Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
So a young guy, likely in his early 20s, shows up for a job interview today, in another office in my department. Now what do you think he wore to the job interview....deck shoes, no socks, cargo shorts and an orange plaid no tail button shirt....oh and he looked like he had not shaved in a day or two....
giphy.gif

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
It’s been an interesting day. I am alive and in once piece, but I could go with less excitement for a few months at least.

On my way to work yesterday, I dropped my rear passenger wheel off one of our more precipitous curbs and popped a tire. So, called Mr. Tire to come in first thing this morning and replace two tires, put them in the front, pick the two best ones of the old tires, and put them in the back.

When I was leaving for Mr. Tire this morning, as I was coming down the driveway, my breaks suddenly refused to work. I have no idea what happened. Our driveway is a driveway equivalent of Mount Everest. It works really well as a rollercoaster. There was another car coming. Fortunately, it got out of the way and far enough down the road – because I could not stop. I had my hands full with the steering wheel and couldn’t get to the emergency break. I was afraid I would go flying into the creek across the road. So, I turned a bit too tightly out of the driveway, clipped the mail box, and sliced off my passenger side mirror. The breaks did come back, and I was able to get to Mr. Tire and get my tires replaced and breaks checked. They didn’t find anything wrong. Still not sure what caused this – it was very weird. But now I have to figure out how to replace that mirror. Never a boring day!

The really interesting thing was - WHILE it was happening I wasn't really scared. I was ANGRY. I was hulking for real and swearing in two languages.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It’s been an interesting day. I am alive and in once piece, but I could go with less excitement for a few months at least.

On my way to work yesterday, I dropped my rear passenger wheel off one of our more precipitous curbs and popped a tire. So, called Mr. Tire to come in first thing this morning and replace two tires, put them in the front, pick the two best ones of the old tires, and put them in the back.

When I was leaving for Mr. Tire this morning, as I was coming down the driveway, my breaks suddenly refused to work. I have no idea what happened. Our driveway is a driveway equivalent of Mount Everest. It works really well as a rollercoaster. There was another car coming. Fortunately, it got out of the way and far enough down the road – because I could not stop. I had my hands full with the steering wheel and couldn’t get to the emergency break. I was afraid I would go flying into the creek across the road. So, I turned a bit too tightly out of the driveway, clipped the mail box, and sliced off my passenger side mirror. The breaks did come back, and I was able to get to Mr. Tire and get my tires replaced and breaks checked. They didn’t find anything wrong. Still not sure what caused this – it was very weird. But now I have to figure out how to replace that mirror. Never a boring day!

The really interesting thing was - WHILE it was happening I wasn't really scared. I was ANGRY. I was hulking for real and swearing in two languages.
I am sure DD and Xue will have better ideas, but take it to a shop, have them check the brake fluid, bleed the brake lines.
The passenger side mirror is nice, but you don't really need it, as long as you have the one on the inside (It used to be an expensive extra to get one)
you can check junk yards, or just call the car parts store. depending on make and model, it shouldn't be too expensive.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am sure DD and Xue will have better ideas, but take it to a shop, have them check the brake fluid, bleed the brake lines.
The passenger side mirror is nice, but you don't really need it, as long as you have the one on the inside (It used to be an expensive extra to get one)
you can check junk yards, or just call the car parts store. depending on make and model, it shouldn't be too expensive.
They did a full break check and drove around to test them when I was getting tires. So.... still not sure. It was like... like they overheated - you know how they have runaway ramps for tractor trailers for when their breaks overheat and stop working? It was like that, I think. The pedal wasn't mushy like it is when there's a leak or a cut line. But I couldn't get any action out of them.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Way back many years ago when I was a mechanic we had a van come in that just had the breaks replaces; calipers, wheel cylinders, pads, shoes, drums turned, roters turned, and yet the breaks would occasionally come on and lock up. After taking the break system completely apart, and finding nothing, even checked the master cylinder. The only thing left were the break hoses that went from the break lines to the calipers. Turns out the inside of the hoses was falling apart and basically was making a valve that would allow fluid though, but then stop the fluid from coming back. The break peddle would not move.

I have not worked on breaks in years, but I have no doubt weird things can still happen.

What did they check when they "checked the breaks" how much did they pull apart?

Does your car have ABS? A faulty break part or even a bad wheel bearing can cause the ABS to engage

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maui is burning. Fortunately, the fire is not near us, but friends of mine have been evacuated from their homes. I cleaned the house this morning but now everything is covered in a thin layer of soot. had to shut all the windows, and man, it's hot.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So a young guy, likely in his early 20s, shows up for a job interview today, in another office in my department. Now what do you think he wore to the job interview....deck shoes, no socks, cargo shorts and an orange plaid no tail button shirt....oh and he looked like he had not shaved in a day or two....
I didn't get a job once because I did not wear socks.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

What is the make and model? Maybe someone can help with reinstalling the mirror.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They did a full break check and drove around to test them when I was getting tires. So.... still not sure. It was like... like they overheated - you know how they have runaway ramps for tractor trailers for when their breaks overheat and stop working? It was like that, I think. The pedal wasn't mushy like it is when there's a leak or a cut line. But I couldn't get any action out of them.
Were you on a paved or gravel hill? If the anti-lock kicked in the brakes will be pulsing and will feel different. Usually all you have to do to disengage it is fully release the brakes, however briefly. I have been there on gravel where you have to release when you really don't want to. It can get a little intense.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way back many years ago when I was a mechanic we had a van come in that just had the breaks replaces; calipers, wheel cylinders, pads, shoes, drums turned, roters turned, and yet the breaks would occasionally come on and lock up. After taking the break system completely apart, and finding nothing, even checked the master cylinder. The only thing left were the break hoses that went from the break lines to the calipers. Turns out the inside of the hoses was falling apart and basically was making a valve that would allow fluid though, but then stop the fluid from coming back. The break peddle would not move.

I have not worked on breaks in years, but I have no doubt weird things can still happen.

What did they check when they "checked the breaks" how much did they pull apart?

Does your car have ABS? A faulty break part or even a bad wheel bearing can cause the ABS to engage
I’m wondering if the donut spare was screwing with the ABS.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maui is burning. Fortunately, the fire is not near us, but friends of mine have been evacuated from their homes. I cleaned the house this morning but now everything is covered in a thin layer of soot. had to shut all the windows, and man, it's hot.
Hate to hear that, brother. Keep safe. I hope your friends’ houses come out okay.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Were you on a paved or gravel hill? If the anti-lock kicked in the brakes will be pulsing and will feel different. Usually all you have to do to disengage it is fully release the brakes, however briefly. I have been there on gravel where you have to release when you really don't want to. It can get a little intense.
The drive is paved. A bit of stray gavel near the road, but just a small patch (debris, really).

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I didn't get a job once because I did not wear socks.

They almost did not higher a guy in my office because he showed up dressed nice, but in sneakers. I saw his resume and told then if that is the only reason, they're idiots. He was HIGHLY qualified. He got the job, he was great, he now works in another office, alo due to his qualifications.

I may have told this story on MT before but.....I was on an interview team at my old office, 3 women and myself. We were interviewing for a clerk/typist position and it was summer. We were siting at a round table and a young woman came in wearing a sun dress that had a v neck that went half way to her navel. She came in, looked at the room, moved a chair to sit directly in front of me, leaned over on her elbows and did the entire interview, directly in front of me, in that position. I had no idea where to look while asking her questions and for weeks afterwards the other 3 women in the room made sure to harass me to no end about how obvious it was that I had no idea where to look and how uncomfortable I was during that interview.

She did not get the job, for that, but mainly for not being qualified for the job.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ah yikes! Really glad you're okay, would be so hard to react and know what to do if that happens depending on where you are at the time...

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
They almost did not higher a guy in my office because he showed up dressed nice, but in sneakers. I saw his resume and told then if that is the only reason, they're idiots. He was HIGHLY qualified. He got the job, he was great, he now works in another office, alo due to his qualifications.

I may have told this story on MT before but.....I was on an interview team at my old office, 3 women and myself. We were interviewing for a clerk/typist position and it was summer. We were siting at a round table and a young woman came in wearing a sun dress that had a v neck that went half way to her navel. She came in, looked at the room, moved a chair to sit directly in front of me, leaned over on her elbows and did the entire interview, directly in front of me, in that position. I had no idea where to look while asking her questions and for weeks afterwards the other 3 women in the room made sure to harass me to no end about how obvious it was that I had no idea where to look and how uncomfortable I was during that interview.

She did not get the job, for that, but mainly for not being qualified for the job.
LOL! XD

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really hate to hear this. I hope they get it under control soon!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Just saw this, after granfire quoted it.

I hope all i well and stays that way for you.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah yikes! Really glad you're okay, would be so hard to react and know what to do if that happens depending on where you are at the time...
Don't ask me how I did it. I don't remember a damn thing. The car didn't end up in the creek or in the other car - that's all that matters. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.