Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, it appears my brush with Covid in my office has spooked everyone, I have been told I can work from home as long as is needed and a lot more, who were also essential, are now doing the same.

Do not know if the person that I was exposed to was positive or not, but over 14 days after mm exposure I feel fine.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Also just discovered that not only are people in my area, just like every other area, hoarding toilet paper....In a city between my home and here I work, they appear to be hoarding cakes and bake goods to...don't know how wide spread this is yet. But it is better than hoarding toilet paper...or maybe it is why they are hoarding toilet paper

Last edited:
OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a grip on why people whom I know and respect and know have the ability to read and understand laws and executive orders are having trouble understanding a "stay at home" order.
All individuals in Virginia shall remain at their place of residence, except as provided below by this Order and Executive Order 53.

The Parks & Rec Department at work has tried really hard to keep the parks open as much as they can -- but idiots that can't keep the concept of social distancing are close to blowing that. Someone I know decided today was a great day to travel 1 hour to Skyline Drive. It WAS a beautiful day, and I'd have loved to that -- but all the guidance I have received suggests that we should be limiting our outdoor activities to those close enough to home to get there by bike or foot... Someone else wanted to take our kids camping.

I just don't get it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... maybe not the most common. But definitely in the top ten. Because there is also "There wolf - there castle". And "Supergreen!". And "Tomatoes are fags! - You mean fruits, sir!" And, "Hello, Sue! I've got legs!"
I meant from Zorro The Gay Blade. But yeah, it's in my top 10 from all movies.

EDIT: And you misquoted Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. We'll discuss this later. :grumpy:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting....
I am sort of chasing the perfect flavor, but have not considered roasting yet.

What would you consider to be a good beginner bean?

Yeah that's where roasting allows you to get it to the sweet spot that you enjoy the bean at :). Not sure what green beans are available in your area, but I know India Elephant Hills AA beans are very easy to roast, along with Colombian Vulcan Galeras Supremo, Brazil Pulped Natural, Peru Ceja de Selva...

In GENERAL any African natural/dry-processed beans can be a bit trickier to roast... but those ones above are much easier and less 'wild' in the roasting process.

Definitely ask whoever sells them which are some good starter ones :). I started out roasting with a simple popcorn popper! It allows you to learn alot of the fundamentals while still getting actually decent results. Until you want even better quality, consistency and bigger roast batches and wanna upgrade :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well damn. Her second test came back positive for corinavirus, she's in ICU, and now they're doing a lung scan on her hubby who is also sick now.
Ah wow... that sucks man... hoping they're okay

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a grip on why people whom I know and respect and know have the ability to read and understand laws and executive orders are having trouble understanding a "stay at home" order.
All individuals in Virginia shall remain at their place of residence, except as provided below by this Order and Executive Order 53.

The Parks & Rec Department at work has tried really hard to keep the parks open as much as they can -- but idiots that can't keep the concept of social distancing are close to blowing that. Someone I know decided today was a great day to travel 1 hour to Skyline Drive. It WAS a beautiful day, and I'd have loved to that -- but all the guidance I have received suggests that we should be limiting our outdoor activities to those close enough to home to get there by bike or foot... Someone else wanted to take our kids camping.

I just don't get it.
Yeah.... it's mindboggling... same is happening here, but many people are just not listening and thinking it'll be fine. Hundres of people have been FLOCKING to beaches on warm days, thinking that they'll be able to keep distance but people just aren't...

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did a GNARLY 1.5-hour Barre workout followed by an hour of belly dance rehearsal. Ow.
Awesome, great stuff! Loooove the music you put to it... felt like you were preparing for the battle to end all battles!!!

And your puppy was soooooo cute!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
My pup often comes to join me while I train, wants to give it a go herself!
d8c525746d32e8f8e3ca360c9edd391c.jpg

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I just don't get it.
Agree. We are in TN and also have had a few days of beautiful weather. Several people I know loaded their side-by-sides up and drove about 1 1/2 hours to go trail riding. Apparently a couple hundred riders were there. (it is a big area). The owner of the riding area let them ride but he had to call the law toward the end of the day when groups started congregating after the ride was over. I heard some people go pretty ugly about being told to go home or be fined.
I just don't get it.

I have spent the last two days doing field preparation, spreading seed & fertilizer. When doing this I am alone in the middle of large fields so very much social distancing. On my 2nd trip back from the fertilizer plant a state trooper fell in behind me and I thought for sure he was going to pull me over but thankfully never did. Agriculture is deemed essential so I have to get the hay fields ready.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awesome, great stuff! Loooove the music you put to it... felt like you were preparing for the battle to end all battles!!!

And your puppy was soooooo cute!
It's the opening track from "Cartographer" by E. S. Posthumus - the instrumental version (the other half of the album has vocals). And yeah, Cooper decided to get into the side stretches with me. :)

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah that's where roasting allows you to get it to the sweet spot that you enjoy the bean at :). Not sure what green beans are available in your area, but I know India Elephant Hills AA beans are very easy to roast, along with Colombian Vulcan Galeras Supremo, Brazil Pulped Natural, Peru Ceja de Selva...

In GENERAL any African natural/dry-processed beans can be a bit trickier to roast... but those ones above are much easier and less 'wild' in the roasting process.

Definitely ask whoever sells them which are some good starter ones :). I started out roasting with a simple popcorn popper! It allows you to learn alot of the fundamentals while still getting actually decent results. Until you want even better quality, consistency and bigger roast batches and wanna upgrade :)
To boost a good local business -- check out www.caffeamouri.com. You might have to contact them directly about unroasted beans.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree. We are in TN and also have had a few days of beautiful weather. Several people I know loaded their side-by-sides up and drove about 1 1/2 hours to go trail riding. Apparently a couple hundred riders were there. (it is a big area). The owner of the riding area let them ride but he had to call the law toward the end of the day when groups started congregating after the ride was over. I heard some people go pretty ugly about being told to go home or be fined.
I just don't get it.

I have spent the last two days doing field preparation, spreading seed & fertilizer. When doing this I am alone in the middle of large fields so very much social distancing. On my 2nd trip back from the fertilizer plant a state trooper fell in behind me and I thought for sure he was going to pull me over but thankfully never did. Agriculture is deemed essential so I have to get the hay fields ready.

That's part of the problem. I mountain bike. In theory, you could ride the trails in a group, maintain distance. In reality, after a bit, you'll bunch up, and at the end of the ride, everyone's going to end up in cluster... Or, you drive up to Skyline Drive. You're in your own car, all is good, right? Except you stop at that overlook (visitor centers are closed) or hit a nice view on a hike... and now there's 6 or 10 or 20 or 30 people coming together...

I've got my issues with how and the intent of this shelter-in-place, social distancing thing... and the whole pandemic response and panic ... but I'm not an epidimiologist. They are saying it's necessary. OK -- the sooner we all freakin' do it -- the sooner we can freakin' stop and get back to a more normal life.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't think social distancing is panic, but there are certainly a lot of folks panicking.

Listened to a Wudang Taoist thoughts on this and he pretty much said, what is to be expected from a Taoist, maintain balance. To be more precise he said take it seriously, but not to seriously, in other words, take social distancing seriously to help fight the spread of the virus, do what you need to do to protect yourself, your family and others, but don't panic.

Basically maintain balance, Yin & Yang.

I think my whole office panicked after my possible exposure, which was from one of our users, heck I think I was panicking the day I went in to work and they then sent me home due to a possible exposure. It is not easy to maintain that balance when every single day you are hit with pandemic news on the TV, Computer, paper, and smartphone. But there is something I use to say when I was in security in a hospital during the HIV panic, and coincidentally the taoist said something very similar. "If you can do something about a problem, do it, no need to panic. If can't do anything about it, why panic, there is nothing you can do.

I know, from personal experience, that i easier said than done

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Was just looking over my supplies....and I may run out of coffee beans soon.....however I am not a big coffee drinker so that is not the real problem....Tea is the real problem.... it made me panic and go check my tea situation.....not to worry...with all the tea Mrs Xue brings back from China and the Tea relative from China bring when they come visit....as long as this pandemic lockdown is over before 2025....I think Im good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions