Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
well...working from home...and all I have so far is a meeting at 1:00.....of all the things to continue.... meetings....wow.......

My wife's been working from home for five years. She had a nine o'clock meet today...East Coast time. It was three a.m. here.

Better her than me!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My wife's been working from home for five years. She had a nine o'clock meet today...East Coast time. It was three a.m. here.

Better her than me!

Well my meeting was scheduled at 1:00 EST for 1 hour and lasted all of 15 minutes....but the flurry of emails I was sent after that took until now to finish with.

and that 3am meeting...I agree, not for me. Which is why when I went to China, a few years back, I told them I had no internet or access to anything so I could not be reached....told them the me about Norway too...I was actually surprised they bought that one for Norway

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well my meeting was scheduled at 1:00 EST for 1 hour and lasted all of 15 minutes....but the flurry of emails I was sent after that took until now to finish with.

and that 3am meeting...I agree, not for me. Which is why when I went to China, a few years back, I told them I had no internet or access to anything so I could not be reached....told them the me about Norway too...I was actually surprised they bought that one for Norway
they don't travel much...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Oh, you're good, you. Nicely done.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Don't tell anyone... but when I go to Gashen Scout Reservation, I actually have good signal because Verizon... But I don't admit it!

Story goes that a very high up Verizon exec went to the camp, in the Blue Ridge Mountains outside of Lexington, VA, and discovered that tnete wss little connectivity. The problem was fixed in fairly short order by building a tower or two aroun the property...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Don't tell anyone... but when I go to Gashen Scout Reservation, I actually have good signal because Verizon... But I don't admit it!

Story goes that a very high up Verizon exec went to the camp, in the Blue Ridge Mountains outside of Lexington, VA, and discovered that tnete wss little connectivity. The problem was fixed in fairly short order by building a tower or two aroun the property...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Years ago, when I use to work my uncles tree farm, Adelphia Communications Corporation was in the town at the bottom of the mountain....there was absolutely no service at all there, no internet, no cable, no cell service, nothing. Thought that was rather ironic, but considering what happened with Adelphia, maybe not so shocking after all

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wish... I had the tea...we're all out of bean buns...and with everyone staying home. Mrs Xue is calorie counting like crazy (all 5'3" 105 lbs of her)...and we all have to to...so....no bean buns during the pandemic....DANG IT!!!!
that is EVIL!!!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's for the extroverts....they suffer, you know!
"Shelter in place" is not as simple as being hard for extroverts and easy for introverts. There is more to it.

I am an introvert. A borderline personality disorder introvert.... high on the autistic spectrum. First of all, this is CHANGE. Ask anyone with my characteristics, how they like change - especially radical change. Warning - climbing up walls is likely.

Also, as an introvert, I don't become attached to people easily, but, once I am attached, it's a very strong attachment. So, suddenly not being able to see my friends, whom it took a HUGE amount of effort for me to make, is devastating.

I am not going to bristle at all the jokes about introverts going "Yay!" about all this. I get it - we need to be able to laugh at this. But I did want to point out it's not quite as simple as that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Shelter in place" is not as simple as being hard for extroverts and easy for introverts. There is more to it.

I am an introvert. A borderline personality disorder introvert.... high on the autistic spectrum. First of all, this is CHANGE. Ask anyone with my characteristics, how they like change - especially radical change. Warning - climbing up walls is likely.

Also, as an introvert, I don't become attached to people easily, but, once I am attached, it's a very strong attachment. So, suddenly not being able to see my friends, whom it took a HUGE amount of effort for me to make, is devastating.

I am not going to bristle at all the jokes about introverts going "Yay!" about all this. I get it - we need to be able to laugh at this. But I did want to point out it's not quite as simple as that.
And I wonder if there's not something to all the jokes about Gen-X being well suited to this. I'm much more extraverted (for those who know this stuff, on the extraverted side of "ambivert"), but much more comfortable with isolation. Granted, at the moment I'm getting some passing interaction with folks via DoorDash (and passing interaction is often enough for extraverts), but I had no in-person interaction for a bit more than 2 weeks, and I do okay with that.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
And I wonder if there's not something to all the jokes about Gen-X being well suited to this. I'm much more extraverted (for those who know this stuff, on the extraverted side of "ambivert"), but much more comfortable with isolation. Granted, at the moment I'm getting some passing interaction with folks via DoorDash (and passing interaction is often enough for extraverts), but I had no in-person interaction for a bit more than 2 weeks, and I do okay with that.
What do you MEAN you had no in-person interaction? What about me?! Listen, just because I am a hobbit doesn't mean I am not a person.
giphy.gif

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wish... I had the tea...we're all out of bean buns...and with everyone staying home. Mrs Xue is calorie counting like crazy (all 5'3" 105 lbs of her)...and we all have to to...so....no bean buns during the pandemic....DANG IT!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

Better her than me!
At one point, during one of my previous jobs, we were working on a project where we had team members in India, Ireland, North Carolina, and California. So, we had to somehow finagle the meetings to accommodate everyone. One of the meetings was 9 am eastern time, so it was mid-afternoon for the Ireland team and late evening for the India team. Who complained? California team - because it fell on their lunch hour. :p

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yes, it's different from just staying home and closing the door.
There is this heaping amount of uncertainty, and fear.
The whole situation is unreal, like nothing we ever experienced.

We all get our 'climbing the walls' moments, I am sure.
The extroverts just reached the phase last week.
A friend of mine is a supreme people person, and her job involves a lot of peopleing.
Now she works from home, with an active 3yo.....

We all will come out a little different on the other end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions