Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, it's different from just staying home and closing the door.
There is this heaping amount of uncertainty, and fear.
The whole situation is unreal, like nothing we ever experienced.

We all get our 'climbing the walls' moments, I am sure.
The extroverts just reached the phase last week.
A friend of mine is a supreme people person, and her job involves a lot of peopleing.
Now she works from home, with an active 3yo.....

We all will come out a little different on the other end.
Agree. I really wonder if this is not going to be a paradigm shift in many business model/practices. Some companies will not come back from this (we are already seeing restaurant closures) and others will be scrambling to adapt to new remote/online business procedures. Even service industries that traditionally have a level of insulation from influences like this will be forced to change and offer their services differently. It will for sure be another hit to the brick & mortar retail model. It is hard to see where this will all play out but it makes me glad my business deals exclusively with producers, not retailers.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agree. I really wonder if this is not going to be a paradigm shift in many business model/practices. Some companies will not come back from this (we are already seeing restaurant closures) and others will be scrambling to adapt to new remote/online business procedures. Even service industries that traditionally have a level of insulation from influences like this will be forced to change and offer their services differently. It will for sure be another hit to the brick & mortar retail model. It is hard to see where this will all play out but it makes me glad my business deals exclusively with producers, not retailers.
I've been thinking about this a lot. I hear many people say "when this is over". Well... in some ways, this will never be over. Kind of like 9/11 - that was almost 20 years ago, but the measures introduced into travel security back then are still around. Same with this. The scientists are still trying to figure out whether this virus can be eradicated altogether or whether it is going to be a seasonal thing. If it stays around, these kinds of lockdowns will have to be common until there is a reliable vaccine. And even then... I am sure some things we had to change for this will remain in place.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It is so nice when helpful people decide, without letting you know, to add your work computer to a network group to assist you while working from home...well....now I cannot connect to my main PC at all....that sure was helpful

I also suspect that one of the security systems is blocking me now, and if I cannot get to my other important work PC.... that is the case...

Dang, you have to love helpful people... I may be entirely locked out.....I will know it a few minutes

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a lot. I hear many people say "when this is over". Well... in some ways, this will never be over. Kind of like 9/11 - that was almost 20 years ago, but the measures introduced into travel security back then are still around. Same with this. The scientists are still trying to figure out whether this virus can be eradicated altogether or whether it is going to be a seasonal thing. If it stays around, these kinds of lockdowns will have to be common until there is a reliable vaccine. And even then... I am sure some things we had to change for this will remain in place.

There are a lot of those instances, of the 'when this is over'
There was The Grear Depression. It uprooted people, broke up communities and changed a lot of things we have come to take for granted (a lot of 'traditional' American recipes have been invented at the time, and became comfort foods to an extend)
Prior to that WWI changed the world.
After that WWII.

There was the Spanish Flu (that didn't originate in Spain)

Ring around the Rosie, a pocket full of Posies.

We have at this point to hope and pray, trusting that modern medicine will prevent 2/3rds of us to die (as did in the plagues)

It's scary, uncertain. And things won't be the same.

And there are a lot of things we are learning now that were not good to begin with!
That people can be without pay during a crisis like this, that our social security net is virtually non-existing for a large number of people.
It's not the rich who keep the country on the tracks.(but they are trying their best to convince us to sacrifice our loved ones for them)

Some businesses won't survive (but honestly, many might have been living on borrowed time, seeing that the people are becoming poorer and poorer....)

I dislike change, hate forced change!
when we get through this we all will be changed though, for better or worse. We will have a better appreciation for or freedoms we temporarily abandoned (some more some less) and some things will never be the same. Like air travel after 9/11.
Maybe we'll be more ready to wear masks in public as they are in many Asian countries.
And hopefully we will remember the lessons in social studies we are getting now.
Til ten we have to remember: This is not a snow day.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you MEAN you had no in-person interaction? What about me?! Listen, just because I am a hobbit doesn't mean I am not a person.
giphy.gif
Somehow, I overlooked you in that statement.

(For the folks watching from home, yes, that's a short joke. They're kind of a staple around our house.)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Worked from home today... fixed a few things for users.... in between emails I exercised on the total gym...did some taijiquan and even took the acoustic guitar down to my basement office and played some simple 12 bar blues with simple chord variations while I waited....heck.... I even worked overtime....basically I forgot to log off because I was playing guitar.......wouldn't mind going to work so much if I could do all this in the office too

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Worked from home today... fixed a few things for users.... in between emails I exercised on the total gym...did some taijiquan and even took the acoustic guitar down to my basement office and played some simple 12 bar blues with simple chord variations while I waited....heck.... I even worked overtime....basically I forgot to log off because I was playing guitar.......wouldn't mind going to work so much if I could do all this in the office too
and fewer dumb people coming in, I suppose....

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ahhhhh yes... THAT is an awesome day :D. I think we should institute those changes into the workplace, if people have added in siestas I reckon we can give this a crack!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Currently waiting up until 12am to do a Zoom video livestream karate session with a group in Dublin, Ireland! Yes, a midnight session haha. Okay, so it's at 3pm there, but I'm keen!

Just trying to stay awake at this point haha, but should be good :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
and fewer dumb people coming in, I suppose....

A person wanted to come into the office to get something fixed, but no one was there, I fixed it remotely. And based on the last time someone came in to get something fixed that got me sent home to quarantine, I was not to keen on the whole coming in to get stuff fixed thing

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Me: (doing my fiftieth lunge-passe-releve combination)
@gpseymour : This looks like work.
Me: It is work. Would you like to join me? This is really good for your knees and ankles.
Gerry: No, I must save all the energy for recording videos later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions