Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
View attachment 22406

On August 3, 2020, at 6 P.M, the Chicago White Sox and New York Yankees will stage the first-ever Major League game at the Field of Dreams baseball field from the movie of the same name. They're building a temporary 8,000-seat ballpark right there in the corn!

With only eight thousands seats there's probably only going to be less than a thousand tickets available to the general public. I started making calls this morning and I was BEGGING. Field of Dreams is one of my favorite movies of all time. The New York Yankees have been my favorite team since I was a kid.

I so hope I can get a ticket. Doubt it, but I can hope.

WHAT!!!! And you lived in Boston....SACRILEGE!!!! BLASPHEME!!!!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Listening to music.
Now I want to be fishing in Azeroth.
Or Draenor.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
WHAT!!!! And you lived in Boston....SACRILEGE!!!! BLASPHEME!!!!

I wish I could claim sacrilege, blasphemy or heresy, I really do. After all, I grew up in Boston where the Catholic Church should have been permanently shut down on the RICO Act. But, anyway, there's a perfectly logical explanation. Und so.....

Ted Williams played his last game at Fenway park when I was nine years old. Me and my dad were there. You used to be able to find a zillion Bostonians that also said that they were there, but they lie like the devil, and most are dead now. Fenway was nearly empty that day. We used to sit in the bleachers on a regular basis, it's all we could afford. But that day, maybe by the second inning, the ushers came around and invited everybody to move up close. We sat right behind first base, maybe seven rows back. It was awesome.

Anyway, back in those days we went to Fenway a lot. Used to wait around outside the players entrance for autographs. But if it was a rainy, stormy day or if sometimes the Sox lost and they were pissed, or after a long double header, the Sox would just blow by you and say, "Not today, fellas, maybe next time."

But not the Yankees. Rain or shine, win or lose, they would stop and sign everybody's everything. They would sign my baseball cards, my glove, my hat, my sneakers, my shirt, my everything. And they would never hurry you or try to blow you off.

One day, after that happened for the upteenth time, I looked up at my father said, "Dad, I like these guys better than I like our guys."

He said, "Son, this is America, you can like anybody you want." I never forgot that and have loved the Yankees ever since that day. They are my team, have been since I was nine. Now, growing up with my friends was tough, used to get smacked a lot for being a yanks fan....mostly play. But at the end of most seasons I'd say, "Hey, you want to come over my house and watch my team in the playoffs? You know, since YOUR team ain't doing squat right now." Then I'd run like hell.

This went on for many years in my life. In the seventies we were bouncers in a nightclub on cape Cod. That year the Red Sox were up ten games on the Yanks in early August. My room mates, all Sox guys, used to come charging into my room with the newspaper smacking the backs off their hand on the sports pages showing how far behind my Yankees were. I would pooh pooh them away, yawn and nonchalantly say "season's still young, it's early". I wasn't actually believing any of that, but hey.

Then the Yanks came storming back, finished with the same record as the Sox. They had a one game tie breaker, which I'm sure you remember - by this name Bucky Dent. Heh, heh, heh.

That's right, choke on it Sox fans. Yankees rule.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
So basically you have this

baconweaveelvis2-jpg.108237
It's lovely - I always like food with good geometry. But it appears to have peanut butter, which I am allergic to and am not particularly fond of, and it is a bit too much of a good thing. I love bacon, but I do understand the risks - I have it maybe a handful of times a year. Although.... I have been known to inflict serious damage on a package of diced prosciutto. ;)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
View attachment 22406

On August 3, 2020, at 6 P.M, the Chicago White Sox and New York Yankees will stage the first-ever Major League game at the Field of Dreams baseball field from the movie of the same name. They're building a temporary 8,000-seat ballpark right there in the corn!

With only eight thousands seats there's probably only going to be less than a thousand tickets available to the general public. I started making calls this morning and I was BEGGING. Field of Dreams is one of my favorite movies of all time. The New York Yankees have been my favorite team since I was a kid.

I so hope I can get a ticket. Doubt it, but I can hope.
If you are going to come all this way for baseball, could you go a little further to hang out with is in North Carolina? At least you'll be on the right coast. :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's lovely - I always like food with good geometry. But it appears to have peanut butter, which I am allergic to and am not particularly fond of, and it is a bit too much of a good thing. I love bacon, but I do understand the risks - I have it maybe a handful of times a year. Although.... I have been known to inflict serious damage on a package of diced prosciutto. ;)
ohhhh prosciutto! That is a foot group by itself!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I find it interesting, when folks working on something and having issue, ask you for help, then you tell them what to try and they don't listen or tell you "That can't be it"

So...I walk away and leave then to their issues
Treating them like a child and explaining why it will work does not help? I liken it to the dreaded head nod I often get in design meetings. We are going over system changes or design concept and I am trying to glean ideas or problems from people and only getting head nods in the affirmative. You know they can't all understand or be thinking the same way so I spend a lot of time saying the same things in different ways until I see the light come on.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not allergic to peanut butter myself but personally I think peanut and bacon make a poor combination anyways. Eggs would have made a better combination :turtle:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I wish I could claim sacrilege, blasphemy or heresy, I really do. After all, I grew up in Boston where the Catholic Church should have been permanently shut down on the RICO Act. But, anyway, there's a perfectly logical explanation. Und so.....

Ted Williams played his last game at Fenway park when I was nine years old. Me and my dad were there. You used to be able to find a zillion Bostonians that also said that they were there, but they lie like the devil, and most are dead now. Fenway was nearly empty that day. We used to sit in the bleachers on a regular basis, it's all we could afford. But that day, maybe by the second inning, the ushers came around and invited everybody to move up close. We sat right behind first base, maybe seven rows back. It was awesome.

Anyway, back in those days we went to Fenway a lot. Used to wait around outside the players entrance for autographs. But if it was a rainy, stormy day or if sometimes the Sox lost and they were pissed, or after a long double header, the Sox would just blow by you and say, "Not today, fellas, maybe next time."

But not the Yankees. Rain or shine, win or lose, they would stop and sign everybody's everything. They would sign my baseball cards, my glove, my hat, my sneakers, my shirt, my everything. And they would never hurry you or try to blow you off.

One day, after that happened for the upteenth time, I looked up at my father said, "Dad, I like these guys better than I like our guys."

He said, "Son, this is America, you can like anybody you want." I never forgot that and have loved the Yankees ever since that day. They are my team, have been since I was nine. Now, growing up with my friends was tough, used to get smacked a lot for being a yanks fan....mostly play. But at the end of most seasons I'd say, "Hey, you want to come over my house and watch my team in the playoffs? You know, since YOUR team ain't doing squat right now." Then I'd run like hell.

This went on for many years in my life. In the seventies we were bouncers in a nightclub on cape Cod. That year the Red Sox were up ten games on the Yanks in early August. My room mates, all Sox guys, used to come charging into my room with the newspaper smacking the backs off their hand on the sports pages showing how far behind my Yankees were. I would pooh pooh them away, yawn and nonchalantly say "season's still young, it's early". I wasn't actually believing any of that, but hey.

Then the Yanks came storming back, finished with the same record as the Sox. They had a one game tie breaker, which I'm sure you remember - by this name Bucky Dent. Heh, heh, heh.

That's right, choke on it Sox fans. Yankees rule.

Does not matter, you're from Boston and it is Blaspheme :D

That and you would be surprised how Yankees fans in NYS are no different than Sox's fans in Massachusetts. when it comes to Yankees vs Red Sox. My boss is a Sox fan in an office of Yankee fans, Yankees beat sox they make sure to make a point to et him know. Sox beat yankees that lot of them are whinny all day long

For the record, I don't follow any of them.....but I will bust on you about it when I get the chance ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Treating them like a child and explaining why it will work does not help? I liken it to the dreaded head nod I often get in design meetings. We are going over system changes or design concept and I am trying to glean ideas or problems from people and only getting head nods in the affirmative. You know they can't all understand or be thinking the same way so I spend a lot of time saying the same things in different ways until I see the light come on.

Been there, done that, still had to walk away......

I didn't treat anyone like a child, they asked for help and I gave them what they asked for, didn't like what was suggested... I walked away

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If by balanced you mean you can balance it on your finger.... than possibly...other than that....no
It has 3 out of 5 of the major food groups. 1. Meat, 2. Protein, and 3. Bacon. It also has peanut butter which means it has potassium, even more protein and vitamin E also bacon has omega-3 fatty acids. What else could you possibly need?!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It has 3 out of 5 of the major food groups. 1. Meat, 2. Protein, and 3. Bacon. It also has peanut butter which means it has potassium, even more protein and vitamin E also bacon has omega-3 fatty acids. What else could you possibly need?!

Well, if you ignore all the saturated fat, sodium, the fact that it is a group 1 carcinogen...and let not forget Bacons contribution to heart disease.....then its still not the greatest on the nutrients list

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, if you ignore all the saturated fat, sodium, the fact that it is a group 1 carcinogen...and let not forget Bacons contribution to heart disease.....then its still not the greatest on the nutrients list
Exactly my point. If you ignore all that lame boring stuff I think you will find it is great. I'm glad you agree with me :turtle:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Exactly my point. If you ignore all that lame boring stuff I think you will find it is great. I'm glad you agree with me :turtle:

Well, no, I don't agree, I still think it is a cardiac inducing, cancer causing, greasy, vile, overly salty, piece of slimy meat by-product, with little or no nutritional value what-so-ever....any possible chance, no matter how slight, that it has of any nutritional value is completely offset by its disgusting, horrible bad for you points....other than that we agree 100%

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, no, I don't agree, I still think it is a cardiac inducing, cancer causing, greasy, vile, overly salty, piece of slimy meat by-product, with little or no nutritional value what-so-ever....any possible chance, no matter how slight, that it has of any nutritional value is completely offset by its disgusting, horrible bad for you points....other than that we agree 100%
more for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions