Not open for further replies.
OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's good. It means the crumple zones worked, and absorbed all the kinetic energy that would otherwise have impacted the passengers. That's a big part of why there were no ambulances.
A firefighter buddy and I were surveying the mechanical carnage of a 3 car wreck where a left turning vehicle failed to yield and was struck broadside by 2 cars not too long ago. At least 2, if not all 3 cars were totalled. We both were struck by the fact that nobody was going to the hospital, and the only injuries were bumps and scrapes. We both could remember when that crash would have had multiple people going to the hospital...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Some folks purchased a house across the street from my property. Always liked that house, liked the way the trees framed and accented the property.... all were healthy pine trees...... the new owner...clear cut the property, and IMO, it looks awful. It is a stone front house, never new it was stone front, until the trees were gone. Also, I think it was my time on the tree farm, But cutting down healthy trees, that are no threat to the house, upsets me.

Well, its not my house, but I think it now stands out as a bit of a sore thumb in a neighborhood full of houses with trees around them...

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
SHEESH...a guys got 4 whole years in an art and he is an expert :rolleyes:
I refrained from reacting to that... I think that qualifies me for some sort of medal...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is indeed. But we just heard from her new human this morning.

If I could figure out how to post the pic he sent I would. She is one happy and content kitty.
I'm glad you found a good home for her. Hope you get to see her sometimes.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A firefighter buddy and I were surveying the mechanical carnage of a 3 car wreck where a left turning vehicle failed to yield and was struck broadside by 2 cars not too long ago. At least 2, if not all 3 cars were totalled. We both were struck by the fact that nobody was going to the hospital, and the only injuries were bumps and scrapes. We both could remember when that crash would have had multiple people going to the hospital...

Yeah, I've had some frustrating discussions with people who had accidents, were protected PERFECTLY by their cars, and wouldn't buy the same model because it "just crumpled up so badly in that wreck - I don't trust them".

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I was a LEO in the 80's & 90's. I still have stark memories of a wreck I worked where a 1978 Cadillac lost control at interstate speed, went off a small bank and hit a tree broadside, perfectly at the door post. The impact was so hard that the front and back bumpers were less than 12" apart. Drivers side impact and of course way before air bags or crumple zones, or before people were regularly wearing seat belts. The driver had zero chance of surviving and I would question if a passenger would have. That was a badly bizarre day.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wait... you care about kinetic energy in cars? [emoji1]

Of course I do. It's a HUGE factor in handling, especially at speeds which might possibly exceed the random number pulled out of the collective rectum of a politician and posted as the legal speed limit.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Back in the early 90s, when I was in hospital security, I was in a conversation with a State Police Officer and a Deputy Sheriff about the Dodge Viper having a top speed in the 160s. The trooper said that Dodge is keeping a bit of Viper standard equipment secret, coffin came standard. Hit a tree at 160 and it is also your coffin, because they would never be able to get the body out. Cars today are built a bit safer....but I still would not want to hit a tree in excess of 160mph

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw bats in my backyard yesterday... they flew out of my neighbor's tree ,and startled my dog...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
source.gif

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Went back to catch up on a thread, saw the OP posting that it's literally impossible for a college wrestler to be taken down, and had to give up. I don't have the time or brain capacity to spend on that drivel.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I never thought I would live to see the day when cars became disposable but I feel we are there.
No, this one actually lasted quite some time - considering it was already used when bought, and @gpseymour had it for some years. So... not too bad. But now we have to replace it.... having just replaced our washer and dryer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions