Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Boo hizz
I hate lousy jobs like this.

Well, they didn't make you train your replacement.
Haha, yeah thankfully, although the owner has asked if he could hang round and watch at my next shift to see how I do things. I'm really not sure I'm up for that... nor whether I even want my last shift.. If the fellow asked me how I found working there I don't think I would hold back, I'd be honest

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
We had snow in Texas yesterday... had snow. I took pictures ,but literally every other picture was me with my eyes closed ,and in all of them I had a goofy grin...
We had some too over the weekend!
85060220_2889174837770929_1138432544102940672_o.jpg

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well saga update: As we continue to wait for one thing or the other (weather, the availability of the drilling rig) to start working on the well, we decided to engage in some arithmetic. I wish we hadn't. Gerry looked up how much a gallon of water weights. It's 8 pounds. Which means a 5-gallon bucket of water weights 40 pounds. Give or take. Which is ridiculous. I've never lifted anything heavier than 25 pounds in one arm. Not ever. And now he is telling me I've been hauling 40 pounds a pop.

Our little 35-gallon water storage tank requires 7 such buckets. 320 pounds of water. By this point, both of us had had a chance to fill the tank all the way on our own. So, each one of us had hauled at least 320 pounds of water. On a daily basis, each one of us tries to bring up at least three buckets each - to keep the tank full and have water in the bathroom to flush the toilet at all times. So, each day, each of us hauls at least 120 pounds of water.

I really didn't need to know this about my life. Reached a bonkers point yesterday, where I apparently needed to have a breakdown, which I did. Lasted about half an hour.

The drilling rig is on site today. Heard back about 3 hours ago - they were down to 300 feet and still no improvement. There is some consistent dribbling but very slow. So, the plan now to go down to 500 and give me all that storage. Then we'll have to wait for a few days for the well to fill up and develop some reasonably good pressure. And then we'll be able to use it.

I was at the dentist's this morning, and he told me he has a whooping 800-foot deep well, and it works the same way - 1.5 gallons a minute which is TERRIBLE but it works because it's so deep. You just have to make sure you NEVER leave the garden hose running, otherwise you have to wait forever for it to fill back up.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well 2020 has certainly started off not with a quiet whisper... but a heavy, intense clanging sound...

Now being forced out of my job pretty much... I was absolutely going to leave anyway (due to seriously disgusting ways they running this place), and I knew they'd advertised my job but weren't rushing with it, they've now found someone and sprung it on me. It was them wanting to change the role from casual to part-time (to save money of course), which I had no interest in, but they hadn't even let me know or discussed it with me at all prior to putting it up, just assumed that I would apply for it. So onward I go.

Knew it was gonna happen but just not this soon. Been having serious anxiety attacks about even going to work after this holiday break, but now get this news and I'll have no job very soon...

Just trying to breathe at this stage... not coping very well with life at all but taking very small steps. That is all.
I hate job hunting. Best of luck with it! In the meantime, are there any options for you somewhere like Fiverr or Gigbucks?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well saga update: As we continue to wait for one thing or the other (weather, the availability of the drilling rig) to start working on the well, we decided to engage in some arithmetic. I wish we hadn't. Gerry looked up how much a gallon of water weights. It's 8 pounds. Which means a 5-gallon bucket of water weights 40 pounds. Give or take. Which is ridiculous. I've never lifted anything heavier than 25 pounds in one arm. Not ever. And now he is telling me I've been hauling 40 pounds a pop.

Our little 35-gallon water storage tank requires 7 such buckets. 320 pounds of water. By this point, both of us had had a chance to fill the tank all the way on our own. So, each one of us had hauled at least 320 pounds of water. On a daily basis, each one of us tries to bring up at least three buckets each - to keep the tank full and have water in the bathroom to flush the toilet at all times. So, each day, each of us hauls at least 120 pounds of water.

I really didn't need to know this about my life. Reached a bonkers point yesterday, where I apparently needed to have a breakdown, which I did. Lasted about half an hour.

The drilling rig is on site today. Heard back about 3 hours ago - they were down to 300 feet and still no improvement. There is some consistent dribbling but very slow. So, the plan now to go down to 500 and give me all that storage. Then we'll have to wait for a few days for the well to fill up and develop some reasonably good pressure. And then we'll be able to use it.

I was at the dentist's this morning, and he told me he has a whooping 800-foot deep well, and it works the same way - 1.5 gallons a minute which is TERRIBLE but it works because it's so deep. You just have to make sure you NEVER leave the garden hose running, otherwise you have to wait forever for it to fill back up.

I cannot say I understand the math. It is a function of the pump and pipe size which I think should be 3"-4" that deep (hence the long vertical 'tank'). Check out this website: 500ft+ - Premium Pumps USA | premiumpupsusa.com . There are dozens, probably hundreds, of pump suppliers out there that sell 500' plus pumps that go WAY past 1.5gpm.
Questions I would ask:
Why the limited gpm? Unless you already know it is simply a weak well. If so, the rest of this is moot.
What is the pressure and flow at the head?
What horsepower/gpm pump are they using?
What is the pipe size and what is the distance from the pump to the house?
Is the bladder tank working properly?
Assuming you have adequate electrical service (a 3 horsepower pump at 220VAC single phase is going to pull around 17-18 amps) this should not be an issue either.

Relocation the well is just not an option? Is sounds like ya'll are up on a pretty big hill.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I cannot say I understand the math. It is a function of the pump and pipe size which I think should be 3"-4" that deep (hence the long vertical 'tank'). Check out this website: 500ft+ - Premium Pumps USA | premiumpupsusa.com . There are dozens, probably hundreds, of pump suppliers out there that sell 500' plus pumps that go WAY past 1.5gpm.
Questions I would ask:
Why the limited gpm? Unless you already know it is simply a weak well. If so, the rest of this is moot.
Assuming you have adequate electrical service (a 3 horsepower pump at 220VAC single phase is going to pull around 17-18 amps) this should not be an issue either.

Relocation the well is just not an option? Is sounds like ya'll are up on a pretty big hill.
The limited gpm is due to the weak well. So, as you said, the rest is moot. And there aren't many places to dig another well because of the slope. There is literally only one spot where a well-drilling rig can sit.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hate job hunting. Best of luck with it! In the meantime, are there any options for you somewhere like Fiverr or Gigbucks?
Thanks heaps.. ah yeah have checked out Fiverr before, feels really odd that site... like a real competitive dog eat dog sort of feel.. I'll have a browse still and see what I could offer. Thanks so much for the suggestion

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks heaps.. ah yeah have checked out Fiverr before, feels really odd that site... like a real competitive dog eat dog sort of feel.. I'll have a browse still and see what I could offer. Thanks so much for the suggestion
Honestly, I don't know of any indie gig site that doesn't feel like that. Much like the indie writing and publishing world. :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Time to ad some tanks to the setup and collect rainwater

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Questions I would ask:

Just to clarify - and I should have done that to begin with - 1.5 gpm is not the pump speed. It's the well filling speed. The pump is normal, and we'll be able to turn it on once they are done drilling AND once the well is done filling up. So, the pump will essentially sit at the bottom of a 500-foot deep water cistern, which means we'll be a lot less likely to run out of water than when we had an 85-foot deep well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Questions I would ask:

The stated GPM is production in the well, not pumping rate.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For stuff beyond those small gigs, take a look at Upwork.com. I don't know what skills you have, but I've hired web designers, VA's, and such that way.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Quick stop to say hi and to say it looks like I am going for more knee surgery, this time the other knee.....torn meniscus and a stress fracture of the Tibia......surgery is scheduled on the most apropos day possible..... April 1

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well saga update: like the conclusion of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, this is very slow and has multiple endings (just nowhere near as glamorous or ***-kicky). The drilling is wrapping up today. We stopped at 505 feet. We were able to accelerate the well output to 5 gallons per minute, which is not bad at all - that's 300 gallons per hour, and considering we'll have this DEEP honking well, we should be ok in terms of capacity.

However, since the well was built in the 1970s, an NC inspector has to come back and take photos of the inside of the well. It's a state requirement that was introduced after the well was originally built. Basically, it's to make sure it has no intention of falling in on itself. This is, after all, the mountains.

Once that's done, the well drilling guys can get out of the way and clear the space to the well pump guys so they could re-pipe the pump and drop it back in there. Fingers crossed - we are hoping to have running water by this weekend.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Quick stop to say hi and to say it looks like I am going for more knee surgery, this time the other knee.....torn meniscus and a stress fracture of the Tibia......surgery is scheduled on the most apropos day possible..... April 1
Well damn.... we should have running water by then, which means we won't be able to offer physical therapy in the form of hauling buckets of water up hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions