the most appetizing thing to do - since as you know you have to get your arms IN THERE - but exhilarating.

Our dogs and cats are not working animals. But we love them anyway. I can't have children, so we decided to get some four-legged ones. I honestly can't imagine how much harder the quarantine would have been without them.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure. It's several different elements, but they're all pretty simple.

Cake base: This is traditionally NOT a butter cake. It's just five ingredients:
6 eggs
180g Sugar (by weight)
1 tsp vanilla extract
180g all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

I put the eggs, vanilla, and sugar in a mixer and whipped them for at least 10 minutes. This may seem like a long time, but if you don't do this, the cake will be flat and dense. Want to get a lot of air in it, much like if you were making a meringue. Mix the baking powder into the flour, and then fold that into the egg mixture. Don't over mix it. Bake at 325F in a 9" pan. I used parchment paper and did not grease the sides of the pan. Cool it in the pan and then turn out to finish cooling. If you did it right, you should be able to cut it into three even layers.

Vanilla Custard:
2 egg yolks
60g sugar
2 Tbs corn starch
2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt

Mix the yolks, sugar, and corn starch in a bowl. Bring the cream, vanilla, and salt to just short of a boil in a saucepan. Temper the eggs with the milk (if you don't, you'll end up scrambling your eggs). Once you have everything mixed, put the entire mixture back into the saucepan, and simmer it until it thickens like a pudding. Put that in a bowl and into the fridge to cool thoroughly. I

Jam: I used a store bought strawberry jam, but if you wanted to make your own compote or jam, you'd be a star. You can use whatever you like.

Whipped Cream: I make it the way I like it, which may be sweeter than some folks.

3 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

I think that's it. Make sure everything is nice and cold. Put one layer of cake down, brush it with a little milk, juice, or i used Amaretto. Not enough to make it soggy... just a little. Then a good layer of jam (about 1/4 cup), and then half of the custard, then a healthy layer of whipped cream. Repeat that, and then put the last layer on top. Frost everything however you like, and top it with whatever fresh fruit you want. I used strawberries and blueberries, but a lot of folks like raspberries, blackberries, or marionberries.
@gpseymour , get to work!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is very possible we would feel the same way if we had a farm. When I was a little girl we used to visit a farm in the summer - it was within walking distance from the resort where we used to stay, and mom and I walked over every few days to get fresh milk. I actually did help deliver a calf one - poor little dude was breached. Not the most appetizing thing to do - since as you know you have to get your arms IN THERE - but exhilarating.

Our dogs and cats are not working animals. But we love them anyway. I can't have children, so we decided to get some four-legged ones. I honestly can't imagine how much harder the quarantine would have been without them.
I can appreciate that. I have a sister who can not have children.
You definitely have to get up in there. My preferred vet is a little lady who is about 5' flat. It is hilarious to watch her palpate. She is up on her tip-toes and all the way in to her shoulder. Such a sight. She is a gritty little thing who is a joy to work around.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
You definitely have to get up in there. My preferred vet is a little lady who is about 5' flat. It is hilarious to watch her palpate. She is up on her tip-toes and all the way in to her shoulder. Such a sight. She is a gritty little thing who is a joy to work around.
Yeah, but it's easier to dive in when you have smaller arms and hands - more room to maneuver (yes, y'all, we understand this is totally gross. :p) Especially if the baby is breached, and you have to get in there to untangle the legs and get to the head.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
we had a vet like that.
It was said he missed a few things in the baby department, due to his short size (I am not even sure he did break 5 foot! Jockey size)

But he was a good vet otherwise!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
My partner is getting tested for Covid tomorrow... she has some symptoms and now in Aus it's advised that if you have any mild cold symptoms you should get tested. Can't be at work until it comes back negative. She's sure it's just a cold, but see how we go..
Got results yesterday, negative! Whatta relief...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Oh goodness... sorry to hear, hope they'll be okay.
She is tough, but had leukemia a few years ago and went through that whole ordeal.

It seems that Australia, among other places, had done a better job with testing and treatment than the USA. Although here it varies dramatically state by state.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That would be a lot of threads to look thour

I did not think it was that hard of a question to answer.
If you look in your alerts, it’s one of those. I literally posted it in response to you because you asked the same question in another thread. Are you having a senior moment?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I'm slowly learning to avoid posting when I'm in a foul mood. Or at least responding to posts that tick me off in a foul mood (if you got an alert that i replied to one of your posts yesterday or today, it was not one of the ones that ticked me off). I'm not always the best at realizing that. On a semi-related note, if it wasn't for COVID, I'd have woken up a married man today. And yesterday was the perfect day for a wedding.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think I'm slowly learning to avoid posting when I'm in a foul mood. Or at least responding to posts that tick me off in a foul mood (if you got an alert that i replied to one of your posts yesterday or today, it was not one of the ones that ticked me off). I'm not always the best at realizing that. On a semi-related note, if it wasn't for COVID, I'd have woken up a married man today. And yesterday was the perfect day for a wedding.
Sorry to hear that. :(

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, that sucks. I hope you guys get to have your celebration soon, and that it’s a fantastic day for both of you. Heck, I hope your guests enjoy it, too, but that’s less important. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions