Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
On a lighter more serious note

I was watching an old Shaw Brothers Kung Fu movie, "Crippled Avengers" and I noticed something that I can only imagine has been lost to antiquity.

First the bad guys son had both his arms cut off above the elbows. I must say his Kung Fu was strong, even for a young kid, since he apparently had the ability to prevent himself from bleeding out. His father, the bad guy, was proud of him for his resolve at not talking to those that cut off his hands and told him they'd have the blacksmith make him new arms. Fast forward many years and now this young kid is an evil adult Kung Fu master with iron forearms and hands..... that shoot darts. But what truly amazed me even more was that the fingers on these iron hands appeared to work.

Now, one of the heroes fights the bad guys and they cut off his legs. He to has strong Kung Fu and prevents himself from bleeding out in the middle of a dirt road, not to mention his ability to fight off serious infection and gangrene. But then later, he also gets the blacksmith to make him some legs. And on these legs, he masters Kung Fu and has amazing kicks. But here again, what truly amazed me is that the foot and ankle both work as a normal foot and ankle worked.

Just think of how much better prosthetics would be today of Blacksmiths still knew how to do this and such things were not in the hands of Biomechanics engineers.

Yes I realize it is an old Shaw Brothers movie and not to be take seriously, heck I saw one where a woman's eyes grew back after being darted in the eyes, but I thought the expertise of Blacksmiths, in old China, was something worth mentioning

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished the 5K yesterday. A bit sore this morning. Today, only 8+ miles, so really, no problem. And it'll be cooler (was 90F when I started yesterday).
So, did not finish the 8+ on Sunday. Was helping someone over one of the mud mounds and seriously threw out my back, to the point walking was (and still is) painful. Actually needed the Hobbit's help to get out of bed this morning, and fell shortly after (combination of my usual low blood pressure issues and the pain caused a grey-out).

Chiropractor has helped a bit - going back again tomorrow morning. Hopefully tonight I'll actually be able to get some sleep.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a lighter more serious note

I was watching an old Shaw Brothers Kung Fu movie, "Crippled Avengers" and I noticed something that I can only imagine has been lost to antiquity.

First the bad guys son had both his arms cut off above the elbows. I must say his Kung Fu was strong, even for a young kid, since he apparently had the ability to prevent himself from bleeding out. His father, the bad guy, was proud of him for his resolve at not talking to those that cut off his hands and told him they'd have the blacksmith make him new arms. Fast forward many years and now this young kid is an evil adult Kung Fu master with iron forearms and hands..... that shoot darts. But what truly amazed me even more was that the fingers on these iron hands appeared to work.

Now, one of the heroes fights the bad guys and they cut off his legs. He to has strong Kung Fu and prevents himself from bleeding out in the middle of a dirt road, not to mention his ability to fight off serious infection and gangrene. But then later, he also gets the blacksmith to make him some legs. And on these legs, he masters Kung Fu and has amazing kicks. But here again, what truly amazed me is that the foot and ankle both work as a normal foot and ankle worked.

Just think of how much better prosthetics would be today of Blacksmiths still knew how to do this and such things were not in the hands of Biomechanics engineers.

Yes I realize it is an old Shaw Brothers movie and not to be take seriously, heck I saw one where a woman's eyes grew back after being darted in the eyes, but I thought the expertise of Blacksmiths, in old China, was something worth mentioning
Sounds like the blacksmith is the hero of that movie.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
da,m.cleaning house is a full body workout...Deep conditioning! ouch!

My friend is trying to put her house on the market, and her renters seemed to not have cleaned a lick in the 6 years they were in there! I mean, running a shop vac over the living room carpet, the thing seemed to turn 3 shades lighter!
I think I am allergic to dust....I should pop a benadryl before things go out of hand!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ignore the ones that annoy you and hang with people you like. I ignored JoBo months ago - and my MartialTalk quality of life went up significantly.
I have been tempted many times. Then out of the blue there will be a cogent and well written post. So I cringe and wait until the next post and usually settle enough to ignore the blather.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He has been on ignore for a long time and remains as such
Xue, I agree with @AngryHobbit, it would be a shame and very sad to see you or even @jobo stop posting.
We all come off sounding like a knucklehead sometimes and yes, some more consistently than others. I just look at it as a human nature thing.
Sometimes I have to remind myself that people from all over the world post here so it is a wide open dynamic. This is something I feel we are very fortunate to have.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue, I agree with @AngryHobbit, it would be a shame and very sad to see you or even @jobo stop posting.
We all come off sounding like a knucklehead sometimes and yes, some more consistently than others. I just look at it as a human nature thing.
Sometimes I have to remind myself that people from all over the world post here so it is a wide open dynamic. This is something I feel we are very fortunate to have.

Thanks

jobo is not an issue, I put him on ignore a long time ago. It was another interaction that got to me with another poster that seemed to be a theme on MT these days with a few that I read or interact with. I'm not going anywhere at the moment

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ignore the ones that annoy you and hang with people you like. I ignored JoBo months ago - and my MartialTalk quality of life went up significantly.

It just hit me.... you both picked Jobo.... whats that tell you ;)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks

jobo is not an issue, I put him on ignore a long time ago. It was another interaction that got to me with another poster that seemed to be a theme on MT these days with a few that I read or interact with. I'm not going anywhere at the moment
Good.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
A bit of advice for would be mandarin speakers, tones are very important.....especially when saying the characters whose pronunciation is "ma"

妈 Mā (mother) - tone 1
麻 Má (hemp) - tone 2
马 Mǎ (horse) - tone 3
骂 Mà (scold) - tone 4

One does not want to call ones mother, or mother-in-law..... horse....it could be very VERY bad.

Also...be careful with thank you, which is 谢谢 Xièxiè. However said in another context, even though the tones are the same, the pronunciation is a little different.....xiè xiè 泄泻 which means diarrhea

oh and before I forget.....even though the pronunciation is a little different, that are similar enough that when going to sleep make sure you are saying 睡觉 Shuìjiào (sleep) for using the wrong tone may get you a rather surprise response with a subsequent slam to the floor 摔跤 Shuāijiāo (wrestling)

:D

Last edited:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
They did that on purpose! So idiots like me who butcher pronunciation would walk around talking about diarrhea or telling people their moms look like horses on hemp.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well then, don't forget to tell them, when you're tired, its time for Shuāijiāo :D
I see no reason to look into this. I'll go ahead and take your word at face value. You seem like a trustworthy enough...

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, did not finish the 8+ on Sunday. Was helping someone over one of the mud mounds and seriously threw out my back, to the point walking was (and still is) painful. Actually needed the Hobbit's help to get out of bed this morning, and fell shortly after (combination of my usual low blood pressure issues and the pain caused a grey-out).

Chiropractor has helped a bit - going back again tomorrow morning. Hopefully tonight I'll actually be able to get some sleep.
Ah daaang... that sounds painful.. hope you heal up soon bro, take care alright

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
All this talk of plastic particles in tea bags has got me to stop being lazy when it comes to tea and reignited my loose leaf tea habit.....which is a good thing, it is a better quality tea, and it is without all the plastic. 20 years ago there were no tea bags in my house at all, just multiple varieties of loose tea...sometime in the last 20 years I got lazy and discovered I was using only tea bags and their CTC tea leftovers. All this loose tea, directly from China, in my house was just sitting there.....time to go and reread my old books on tea. There was a time I was looking into becoming a Tea Sommelier....

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Got home from the east coast last night, off until Saturday thank God. Waiting for the time change to kick back in.

Might have to go to the Maui Brewery for happy hour, just to, you know, get back into the swing of things.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been going back and forth on it, but recently decided that, wherever my martial arts journey takes me, I'm not going to go back to kempo or kenpo (of the american varieties). Which I guess makes my name kempodisciple a bit of a lie now.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
A bit of advice for would be mandarin speakers, tones are very important.....especially when saying the characters whose pronunciation is "ma"

妈 Mā (mother) - tone 1
麻 Má (hemp) - tone 2
马 Mǎ (horse) - tone 3
骂 Mà (scold) - tone 4

One does not want to call ones mother, or mother-in-law..... horse....it could be very VERY bad.

Also...be careful with thank you, which is 谢谢 Xièxiè. However said in another context, even though the tones are the same, the pronunciation is a little different.....xiè xiè 泄泻 which means diarrhea

oh and before I forget.....even though the pronunciation is a little different, that are similar enough that when going to sleep make sure you are saying 睡觉 Shuìjiào (sleep) for using the wrong tone may get you a rather surprise response with a subsequent slam to the floor 摔跤 Shuāijiāo (wrestling)

:D
Wow.... you could get into SO much trouble with this language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions