Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow.... how Charlie Chaplin of him.

As he related to me when I asked as a young man - "It was a very romantic relationship, I was a bartender, your mom was a waitress, and if it wasn't for a bottle of Jamesons you wouldn't be here. In fact, your first name was almost "Youre what?!"

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
As he related to me when I asked as a young man - "It was a very romantic relationship, I was a bartender, your mom was a waitress, and if it wasn't for a bottle of Jamesons you wouldn't be here. In fact, your first name was almost "Youre what?!"
Ahhh.... romance in the air!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well its Monday...and you know what...I did not miss technology at all....and if it was not for my job (IT) I think I'd swear the stuff off for good...well...not the smart phone, that is how the kids and the wife get a hold of me when they need me..... but the rest...would be in the trash bin next week

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well its Monday...and you know what...I did not miss technology at all....and if it was not for my job (IT) I think I'd swear the stuff off for good...well...not the smart phone, that is how the kids and the wife get a hold of me when they need me..... but the rest...would be in the trash bin next week
Honestly, if I didn't have access to the virtual space, I don't know how I would interact with people. Peopling in person is terrifying.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Honestly, if I didn't have access to the virtual space, I don't know how I would interact with people. Peopling in person is terrifying.

Sadly, I am of the opinion, that peopling in person is becoming a lost art due to technology.....

A few years back I use to love working on the tree farm, because technology did not work there, no cell phones, no wireless, no cable, nothing.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never liked peopling with multiple people in person, and that goes back to pretechnological times...

I'm usually quite happy to people with a person because a person is almost invariably reasonable - but change it to people and it gets ridiculous.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you think that is a generational thing? Social skills were something we were formally taught at home and at school. Too many people worry about stepping on little Johnny's toes now a days. The result is little Johnny does not learn how to handle adversity, gets upset and angry at the slightest thing, and mom or dad or some shrink ends up putting them on medication. A sad and vicious circle.

***Edit: WARNING!!! Grumpy old man coming out again.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sadly, I am of the opinion, that peopling in person is becoming a lost art due to technology.....

A few years back I use to love working on the tree farm, because technology did not work there, no cell phones, no wireless, no cable, nothing.
Very cool. What kind of trees are in a tree farm?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ha! Xue, your funnier than I thought... however nobody could really forgo technology. Where would we be without television?, How would you spend your freetime without a DVD player/blu ray player?, how would you listen to music without an Ipod?, and don't even get me started on the internet... :beaver:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ha! Xue, your funnier than I thought... however nobody could really forgo technology. Where would we be without television?, How would you spend your freetime without a DVD player/blu ray player?, how would you listen to music without an Ipod?, and don't even get me started on the internet... :beaver:
Ah, Whippersnapper....we old people had entertainment long before the invention of the 'iPod' or the 'Internet'
It was called books, vinyl records, even reel to reel, or actual movies....

or 'hobbies', like making stuff.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah, Whippersnapper....we old people had entertainment long before the invention of the 'iPod' or the 'Internet'

Of course! Absolutely! You make a great point, and ofcourse people still enjoy the old entertainment. Sometimes me and my friends like to visit Stonehenge to show our appreciation to the 70's and 80's. :beaver:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Yard work, taijiquan, exercise and reading books....and if I want music, have a stereo that plays actual records, or I listen to the youngest play piano of viola...and if I get desperate I cold always play the didgeridoo or ukulele....kids today....take their technology away and they become catatonic.....you may not know this, but there was life before the internet

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yard work, taijiquan, exercise and reading books....and if I want music, have a stereo that plays actual records, or I listen to the youngest play piano of viola...and if I get desperate I cold always play the didgeridoo or ukulele....kids today....take their technology away and they become catatonic.....you may not know this, but there was life before the internet
You must be referring to the cretaceous period...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Entertaining & socializing is too quickly becoming lost arts.
Yes, we had a TV but only had 4 channels so it was mostly functional, for watching the news. Not much in the way of entertainment value, except during baseball season and that was mostly for our father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions