Reaction score
I.... am....speed

tenor.gif
I think I heard a sonic boom.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
New twist in my job.

I'm up for promotion....I would go back to supervising my old narcotics unit and it would be a little over a 10k per year raise.

But on the other side...I really like working in the violent crime/gang crime unit where I'm currently at. Plus a bunch of the guys in my old unit that I enjoyed working with have retired or are retiring. Added headache of supervising and training 4 brand new "narcs".

Kinda sucks being one of the last "old hands" left. This year 5 of the guys that I worked with for the last 12 years are retiring or have already retired.
That's a tough job either way.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know what I did or when but my left ankle has been feeling dodgy since last night. Highest on the list of suspects: the new shimmy we have been working on in belly dancing, which involves standing on tiptoe; the usual monthly revamp in Barre, which involves hugs amounts of balance exercises; massive amounts of laundry, cleaning, and cooking while getting @gpseymour prepped for his week-long teaching trip. Hmmmm.....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I should also add.....first day back after surgery.....on crutches.....park in my parking garage....on the 6th floor....and...the elevators are not working.......yup...Monday

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I should also add.....first day back after surgery.....on crutches.....park in my parking garage....on the 6th floor....and...the elevators are not working.......yup...Monday
did you tell them you were going to telecommute?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
did you tell them you were going to telecommute?

Almost went back home, but nope, drove back down to the guy at the main entrance and told him that I was not going to walk down 6 flights on crutches, so unless they wanted to take a vehicle up to where I park and give me a ride back down, or allow me to park on 1 (all reserved spots), I would happily go home....they allowed me to park in a reserved spot on 1...just for today. But if it happens again tomorrow I call the MD to see if I can get a Temporary Handicapped tag. However I would prefer to not go that route

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Almost went back home, but nope, drove back down to the guy at the main entrance and told him that I was not going to walk down 6 flights on crutches, so unless they wanted to take a vehicle up to where I park and give me a ride back down, or allow me to park on 1 (all reserved spots), I would happily go home....they allowed me to park in a reserved spot on 1...just for today. But if it happens again tomorrow I call the MD to see if I can get a Temporary Handicapped tag. However I would prefer to not go that route
That's what they do for folks at my job - when someone goes in for a surgery or is recovering from an injury, their manager always asks if they need a temporary handicapped tag. It's just something that's part of the culture. Maybe it's because we are a hospital system and just think about these things more. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's what they do for folks at my job - when someone goes in for a surgery or is recovering from an injury, their manager always asks if they need a temporary handicapped tag. It's just something that's part of the culture. Maybe it's because we are a hospital system and just think about these things more. :)

Use to work in hospitals, they're nice that way.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Handicap tags are the bomb, bro. And you need one right now, it's in your best health interest.

Where I live it's different. The two most common things are not sunshine and flowers, they're handicap tags and pickup trucks.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
shoot, do it!
that's what they are for! Live smarter, not harder!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Handicap tags are the bomb, bro. And you need one right now, it's in your best health interest.

Where I live it's different. The two most common things are not sunshine and flowers, they're handicap tags and pickup trucks.

Back in my State Security days I was out doing parking enforcement in our lot when a man, not a state employee, and not handicapped, comes tooling into the lot, right in front of me, the guy in the uniform with a badge, and parks in a handicapped spot. I stopped him as he got out of the car and asked him if he worked here and where was his handicapped tag. His response was "I'm a taxpayer, so I can park in any state lot I want." I said I'm a tax payer too and I can't park here. He proceeded to argue with me to which I responded "You do realize mentally handicapped does not count, don't you?" He go more aggressive in his instance that a tax payer can park here if he wants and there is nothing I could do about it. I then said, "You're right, there is nothing I can do about it. But the tow truck I'm going to call can. and then you can figure out what impound lot it is in." He let lose an expletives or two, got in his car, and drove out of my lot.

I expected to get in trouble for the mentally handicapped statement, but I never heard anything.

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Back in my State Security days I was out doing parking enforcement in our lot when a man, not a state employee, and not handicapped, comes tooling into the lot, right in front of me, the guy in the uniform with a badge, and parks in a handicapped spot. I stopped him as he got out of the car and asked him if he worked here and where was his handicapped tag. His response was "I'm a taxpayer, so I can park in any state lot I want." I said I'm a tax payer too and I can't park here. He proceeded to argue with me to which I responded "You do realize mentally handicapped does not count, don't you?" He go more aggressive in his instance that a tax payer can park here if he wants and there is nothing I could do about it. I then said, "You're right, there is nothing I can do about it. But the tow truck I'm going to call can. and then you can figure out what impound lot it is in." He let lose an expletives or two, got in his car, and drove out of my lot.

I expected to get in trouble for the mentally handicapped statement, but I never heard anything.
I want to shoot the 'mentally handicapped' remark at a lot of people who don't seem to be able to pull a car in between two blue lines. Or think nobody notices when their extra long truck blocks half the aisle. (took a picture of that....)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I used to work in a building in Boston that housed several consulates from various countries as well as some upper crust rich law firms who rented whole floors. Beside our building was a semi-circular drive used only for picking up and dropping off people, there was no parking allowed, which was well posted.

If you parked there you would get a warning slip on your wind shield as a courtesy to remind you there was no parking. A rookie hot shot young lawyer, new to the one of the firms, liked to park his BMW there and leave it. When he would come out he would read the note on his wind shield, promptly crumple it up and toss it on the lawn. The next step was to get a warning attached to your vehicle stating your next offense would get you towed. The driveway, by the way, is covered with multiple security cameras, we all saw the footage.

So the young hot shot gets the new red tag, reads it, spits on it, and tosses it on the grass. My Captain did not find this amusing. I asked him what he was going to do. He said, "I'm going to be very nice about it." Later that day he showed me our charter, which clearly stated that any vehicle needing to be towed may be towed to any facility that our organization uses. This is nation wide.

So me captain, God bless his soul, had the young man's shiny new Beemer towed from Boston to a lot in Virginia that we use down there, and stuck the whipper snapper with the bill. (I don't know what a six hundred mile tow must cost, but it can't be cheap)

When the guy found out he went screaming to his bosses, who happened to love us because we protect them....who immediately told Mr Hot Shot to fly to Virginia, pay the cost, get his car, drive back and then go apologize profusely to us. They also told him be thankful they didn't tow you to Los Angeles because they knew that was coming next. That's what my Captain meant about being nice.

Good times.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I used to work in a building in Boston that housed several consulates from various countries as well as some upper crust rich law firms who rented whole floors. Beside our building was a semi-circular drive used only for picking up and dropping off people, there was no parking allowed, which was well posted.

If you parked there you would get a warning slip on your wind shield as a courtesy to remind you there was no parking. A rookie hot shot young lawyer, new to the one of the firms, liked to park his BMW there and leave it. When he would come out he would read the note on his wind shield, promptly crumple it up and toss it on the lawn. The next step was to get a warning attached to your vehicle stating your next offense would get you towed. The driveway, by the way, is covered with multiple security cameras, we all saw the footage.

So the young hot shot gets the new red tag, reads it, spits on it, and tosses it on the grass. My Captain did not find this amusing. I asked him what he was going to do. He said, "I'm going to be very nice about it." Later that day he showed me our charter, which clearly stated that any vehicle needing to be towed may be towed to any facility that our organization uses. This is nation wide.

So me captain, God bless his soul, had the young man's shiny new Beemer towed from Boston to a lot in Virginia that we use down there, and stuck the whipper snapper with the bill. (I don't know what a six hundred mile tow must cost, but it can't be cheap)

When the guy found out he went screaming to his bosses, who happened to love us because we protect them....who immediately told Mr Hot Shot to fly to Virginia, pay the cost, get his car, drive back and then go apologize profusely to us. They also told him be thankful they didn't tow you to Los Angeles because they knew that was coming next. That's what my Captain meant about being nice.

Good times.

LOL, That's a good one....and I can't top it, I bow to you sir :)

One more about parking and that state job. We had another lot that was all parallel parking. Had an employee that did not have a tag park in the only space there. I was watching from the dock and I told him he cannot park there. He told me he knows, but he is parallel parked so there was no way I could have him towed, he ended with "It sucks to be you". I asked him if he ever saw a tow truck tow a car sideways out of a parallel space, it is a sight to see, and does do some damage to the car, He stopped, said "They can do that?"...."yup".

He stopped, turned around, went to his car and left the lot, without another word.

Status
Not open for further replies.