Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@granfire yeah I'm guessing it was more of a cry for help than anything else. Especially if none of you know his wife. Not that that means it shouldn't be taken seriously.

Personally now that he's back, I would ask him for his phone number and/or his wife's number in case something happens again, so you can actually call somebody or make a report (police should be able to track by phone).

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
thanks!
The format is a little restricted and virtually no way to get to the management level of the platform (one of the mobile games)
The wife is also part of the group, but she wasn't online.
The remark was so out of character, it shocked us.
By the time we read the remark he had gone offline.

I am sure his wife was clued in, if after the fact, since somebody send her the screenshot in a PM (on a different platform, one I have not accessed yet). According to him, he's a Marine, probably a vet...

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks!
The format is a little restricted and virtually no way to get to the management level of the platform (one of the mobile games)
The wife is also part of the group, but she wasn't online.
The remark was so out of character, it shocked us.
By the time we read the remark he had gone offline.

I am sure his wife was clued in, if after the fact, since somebody send her the screenshot in a PM (on a different platform, one I have not accessed yet). According to him, he's a Marine, probably a vet...

Putting on a mildly official hat here, in fact, two of them.

You can't take a comment like that lightly. But...

You can't really do much about this. Let's assume you can ID his IP address -- you still don't know if it's passing through an anonymizer, etc. It may not give a street address, even under ideal circumstances. You may know his name -- or at least what he told you online was his name. Is it real?

Here's what we'd do here at MT: not a heck of a lot. Our real name policy is weaker than it used to be. Even with that, we didn't have detailed address info. We might -- stress MIGHT -- have enough to notify officials.

What would I do at work? Start going down rabbit holes... because we don't have much to go on. "Someone reported a threat made online. We don't know the subject's full name, where he lives, whether he's in a car..."

The best advice I can offer is to share suicide support numbers with them. Call the gamer on the comment immediately - "whoa, dude -- do you need someone? Call..." If you happen to KNOW (not believe) whereabouts they live, full name details, etc., contact the police. You can also call a suicide support line yourself.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Putting on a mildly official hat here, in fact, two of them.

You can't take a comment like that lightly. But...

You can't really do much about this. Let's assume you can ID his IP address -- you still don't know if it's passing through an anonymizer, etc. It may not give a street address, even under ideal circumstances. You may know his name -- or at least what he told you online was his name. Is it real?

Here's what we'd do here at MT: not a heck of a lot. Our real name policy is weaker than it used to be. Even with that, we didn't have detailed address info. We might -- stress MIGHT -- have enough to notify officials.

What would I do at work? Start going down rabbit holes... because we don't have much to go on. "Someone reported a threat made online. We don't know the subject's full name, where he lives, whether he's in a car..."

The best advice I can offer is to share suicide support numbers with them. Call the gamer on the comment immediately - "whoa, dude -- do you need someone? Call..." If you happen to KNOW (not believe) whereabouts they live, full name details, etc., contact the police. You can also call a suicide support line yourself.

Thanks. Yes, it was a tough one. The upside, it is a phone based game, there is a better chance of finding the user as long as the device is on, but one needs to know the ID/number. and part of the whole experience is that its partly anonymous. Totally got you there.
And with 'I think they live in Ohio' it reduced the haystack just a little. I totally got this.

Unfortunately the time between the remark and him signing off was too short to respond.
The downside to having this screen to hide behind.

That feeling of helplessness really sucks though.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a friend who learned to write with both hands (broke each wrist twice as a kid). Then he learned to write with both at the same time. Not a natural thing for him - just something he felt like doing. This is the same guy who made up a language he and his siblings used (so adults and other kids couldn't follow their conversations), wrote an opera for his wedding (I ran lights), and performed (with two of the aforementioned siblings) an absolutely marvelous "Carol of the Bells" on handbells. Ridiculous man.
my aunt could write with both hands at once, one forwards and one backwards, neat trick, but no money in it

Last edited:

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I like my workout music to be Handel and Vivaldi.....does that mean I'm old :D
Oh... I don't know... It's bright, energetic. I wrote my entire Master Thesis to Bach's Brandenburg concerti and Beethoven's symphonies. The only problem is - Handel and Vivaldi didn't write workout music. Theirs was known as "table music" - the stuff court orchestras played during meals.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, he's been bad....posting truth and all that kind of divisive nonsense...

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is all news to me, I don't do FaceBook
Someone can report you for something they claim to be disagreeable, and you may end up banned from FaceBook for a period of time. That is what is referred to as being in FaceBook jail. I have been known to report some people who were spreading obvious lies, attempting to incite panic among the population. I've also reported hate speech. In most cases I just block people - that's an equivalent of ignoring someone here: you can't see their posts, they can't see yours, and if they try to get to your account, they can't.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well.....I'm Bored....so.....without further adieu

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Wow that was amazing... it truly looked like he was doing mobility exercises and stretching XD. And what was with that matchstick bit XD

Thanks Xue for bringing some laughter on this day, things are absolutely horrendous at the moment over here and future is very uncertain, so thank you brother

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Someone can report you for something they claim to be disagreeable, and you may end up banned from FaceBook for a period of time. That is what is referred to as being in FaceBook jail. I have been known to report some people who were spreading obvious lies, attempting to incite panic among the population. I've also reported hate speech. In most cases I just block people - that's an equivalent of ignoring someone here: you can't see their posts, they can't see yours, and if they try to get to your account, they can't.
there are different levels of FB jail:
you can see, perhaps rate, but not post, except in PMs
or you can't even check your PMs.

a friend of mine kept getting into trouble for posting facts (the SHOCK) with certain crowds.
FB tends not to ask questions, but throw the book at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions