Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, since we're discussing falling apart, I'll pile on.

Went to the orthoped this week, both to follow up on some recent increases in knee problems and to talk about the recent loss of range of motion in my bad toe. Rehab for the knee starts next week (probably some inattention since I can't do the exercises I used to do to maintain leg strength). For the toe, it turns out I've got a really nice bone spur that needs to be dealt with. So, sometime this year, I'll go under the knife for that, then some weeks of recovery. Probably doing that next month.
Bummer. Bright side, a spur is usually fully recoverable. Best of luck.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bummer. Bright side, a spur is usually fully recoverable. Best of luck.
In spite of the recovery time and the idea of surgery, I'm actually stoked. I thought it was all arthritis, which would have been less treatable. A bit of surgery is definitely worth it to be able to bend my toe past 30 degrees. I just found out the one student who has started with me at the new location will be visiting family in Thailand for a month, so I'm going to try to get the surgery done during that time, so maybe I don't have to miss any classes.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yikes, am not the only one huh! If anything, all these injuries and strains have really been teaching me about the body, anatomy, proper care and alignment, and how to prevent and strengthen things, so every little thing that's popped up I've learned a great deal which is cool.

Well, since we're discussing falling apart, I'll pile on.

Went to the orthoped this week, both to follow up on some recent increases in knee problems and to talk about the recent loss of range of motion in my bad toe. Rehab for the knee starts next week (probably some inattention since I can't do the exercises I used to do to maintain leg strength). For the toe, it turns out I've got a really nice bone spur that needs to be dealt with. So, sometime this year, I'll go under the knife for that, then some weeks of recovery. Probably doing that next month.

Ah wow.. hope it all goes well and heals good!

Interesting observation - and I fully realize this might not work for everyone. My wrists almost do not bother me during the warmer months, because I garden, so I am constantly planting, weeding, watering, etc. - and it's all by hand. During non-gardening months, I do wrist stretches @gpseymour taught me as part of the standard class warm-up as well as wrist rotations based on hand positions from Indian dance, like alapadama (lotus).

I was also beginning to develop a nasty little bit of tendonitis in my right elbow. It went away after I started taking belly dancing - specifically after we got more involved with the arm gestures like snake arms and waterfall.

Ah thanks for that, yeah have definitely been working on wrist stretches and so on. The thing is I don't know if my pains are because of overuse injury, or just lack of mobility/strength. One implies resting it and tissue release, the other would need more mobility work and strengthening at end ranges of motion. I'm trying to do both simultaneously XD. Although I'm each would benefit me anyway.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes, am not the only one huh! If anything, all these injuries and strains have really been teaching me about the body, anatomy, proper care and alignment, and how to prevent and strengthen things, so every little thing that's popped up I've learned a great deal which is cool.

Ah wow.. hope it all goes well and heals good!

Ah thanks for that, yeah have definitely been working on wrist stretches and so on. The thing is I don't know if my pains are because of overuse injury, or just lack of mobility/strength. One implies resting it and tissue release, the other would need more mobility work and strengthening at end ranges of motion. I'm trying to do both simultaneously XD. Although I'm each would benefit me anyway.
Actually, both would probably imply a bit of both. If it's injured because it's weak or lacks mobility, then you're stressing it too hard for what it can currently handle, so it needs a softer initial approach while still working on strengthening and increasing ROM. If it hurts because it's overused, that's an injury, too, and probably needs a similar (but not quite identical) treatment.

If you can't get to someone who can help diagnose (sports med doc, PT, or someone like JR), then take the safe approach. Give it massage, find exercise that is mildly uncomfortable but not painful (even if that means it doesn't really feel like exercise any more), and work to stretch those specific muscles very gently. Some things heal pretty quickly (relatively speaking), and others take a while. My tendinitis took a long time - actually a very long time in one elbow - to go away.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, both would probably imply a bit of both. If it's injured because it's weak or lacks mobility, then you're stressing it too hard for what it can currently handle, so it needs a softer initial approach while still working on strengthening and increasing ROM. If it hurts because it's overused, that's an injury, too, and probably needs a similar (but not quite identical) treatment.

If you can't get to someone who can help diagnose (sports med doc, PT, or someone like JR), then take the safe approach. Give it massage, find exercise that is mildly uncomfortable but not painful (even if that means it doesn't really feel like exercise any more), and work to stretch those specific muscles very gently. Some things heal pretty quickly (relatively speaking), and others take a while. My tendinitis took a long time - actually a very long time in one elbow - to go away.
Very helpful, thanks mate. Yeah I know that my wrist flexibility is absolutely shocking at the moment, so it would definitely be weakened at the end range of wrist extension. When it's strained, it always hurts when I do wrist extension and do ulnar deviation (pinkie side moving in towards forearm).

Have gotten onto some really great exercises/trainers that emphasise not just static stretching everything, but mobility work and strengthening at the end ROM (active ROM). But of course I'm just self-diagnosing. I've really prioritised this finally, but if it truly doesn't heal up I'll have to seek someone out for sure.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In spite of the recovery time and the idea of surgery, I'm actually stoked. I thought it was all arthritis, which would have been less treatable. A bit of surgery is definitely worth it to be able to bend my toe past 30 degrees. I just found out the one student who has started with me at the new location will be visiting family in Thailand for a month, so I'm going to try to get the surgery done during that time, so maybe I don't have to miss any classes.
Your post has got me thinking about my right elbow. It has not fully straightened for a few years and grinds and hurts when I reach out and rotate the arm (like a twirling motion). I also have a pain in my right thumb that runs up my forearm. Like you I have just assumed it is arthritis but I guess I should give in and have it checked out. Would be great for find out it is an easy fix.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Years ago, I broke off a quarter sized piece of my ankle bone. I landed with all my weight coming down over the top of my foot.It swelled up right away but I hobbled around at work a few days before giving up and going to the doctor. A simple x-ray discovered the problem and an out-patient surgery fixed it. The only rehab I think was from the really bad sprain that occurred at the same time. So the recovery time for your spur will hopefully just consist of the incision healing and little pain.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

That's definitely something to ask a doctor - possibly get some scans done.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your post has got me thinking about my right elbow. It has not fully straightened for a few years and grinds and hurts when I reach out and rotate the arm (like a twirling motion). I also have a pain in my right thumb that runs up my forearm. Like you I have just assumed it is arthritis but I guess I should give in and have it checked out. Would be great for find out it is an easy fix.
If you're lucky, it might actually be something more treatable than arthritis. I really thought all my toe issues were just the arthritis getting worse, but apparently the primary ROM limitation now is that bone spur. Get it checked, man.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago, I broke off a quarter sized piece of my ankle bone. I landed with all my weight coming down over the top of my foot.It swelled up right away but I hobbled around at work a few days before giving up and going to the doctor. A simple x-ray discovered the problem and an out-patient surgery fixed it. The only rehab I think was from the really bad sprain that occurred at the same time. So the recovery time for your spur will hopefully just consist of the incision healing and little pain.
Doc says I'll probably be able to get back to obstacle course races (mud runs) within 6 weeks after surgery.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Knee/wrists are improving a great deal. Have been really consistent with the programs I'm doing, not doing anything silly, started on the turmeric tablets (thought I may as well try something different, the glucosamine and fish oil I've been taking for awhile I'm not sure has helped, hard to say), and had a good ol hour float in the sensory deprivation tank for recovery today.

Huzzah!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
moved furniture, hauled a ton (almost literally) of beading supplies.
I am sore form head to toe.
And I have NO room to move anymore.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
moved furniture, hauled a ton (almost literally) of beading supplies.
I am sore form head to toe.
And I have NO room to move anymore.
We need to get together for a bead-out. I haven't done any serious beading in ages and I miss it. I'll provide the food. You bring the beading supplies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Knee/wrists are improving a great deal. Have been really consistent with the programs I'm doing, not doing anything silly, started on the turmeric tablets (thought I may as well try something different, the glucosamine and fish oil I've been taking for awhile I'm not sure has helped, hard to say), and had a good ol hour float in the sensory deprivation tank for recovery today.

Huzzah!
Wait, WHAT? WHERE did you find a sensory deprivation tank? I am not really interested in one - I am just curious.

Turmeric is also fun if you just cook with it - delicious stuff. Very fragrant and drool-worthy.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wait, WHAT? WHERE did you find a sensory deprivation tank? I am not really interested in one - I am just curious.

Turmeric is also fun if you just cook with it - delicious stuff. Very fragrant and drool-worthy.

Hehe, we have a couple of studios here that have them, I've been going to this one for almost two years, had about 6 floats all up, really cool experience!

And everyone uses them for different reasons too, initially I bought an 8 session pass and was gonna use them for mediation purposes, but ended up using them more for recovery, releasing tension and relaxation purposes, they really just help to reset everything. It's something like 360kg of magnesium and salts dissolved into room temp water in a funky capsule, keep you floating :)

And yeah I often have turmeric with tuna, garlic aioli, rice, veg and cheese, delicious!

(Pics of the pod and room)
3b18f4e1a5a1e8028d166d5d33db10d1.jpg
fcae8d458242ba613e4ff3fa13feb57f.jpg
bbafc5a9b01ee9074f751627915ec49f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions