Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
A bit of advice for would be mandarin speakers, tones are very important.....especially when saying the characters whose pronunciation is "ma"

妈 Mā (mother) - tone 1
麻 Má (hemp) - tone 2
马 Mǎ (horse) - tone 3
骂 Mà (scold) - tone 4

One does not want to call ones mother, or mother-in-law..... horse....it could be very VERY bad.

Also...be careful with thank you, which is 谢谢 Xièxiè. However said in another context, even though the tones are the same, the pronunciation is a little different.....xiè xiè 泄泻 which means diarrhea

oh and before I forget.....even though the pronunciation is a little different, that are similar enough that when going to sleep make sure you are saying 睡觉 Shuìjiào (sleep) for using the wrong tone may get you a rather surprise response with a subsequent slam to the floor 摔跤 Shuāijiāo (wrestling)

:D
I don't think we have quite that level of pronunciation issues in Russian. But we have some WEIRD idioms. Like... calling a woman "my little fish" is a term of endearment.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah daaang... that sounds painful.. hope you heal up soon bro, take care alright
Fortunately, I have permission to work from home, so that's what I did because SOMEBODY couldn't reach his socks and shoelaces. And then there was that falling down incident...

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Got home from the east coast last night, off until Saturday thank God. Waiting for the time change to kick back in.

Might have to go to the Maui Brewery for happy hour, just to, you know, get back into the swing of things.
You were on THIS coast and you didn't come to see us?! :p

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bit of advice for would be mandarin speakers, tones are very important.....especially when saying the characters whose pronunciation is "ma"

妈 Mā (mother) - tone 1
麻 Má (hemp) - tone 2
马 Mǎ (horse) - tone 3
骂 Mà (scold) - tone 4

One does not want to call ones mother, or mother-in-law..... horse....it could be very VERY bad.

Also...be careful with thank you, which is 谢谢 Xièxiè. However said in another context, even though the tones are the same, the pronunciation is a little different.....xiè xiè 泄泻 which means diarrhea

oh and before I forget.....even though the pronunciation is a little different, that are similar enough that when going to sleep make sure you are saying 睡觉 Shuìjiào (sleep) for using the wrong tone may get you a rather surprise response with a subsequent slam to the floor 摔跤 Shuāijiāo (wrestling)

:D
Wouldn't that be "horse-in-law"?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah daaang... that sounds painful.. hope you heal up soon bro, take care alright
Doing much better now. Slept a bit better the second night, and the chiro released me after a second visit. He said I'd be near 100% a day later. It's taking longer than that, but I was able to tie my own shoes the third day!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got home from the east coast last night, off until Saturday thank God. Waiting for the time change to kick back in.

Might have to go to the Maui Brewery for happy hour, just to, you know, get back into the swing of things.
Glad you made it home safe, brother.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been going back and forth on it, but recently decided that, wherever my martial arts journey takes me, I'm not going to go back to kempo or kenpo (of the american varieties). Which I guess makes my name kempodisciple a bit of a lie now.
Sounds like a good decision for you, you liar.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I pride myself on my abolity to have patience with my patients ,but there are some days where i iust dont. I was working 10 hour shifts Monday-Friday (technically saturday since i just got home before my day off)and on wednesday i ran out of that patience. Took some time to do a fu jow pai meditative form which completely reset me and i could go both yesterday and today without issue. Here's hoping next week goes okay

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pride myself on my abolity to have patience with my patients ,but there are some days where i iust dont. I was working 10 hour shifts Monday-Friday (technically saturday since i just got home before my day off)and on wednesday i ran out of that patience. Took some time to do a fu jow pai meditative form which completely reset me and i could go both yesterday and today without issue. Here's hoping next week goes okay
Good self-monitoring. You have a tough job - glad you’re there.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BearArms.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions