Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wish I could be there.
Do you have a filtration system at the house for the incoming water and a surge/storage tank? If so, the main concern is an acceptable level of water clarity coming to the house filtration system. There should be a tag on the house filtration tank(s)/canister(s) giving a minimum recommended inlet rating, probably in microns. ***The 'average' potable water is filtered to 1-5 microns for small particle/clay reduction, and chemicals (Iodine & Chlorine) are added to offset this and other effects. In your scenario (assuming you have a filter system at the house) this value will not change for you. Thus, your main concern should be clarity coming to the filtration system to minimize filter cleaning frequency/issues.

There are tons of various inlet filtration systems that can be fit/retrofit to your inlet pump or piping. Ours like many is cobble up to fit our application. it largely comes down to demand. The nice thing about conical sock filters is they are easily changed and can be washed and reused. You just match the inlet filter micron size to the inlet requirements of your house filtration system. Just make sure you are getting media that filters from the Outside to the Inside.
We also built a simple system with a flow switch in the pump outlet line and logic to monitor inlet flow that serves multiple purposes.
1.) It gives a source for an indicator light at the house to know when there is no flow (clogged filter or other problem). We have it set up so the light comes on when the pump is calling to run but there is no flow after a specific time. Of course no available water is usually the first indication of a problem.
2.) To keep from burning up the pump from zero water flow).

I hope this is of some help. If you did in fact loose the bottom of your well (sounds like it) you are back to 'rolling of dice' on well drilling, if the surface/near surface solution is not adequate.

I read where someone asked if there has been any drilling or fracking near you. When I was pretty young I saw the effects of a rock quarry blasting down to the water table. The quarry flooded and 3 local ponds/lakes (1 of ours) lost their bottom and went dry. I hope this is not your situation.

I wish for a quick and easy solution. Please let me know how it goes.
Will do. Meanwhile, check out the latest in the mountain survival chic and my non-potable water setup. :) I'll let @gpseymour describe how exactly I get the water - I showed him this morning. I know it's hysterical - especially since my entire methodology revolves around the fact that I am super-short and have dwarfish arms and legs, so I can't reach ANYTHING.

83388783_2870031596351920_1252138702298152960_o.jpg

83798793_2870244772997269_2385211122920718336_n.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will do. Meanwhile, check out the latest in the mountain survival chic and my non-potable water setup. :) I'll let @gpseymour describe how exactly I get the water - I showed him this morning. I know it's hysterical - especially since my entire methodology revolves around the fact that I am super-short and have dwarfish arms and legs, so I can't reach ANYTHING.

83388783_2870031596351920_1252138702298152960_o.jpg

83798793_2870244772997269_2385211122920718336_n.jpg
I'll leave most of it to folks' imaginations, except to say that there's a two-level rock ledge involved, an arabesque, and the orange bucket pictured in the Hobbit's post.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll leave most of it to folks' imaginations, except to say that there's a two-level rock ledge involved, an arabesque, and the orange bucket pictured in the Hobbit's post.
I am in awe that she is lugging 5g buckets around
Full of cold water....

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess you got gimpy knees....that's why she is hauling water...
No, we are both hauling now. I was hauling alone before because @gpseymour was out of town when the well died. The well died on Tuesday, and he didn't come home until late Friday. So, I couldn't very well go without water that entire time, so I rigged my own setup and did the best I could with it. We are revamping it now a little to make it more convenient.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, here is before and after. This is how I had to get water while on my own. I also had a smaller pan handy to finish filling the big bucket - I couldn't get the big bucket more than half full and then haul it up, it's just too heavy for me.
83162430_2876364752385271_7719395135426920448_o.jpg

Much easier with two people. Grabbed the tank, hoisted it into the back of my car, drove the car down to the bottom of the driveway closer to the BIG creek with really good flow and good depth to reduce the amount of silt. Washed out the tank, cleaned the buckets, put ten gallons into the tank, 15 more into the buckets, drove backup. Unloading was tough - my legs and back are SHOT, so I wasn't much help with the tank. But the setup is much improved now, and we have 20 gallons in. A couple more buckets - and we are back to the almost full tank.
83803282_2876368735718206_1674070358107357184_o.jpg

P. S. That water is DAMN cold. Up here in the mountains the creeks are icy-cold even in the middle of July - let alone in February.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess you got gimpy knees....that's why she is hauling water...
I was in Alabama when the well went dry. I do most of the hauling now. Knees are actually a bit better (though still not good) since I had my foot surgery. I’m taking any excuse to strengthen my legs.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was in Alabama when the well went dry. I do most of the hauling now. Knees are actually a bit better (though still not good) since I had my foot surgery. I’m taking any excuse to strengthen my legs.
Hey, I can still haul, but you don't like my approach. Apparently it's too slow. :p

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So it WAS you I saw in Walmart! (just kidding)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Alabama....every time I hear Alabama all I can think about is the wonderful food.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alabama....every time I hear Alabama all I can think about is the wonderful food.
Unfortunately, I brought all my food with me, and didn't get to sample any local cooking. This client doesn't pay a lot (and doesn't reimburse meals), so I generally don't eat out, to keep from eating the profits.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My favorite things in Alabama:

BBQ
Shrimp & Grits
Banana Pudding - Must have
Pecan Pie
Crawfish - Must have

Get to Mobile and the Gulf Coast seafood is a good as any you can find. Find an AJ's for the best Grouper ever. You will have to drive over to Pensacola.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
My favorite things in Alabama:

BBQ
Shrimp & Grits
Banana Pudding - Must have
Pecan Pie
Crawfish - Must have

Get to Mobile and the Gulf Coast seafood is a good as any you can find. Find an AJ's for the best Grouper ever. You will have to drive over to Pensacola.
Definitely BBQ. Definitely shrimp and grits. HATE banana pudding - you can have my share. Big yes on pecan pie. And I'll eat all the seafood I can get my hands on.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've never been to Alabama. What do they have that's worth trying should I ever find myself there?

Ribs, fried green tomatoes, hush puppies, gumbo, grits, fried chicken and buttermilk waffles, crawfish, orange rolls, pulled pork anything, fried chicken, pecan pie, fried catfish, collard greens.....somebody stop me.....

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I brought all my food with me, and didn't get to sample any local cooking. This client doesn't pay a lot (and doesn't reimburse meals), so I generally don't eat out, to keep from eating the profits.
Where were you?

Status
Not open for further replies.