Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I pride myself on my abolity to have patience with my patients ,but there are some days where i iust dont. I was working 10 hour shifts Monday-Friday (technically saturday since i just got home before my day off)and on wednesday i ran out of that patience. Took some time to do a fu jow pai meditative form which completely reset me and i could go both yesterday and today without issue. Here's hoping next week goes okay
Well done with self-control. Personally, I don't think I should be entrusted with any job that involves peopling. The moment I have to deal with other human beings, I am sorely tempted to Hulk.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Warning: I am totally about to sound like a crotchety old lady. This guy I work with on the systems transition following the acquisition of our hospital by another organization keeps telling me he doesn't know stuff because he'd only been on the job two months. HOW is that an excuse? I took the job I'm in right now just over two years ago. A WEEK into the job I was teaching people how to use the system I'd just gotten familiarized with. Two months into the job, I was getting ready to run an implementation. Two months is plenty of time! What's his problem?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Warning: I am totally about to sound like a crotchety old lady. This guy I work with on the systems transition following the acquisition of our hospital by another organization keeps telling me he doesn't know stuff because he'd only been on the job two months. HOW is that an excuse? I took the job I'm in right now just over two years ago. A WEEK into the job I was teaching people how to use the system I'd just gotten familiarized with. Two months into the job, I was getting ready to run an implementation. Two months is plenty of time! What's his problem?
Laziness and a sense of entitlement. Sad state of much of the current generation.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
....you gotta ask, Ginger?!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
....you gotta ask, Ginger?!
Honestly, I do. I want to know. I realize my maturity bar is set kind of high. Taking over as the head of the household at fourteen. Taking over as the family leader at sixteen (we were very matriarchal - but it wasn't by age, it was by whoever could carry everyone else's problems on their shoulders, and I was it). Picking up and moving across the ocean at nineteen. Working through college and getting my Bachelor's and my Master's by the time I was twenty-five. Ok. I get it. But still...

I just don't understand where this concept of "I'm too new to the job" coming from. I get it if you are kind of lost the first couple of weeks - ok, I can understand that. But two months? How long is long enough? What happened to "hitting the ground running"? That used to be one of the job requirements for... pretty much every job I'd ever applied for. What the heck?

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Laziness and a sense of entitlement. Sad state of much of the current generation.
Well, the thing is - I am not terribly young but I am also not that terribly old. And this guy is maybe fifteen years younger than I am. In grownup terms, that's not a whole lot of a difference in age. Also, I am a devout Kiva donor and a huge fan and supporter of Greta Thunberg - so I see all these young kids, some of them in third world countries, starting projects, running things, helping their families, supporting entire villages, saving the world. Apparently, nothing wrong with them, regardless of generation. Nobody showed them how to do what they do - but they don't whine about it. So, I don't think it's the age thing.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Spent an evening at the symphony this evening, it was all Mozart.

But in between pieces they occasionally needed to move things around; piano, harp, etc. All of a sudden, as they were moving a harp, this song popped into my head. And it returned every time they moved something

Yup, its BLASPHEME!!!!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

But in between pieces they occasionally needed to move things around; piano, harp, etc. All of a sudden, as they were moving a harp, this song popped into my head. And it returned every time they moved something

Yup, its BLASPHEME!!!!
Mozart in the 80s would have been a rocker!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, the thing is - I am not terribly young but I am also not that terribly old. And this guy is maybe fifteen years younger than I am. In grownup terms, that's not a whole lot of a difference in age. Also, I am a devout Kiva donor and a huge fan and supporter of Greta Thunberg - so I see all these young kids, some of them in third world countries, starting projects, running things, helping their families, supporting entire villages, saving the world. Apparently, nothing wrong with them, regardless of generation. Nobody showed them how to do what they do - but they don't whine about it. So, I don't think it's the age thing.
I suspect your background gives you a different perspective, and genuinely that is a beautiful thing.
I apologize for being the crotchety old guy. I had never heard of Kiva and had to look it up. It is an admirable venture.
Old guy talking again; I hope Thunberg is driving the boat and not just another environmental puppet. For the last two days I have had some very heated conversations between our local Cattlemen's Association and PETA. For decades (100+ years) the wild horse population in the U.S. and Canada has been growing largely uncontrolled leading to exponential growth the last 50 years. It has led to massive death and deformity rates from starvation, inbreeding, and disease. Some very large private firms have struck agreements to be allowed to herd some of the wild horses contingent on selling the meat to impoverished overseas countries. A win/win. But all PETA sees is horses being slaughtered. They do not see that the death rates have actually gone down the last two decades. Even more frustrating they are spinning it as making room for more cattle to be raised.
Damn, just damn.

Oh, and I fully agree. It is not just an age thing.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
, I don't think it's the age thing.

It's not age - at least, not just age.

It's environment and how they've been brought up to handle the environment.

A few of my son's friends I've seen who are apparently utterly unwilling to learn. They're not stupid by a long way, but they refuse to think things through at all. If they can't find a step by step walkthrough video to help they can't do it. And after they've done it with video help, they'll need the video again if they want to repeat the process an hour later.

Information at your fingertips is great, but it seems to have come at the expense of being able to retain that information - in a way it's so easy to just look it up it's not worth remembering anything because it's easier to look it up again.

Trying to teach them anything doesn't usually work either, because the stock response is something like "why work it out, I can Google it"...

Couple that with parents who aren't around much because they'd rather work (or need to in order to support their demands for consumerist stuff that they think will improve their lives) and instead of using the time they do have with their kids teaching independence and self reliance would rather sit them in front of the electronic babysitter so they can "get some peace and have a drink" and you end up with the self entitled wastes of resources that seem to make up 75% of the population.

Not that I have strong views on the subject ;)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think your description is spot on. I suppose it is a couple of generations deep now.
I am a workaholic. It is just the way we were raised. I hold our son to the same standards and he delivers. If you farm nowadays you do it for the love of it, and should do it with profit in mind. This is getting harder each year. Adding to the challenge is the increasing difficulty in finding good laborers, unless you are willing to hire illegals, which I am not. I could care less what color you are or where you are from. If you cannot perform correctly tomorrow what I taught you how to do today, you have a problem. I don't even hold my wife's hand very often (not often enough anyway); why would someone think I am going to hold theirs?
Even in our automation business, which is a combination of highly skilled/educated people and skilled tradesman it has become much more difficult to find good talent. TN's unemployment rate is at 2.65% for September and is flush with Tier 2/3/4 companies. These skills are in high demand so the employee market is very competitive. It takes more than just salary to keep the best people and I always have to be reinventing our position profiles.
We have 2 engineers that have been with us since the beginning (2005). Conversely, there are very few times I can remember having all our positions filled. Not for a lack of applications but for a lack of quality applicants. Even the technically qualified ones who are chasing the dollar will as leave as soon as they get a higher offer knowing if they do not like it they can just go somewhere else. I never have (and never will) rehire someone who left our company purely because they were chasing money.
Rant over.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not age - at least, not just age.

It's environment and how they've been brought up to handle the environment.

A few of my son's friends I've seen who are apparently utterly unwilling to learn. They're not stupid by a long way, but they refuse to think things through at all. If they can't find a step by step walkthrough video to help they can't do it. And after they've done it with video help, they'll need the video again if they want to repeat the process an hour later.

Information at your fingertips is great, but it seems to have come at the expense of being able to retain that information - in a way it's so easy to just look it up it's not worth remembering anything because it's easier to look it up again.

Trying to teach them anything doesn't usually work either, because the stock response is something like "why work it out, I can Google it"...

Couple that with parents who aren't around much because they'd rather work (or need to in order to support their demands for consumerist stuff that they think will improve their lives) and instead of using the time they do have with their kids teaching independence and self reliance would rather sit them in front of the electronic babysitter so they can "get some peace and have a drink" and you end up with the self entitled wastes of resources that seem to make up 75% of the population.

Not that I have strong views on the subject ;)
My parents didn't have time to sit with me - everyone worked. So, it was expected that I would know how to take care of myself. They showed me how to cook things without blowing up the house, how to change light bulbs, where to find candles if electricity was out (that happened a lot), and that was it. I was expected to get home from school, feed myself, do my homework, practice piano, etc. Nobody was going to do it for me.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suspect your background gives you a different perspective, and genuinely that is a beautiful thing.
I apologize for being the crotchety old guy. I had never heard of Kiva and had to look it up. It is an admirable venture.
Old guy talking again; I hope Thunberg is driving the boat and not just another environmental puppet. For the last two days I have had some very heated conversations between our local Cattlemen's Association and PETA. For decades (100+ years) the wild horse population in the U.S. and Canada has been growing largely uncontrolled leading to exponential growth the last 50 years. It has led to massive death and deformity rates from starvation, inbreeding, and disease. Some very large private firms have struck agreements to be allowed to herd some of the wild horses contingent on selling the meat to impoverished overseas countries. A win/win. But all PETA sees is horses being slaughtered. They do not see that the death rates have actually gone down the last two decades. Even more frustrating they are spinning it as making room for more cattle to be raised.
Damn, just damn.

I despise PETA. What a way to take a good cause and totally screw it up... Ugh...

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think your description is spot on. I suppose it is a couple of generations deep now.
I am a workaholic. It is just the way we were raised. I hold our son to the same standards and he delivers. If you farm nowadays you do it for the love of it, and should do it with profit in mind. This is getting harder each year. Adding to the challenge is the increasing difficulty in finding good laborers, unless you are willing to hire illegals, which I am not. I could care less what color you are or where you are from. If you cannot perform correctly tomorrow what I taught you how to do today, you have a problem. I don't even hold my wife's hand very often (not often enough anyway); why would someone think I am going to hold theirs?
Even in our automation business, which is a combination of highly skilled/educated people and skilled tradesman it has become much more difficult to find good talent. TN's unemployment rate is at 2.65% for September and is flush with Tier 2/3/4 companies. These skills are in high demand so the employee market is very competitive. It takes more than just salary to keep the best people and I always have to be reinventing our position profiles.
We have 2 engineers that have been with us since the beginning (2005). Conversely, there are very few times I can remember having all our positions filled. Not for a lack of applications but for a lack of quality applicants. Even the technically qualified ones who are chasing the dollar will as leave as soon as they get a higher offer knowing if they do not like it they can just go somewhere else. I never have (and never will) rehire someone who left our company purely because they were chasing money.
Rant over.
<sigh> I just want a six-figure job to do data analytics and belly dancing. Is that too much to ask?

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yup, its BLASPHEME!!!!
<sigh> It's been ages since I've been to the symphony. I miss it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My parents didn't have time to sit with me - everyone worked. So, it was expected that I would know how to take care of myself. They showed me how to cook things without blowing up the house, how to change light bulbs, where to find candles if electricity was out (that happened a lot), and that was it. I was expected to get home from school, feed myself, do my homework, practice piano, etc. Nobody was going to do it for me.
By in large that is the way it should be. I agree with being nurturing but not to the point you begin disabling your children from being able to function for themselves. It would horrify me if I felt I had do cook and clean for our 24 year old son. There are way too many "primate" minded people in the US who think they are supposed to raise their children to age 30.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Damn, just damn.

Unfortunately I know a bunch of people who ought to know better and still cry about the horses being rounded up.
If a private entity (rancher or what have you) would deal with thier lifestock like this, they'd be thrown in jail!

And yeah....PETA kills upward of 90 percent of perfectly fine companion animals that walk through the door at their ONLY facility in Virginia! As per their own paperwork filed!
And that are only the animals that make it there, and are not killed en route, and dumped behind businesses in trash dumpsters!

Rant over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions