Last Poster #6

Discussion in 'Game Room' started by jks9199, Sep 10, 2018.

1. dvcochran

dvcochran Master of Arts

• Supporting Member
    Bummer. Bright side, a spur is usually fully recoverable. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  2. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    In spite of the recovery time and the idea of surgery, I'm actually stoked. I thought it was all arthritis, which would have been less treatable. A bit of surgery is definitely worth it to be able to bend my toe past 30 degrees. I just found out the one student who has started with me at the new location will be visiting family in Thailand for a month, so I'm going to try to get the surgery done during that time, so maybe I don't have to miss any classes.

• Like Like x 2
  3. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master Black Belt

Yikes, am not the only one huh! If anything, all these injuries and strains have really been teaching me about the body, anatomy, proper care and alignment, and how to prevent and strengthen things, so every little thing that's popped up I've learned a great deal which is cool.

Ah wow.. hope it all goes well and heals good!

Ah thanks for that, yeah have definitely been working on wrist stretches and so on. The thing is I don't know if my pains are because of overuse injury, or just lack of mobility/strength. One implies resting it and tissue release, the other would need more mobility work and strengthening at end ranges of motion. I'm trying to do both simultaneously XD. Although I'm each would benefit me anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  4. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Actually, both would probably imply a bit of both. If it's injured because it's weak or lacks mobility, then you're stressing it too hard for what it can currently handle, so it needs a softer initial approach while still working on strengthening and increasing ROM. If it hurts because it's overused, that's an injury, too, and probably needs a similar (but not quite identical) treatment.

If you can't get to someone who can help diagnose (sports med doc, PT, or someone like JR), then take the safe approach. Give it massage, find exercise that is mildly uncomfortable but not painful (even if that means it doesn't really feel like exercise any more), and work to stretch those specific muscles very gently. Some things heal pretty quickly (relatively speaking), and others take a while. My tendinitis took a long time - actually a very long time in one elbow - to go away.

• Like Like x 1
  5. _Simon_

Very helpful, thanks mate. Yeah I know that my wrist flexibility is absolutely shocking at the moment, so it would definitely be weakened at the end range of wrist extension. When it's strained, it always hurts when I do wrist extension and do ulnar deviation (pinkie side moving in towards forearm).

Have gotten onto some really great exercises/trainers that emphasise not just static stretching everything, but mobility work and strengthening at the end ROM (active ROM). But of course I'm just self-diagnosing. I've really prioritised this finally, but if it truly doesn't heal up I'll have to seek someone out for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dvcochran

dvcochran Master of Arts

• Supporting Member
    Your post has got me thinking about my right elbow. It has not fully straightened for a few years and grinds and hurts when I reach out and rotate the arm (like a twirling motion). I also have a pain in my right thumb that runs up my forearm. Like you I have just assumed it is arthritis but I guess I should give in and have it checked out. Would be great for find out it is an easy fix.

7. dvcochran

dvcochran Master of Arts

• Supporting Member
    Years ago, I broke off a quarter sized piece of my ankle bone. I landed with all my weight coming down over the top of my foot.It swelled up right away but I hobbled around at work a few days before giving up and going to the doctor. A simple x-ray discovered the problem and an out-patient surgery fixed it. The only rehab I think was from the really bad sprain that occurred at the same time. So the recovery time for your spur will hopefully just consist of the incision healing and little pain.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit Senior Master

That's definitely something to ask a doctor - possibly get some scans done.

9. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    If you're lucky, it might actually be something more treatable than arthritis. I really thought all my toe issues were just the arthritis getting worse, but apparently the primary ROM limitation now is that bone spur. Get it checked, man.

10. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Doc says I'll probably be able to get back to obstacle course races (mud runs) within 6 weeks after surgery.

• Like Like x 2
  11. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

12. granfire

granfire Sr. Grandmaster

• Like Like x 1
  13. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

• Supporting Member
    That's where you're wrong.....Xue never thought it was safe to go back into the water :D

14. _Simon_

Knee/wrists are improving a great deal. Have been really consistent with the programs I'm doing, not doing anything silly, started on the turmeric tablets (thought I may as well try something different, the glucosamine and fish oil I've been taking for awhile I'm not sure has helped, hard to say), and had a good ol hour float in the sensory deprivation tank for recovery today.

Huzzah!

• Like Like x 1
  15. granfire

granfire Sr. Grandmaster

moved furniture, hauled a ton (almost literally) of beading supplies.
    I am sore form head to toe.
    And I have NO room to move anymore.

16. AngryHobbit

• Like Like x 1
  17. AngryHobbit

We need to get together for a bead-out. I haven't done any serious beading in ages and I miss it. I'll provide the food. You bring the beading supplies.

18. AngryHobbit

Wait, WHAT? WHERE did you find a sensory deprivation tank? I am not really interested in one - I am just curious.

Turmeric is also fun if you just cook with it - delicious stuff. Very fragrant and drool-worthy.

19. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

• Supporting Member
    Well...good night

20. _Simon_

Hehe, we have a couple of studios here that have them, I've been going to this one for almost two years, had about 6 floats all up, really cool experience!

And everyone uses them for different reasons too, initially I bought an 8 session pass and was gonna use them for mediation purposes, but ended up using them more for recovery, releasing tension and relaxation purposes, they really just help to reset everything. It's something like 360kg of magnesium and salts dissolved into room temp water in a funky capsule, keep you floating :)

And yeah I often have turmeric with tuna, garlic aioli, rice, veg and cheese, delicious!

(Pics of the pod and room)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]