Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
But, unlike bacon, they are not carcinogenic, do not cause hypertension and are not thought to be a contributor to heart disease
Says you! My blood pressure always goes up and I am certain I might have had a few mini-heart attacks whenever I saw people wearing Crocs.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The Corcs are black and no matter how one tries to swing it, bacon is an unhealthy food all by itself. Throw other unhealthy foods in with it, it just gets worse

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You all know what....it has been an absolutely awful afternoon so I guess i am not much in the mood for bacon joviality at the moment so I will do everyone a favor and just log off...sorry for the terse responses

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not by the AMA

Just a general point, but there's a fair amount the AMA say that is disputed in many circles, including by the RCP, NHS and PHE.

And I'll say nowt else on the matter, lest medicinal opinion is somehow classified as political ;)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not by the AMA

Is that the same AMA that said eating eggs was bad? The AMA that was once all buddy buddy with the cigarette industry? Or is it the AMA that considered cocaine a panacea? Oh, wait. Those are all the same AMA...

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is that the same AMA that said eating eggs was bad? The AMA that was once all buddy buddy with the cigarette industry? Or is it the AMA that considered cocaine a panacea? Oh, wait. Those are all the same AMA...

I looked at the "eggs bad" figures they published.

Apparently, I have a 11,000% chance of dying 65 years ago due to my egg intake.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just another reason why I should not travel the 27,000 miles...... I happily wore Crocs after my knee surgery, it was the easiest ad most comfortable shoe I could wear

shoes_ia11599.jpg

And I wear these Crocs, regularly to work

crocs267627_99416_jb.jpg

So.....I guess I'm not welcome anyway

I love the Crocs I keep in the mud room. Are the ones you wear to work as softly padded as the ones in the top picture?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any chance you have a link to that? I would greatly enjoy it

I can't find the article, but I believe it was in the daily mail (that font of scientifically accurate reporting).

They stated that from a baseline of 3 eggs consumed per week, each additional half egg represents an 8% increase in the chance of an early death (pretty sure it was 8, that figure is in the jama report, and also in "the almost as bad as the mail" ny times).

So, by extrapolation, a whole egg is a 16% increase.

That means 10 eggs is 160% then...

We keep chickens, and eat eggs :D

Oh, and the jama report / study doesn't actually seem to take into consideration other lifestyle choices when it comes to the long term health of the individuals eating eggs - it doesn't specify how they're cooked, relies on memory of egg intake over a 17 year period and ignores other factors such as the aforementioned lifestyle choices (smoking, drinking, exercise levels, etc.) and the rest of the diet.

The entire thing is methodologically flawed, but unfortunately was picked up by the media who wanted their next scary headline.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't find the article, but I believe it was in the daily mail (that font of scientifically accurate reporting).

They stated that from a baseline of 3 eggs consumed per week, each additional half egg represents an 8% increase in the chance of an early death (pretty sure it was 8, that figure is in the jama report, and also in "the almost as bad as the mail" ny times).

So, by extrapolation, a whole egg is a 16% increase.

That means 10 eggs is 160% then...

We keep chickens, and eat eggs :D

Oh, and the jama report / study doesn't actually seem to take into consideration other lifestyle choices when it comes to the long term health of the individuals eating eggs - it doesn't specify how they're cooked, relies on memory of egg intake over a 17 year period and ignores other factors such as the aforementioned lifestyle choices (smoking, drinking, exercise levels, etc.) and the rest of the diet.

The entire thing is methodologically flawed, but unfortunately was picked up by the media who wanted their next scary headline.
Seriously speaking, the trouble I have with certain food-related studies is that they are rooted in the extremes. Of COURSE if you eat bacon, only bacon, and nothing but bacon - you will die sooner than you'd like. The same thing is bound to happen if you eat nothing but spinach, nothing but grapes, or nothing but alfalfa sprouts.

Similarly, if you make a radical change in your diet, you are going to feel like crap. One cannot go from a 400-calorie a day diet to a seven-course meal without consequences. Or go from absolutely no meat for months to a half-a-pound steak. Or go from having meat every day to absolutely no meat ever.

I really wish our society listened less to the celebrities with their ridiculous diets and read more about the latest findings in physiology and nutrition. I don't get diets that just ... chop off entire food groups. That doesn't make sense. My attitude is - unless you are deathly allergic to something, eat whatever, as long as you feel good about it.

I have a similar attitude toward shoes and clothes although I admit I am a bit more of a snob in that area - the consequence of growing up with a drop-dead gorgeous infinitely stylish talented seamstress mother. One of the purposes of my Instagram page is to show people that dressing well need not be expensive or uncomfortable. That said... I frequently challenge folks to do the following: get dressed like you would normally get dressed for your everyday stuff, walk up to a mirror and do like Barbra Streisand in the opening scene of "Funny Girl", "Hello gorgeous!" And mean it. If what you are wearing makes you feel that way - cool. But if you dress the way you dress for reasons other than it making you feel absolutely smashing, then maybe you need to change what you wear. I also follow the British kid, Zack Pinsent, who makes and wears his own Edwardian clothing - because that's how he rolls. He doesn't give a flip what anyone thinks about what he wears and encourages others to do the same, which is why I admire him.

Reactions: pdg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously speaking, the trouble I have with certain food-related studies is that they are rooted in the extremes. Of COURSE if you eat bacon, only bacon, and nothing but bacon - you will die sooner than you'd like.

But you'll die happy. And that's important.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
But you'll die happy. And that's important.
Yes. But I flatter myself that my dying sooner other than later might make other people unhappy. So, there's that.

I do have to think about these things - my family history is VERY screwy, plus I was in Ukraine when Chernobyl happened, so my own health is all messed up because of that. I do my best to be reasonable. There are some cravings I have, and I do believe cravings happen for a reason, but I also try to offset them (my cravings never gravitate to what one would call "healthful eating".)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
my arms have a bunch of cuts! i got a cut on my pinkie because of a splinter i haven't sanded my new bo yet, a cut on my right arm from when my dog accidentally scratched me. (she gets extremely angry when someone goes outside without her. she goes from 0 to a 10 almost immediately.) luckily she's small so it wasn't too difficult holding her but boy can she scratch and squirm. and i got a couple extra cuts on both arms from moving tree branches (some were mesquite). Aside from that today was a pretty good day!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
You all know what....it has been an absolutely awful afternoon so I guess i am not much in the mood for bacon joviality at the moment so I will do everyone a favor and just log off...sorry for the terse responses
Take some good self-care time, also had a very difficult day... take care brother

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions