Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, another one ;)

I had honestly never heard of pot stickers.

Then you described them as stuffed dumplings - so I asked Google...

Yeah, dumplings aren't dumplings either :D

Over here, dumplings are balls of suet and flour (with optional seasoning) that get dumped in a casserole.

What you're describing is more like ravioli using dough instead of pasta...
Dumplings here are usually much the same as there (at least here in the South). But somehow things like pot stickers are referred to as dumplings.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes! If we had more space to store stuff, I'd love to have those little bamboo steam boxes to cook them.

Last night, even though it was my "I am tired and not feeling well" meal, I doctored them a little - I just can't help myself. I cooked them in vegetable broth with some mushrooms and served with some home-marinated mushrooms on the side and some veggies sauteed in the leftover mushroom marinade. It actually worked out well, because the marinade is basically oil, vinegar, and lemon juice seasoned with pepper, garlic, onion, and oregano. So, it all came out pretty tasty.

I use to use the bamboo steamers too, until I meant my wife. She and her mother never use those things, They use a regular pot like we use here to steam vegetables. They actually laughed at me when I brought out the bamboo steamers.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dumplings here are usually much the same as there (at least here in the South). But somehow things like pot stickers are referred to as dumplings.
Would you consider it accurate to describe pot stickers as dumpling dough rolled into thin slices with meat in them? That is how I think of it. My wife's dumplings are basically biscuit dough rolled up into balls. I am sure there is more to it.
Added to a whole chicken in a pot left to simmer it is some good stuff.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Would you consider it accurate to describe pot stickers as dumpling dough rolled into thin slices with meat in them? That is how I think of it. My wife's dumplings are basically biscuit dough rolled up into balls. I am sure there is more to it.

Flour + water + rolling pin = Chinese dumpling dough

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, dough is pretty much dough, just in variations. And dumplings are just dough.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

1) I never wear them without socks
2) The standard Croc it was all I could get on my left foot after knee surgery, could get nothing else on by myself
3) with size 14 feet my Croc choices are highly limited
4) the pair of Crocs I wear most are these, and only in summer, so there is as much heal support as your standard loafer

10128-22z--angle--santa_cruz_m--espresso-espresso_1.jpg

But if it makes everyone feel better, I generally wear a leather shoe to work, sneakers when not in work, leather boots in bad weather and winter, and LL Bean "Wicked good slippers when I'm at home"
sheesh

Hence forth I categorize all Crocs post as I do bacon and deserving of a Chinese response

祝你今天愉快
Zhù nǐ jīntiān yúkuài

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, another one ;)

I had honestly never heard of pot stickers.

Then you described them as stuffed dumplings - so I asked Google...

Yeah, dumplings aren't dumplings either :D

Over here, dumplings are balls of suet and flour (with optional seasoning) that get dumped in a casserole.

What you're describing is more like ravioli using dough instead of pasta...
Yeah, kind of like that! They are bigger than standard ravioli though. And you eat them with soy sauce.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
1) I never wear them without socks
2) The standard Croc it was all I could get on my left foot after knee surgery, could get nothing else on by myself
3) with size 14 feet my Croc choices are highly limited
4) the pair of Crocs I wear most are these, and only in summer, so there is as much heal support as your standard loafer

10128-22z--angle--santa_cruz_m--espresso-espresso_1.jpg

But if it makes everyone feel better, I generally wear a leather shoe to work, sneakers when not in work, leather boots in bad weather and winter, and LL Bean "Wicked good slippers when I'm at home"
sheesh

Hence forth I categorize all Crocs post as I do bacon and deserving of a Chinese response

祝你今天愉快
Zhù nǐ jīntiān yúkuài
Can you find Naturalizer shoes in your size? They are pretty good too for casual wear. I have a similar size-related issue with finding shoes that fit (I wear women's 5-1/2 - 6 and a lot of stores don't stock anything below 7), so when I find a brand that works, I stick with it. I love Naturalizer - they are light and provide good support. They also have this nice "cradle" for the foot with some edge all around even if it's a sandal.

Much as I love my heels, I only wear them 2-3 times a week and always switch to a flat shoe when I get home. Plus, of course, since half my fitness classes are dance-based, the non-slip half-socks I wear to Barre and the rehearsal non-pointe ballet shoes I use in belly dancing are very close to going barefoot.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Flour + water + rolling pin = Chinese dumpling dough

@dvcochran

You may dislike it but my wife, my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law, a good friend of mine, his mother-in-law, and his wife....all from mainland China, make their dumpling dough exactly as I listed.

Wife and in-laws all from the North my friend is from the South.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can you find Naturalizer shoes in your size? They are pretty good too for casual wear. I have a similar size-related issue with finding shoes that fit (I wear women's 5-1/2 - 6 and a lot of stores don't stock anything below 7), so when I find a brand that works, I stick with it. I love Naturalizer - they are light and provide good support. They also have this nice "cradle" for the foot with some edge all around even if it's a sandal.

Much as I love my heels, I only wear them 2-3 times a week and always switch to a flat shoe when I get home. Plus, of course, since half my fitness classes are dance-based, the non-slip half-socks I wear to Barre and the rehearsal non-pointe ballet shoes I use in belly dancing are very close to going barefoot.
yeah, that size isn't available in Ladies shoes....although: you could get some killer lightup shoes!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah, that size isn't available in Ladies shoes....although: you could get some killer lightup shoes!
Kind of hard to look chic and professional in lightup shoes though. ;)

I wear lots of Naturalizer, Clark, and Rieker when I can get them on clearance. Rieker is my favorite brand, but they are SO expensive.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@dvcochran

You may dislike it but my wife, my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law, a good friend of mine, his mother-in-law, and his wife....all from mainland China, make their dumpling dough exactly as I listed.

Wife and in-laws all from the North my friend is from the South.
No, that is very close to how we do it as well. My wife uses milk instead of water.
You may not like the fact that my wife adds a little bacon grease as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions