Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, one possible solution to stop water getting in down the road could be drylock paint on the interior. however it has its downsides that can, in the long run, be worse than the water getting it. The best, and by far most expensive, is digging up around the foundation and putting on a sealer. Could also install a sump pump

Or move 27,000 miles north where it gets to cold and we have to much ice for water to get in during the winter :D

Sump pump requires electricity... so they'd need a generator, too.

From the descriptions at hand, I suspect that the proper fix is to seal the foundation, add a french drain or similar approach. Might be able to address some of it with simple grading fixes, too.

Bottom line, not cheap -- but get the right input from experts who are able to examine it. Foundations are important... whether in martial arts or houses.

I'm not caught up yet on this thread, so the Hobbit might have answered this already.

Painting isn't an option - simply too much water coming in (up to 10-20 gallons a day). There's standing water within minutes. The immediate answer is trenching and sump well/pump in the slab on that part of the foundation. The suspicion is that there's a small spring back there - it is highly unlikely the current flow is still from the rains nearly 2 weeks ago. The area we are in is full of small springs, and they think the added water pressure just overcame the sealing that was done (something like Drylok). Eventually, I'll probably want to try do do something on that side of the house on the outside, but we'd be talking about excavating many feet deep (the seepage is about 11 feet below grade), so a major expenditure that's not possible right now.

So, hoping the sump pump can handle things, as that's only $1,500.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point was that if you, as a human, get into that prodigiously cold water, you are already hedging for a Darwin award. And if you get into cold water infested with cold water sharks - honestly, you had it coming.

Dry suits and heated garments allow for quite comfortable diving in Antarctica.
And sharks are sharks, no matter where you are or what the water temp. In other words, they're not particularly interested in us.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm not caught up yet on this thread, so the Hobbit might have answered this already.

Painting isn't an option - simply too much water coming in (up to 10-20 gallons a day). There's standing water within minutes. The immediate answer is trenching and sump well/pump in the slab on that part of the foundation. The suspicion is that there's a small spring back there - it is highly unlikely the current flow is still from the rains nearly 2 weeks ago. The area we are in is full of small springs, and they think the added water pressure just overcame the sealing that was done (something like Drylok). Eventually, I'll probably want to try do do something on that side of the house on the outside, but we'd be talking about excavating many feet deep (the seepage is about 11 feet below grade), so a major expenditure that's not possible right now.

My parents had a strange water issue in the (new) house the got when I was going to high school. I stepped out into the back yard and went through the crust, that was actually the ground, and found myself up to my knee in water. They discovered that there was a stream there before the contractor built the house and all he did was fill it in and then build the house. The contractor had to come back and put in proper drainage. Luckily for them it cost them nothing.

Good luck, water issues can be a real pain

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My parents had a strange water issue in the (new) house the got when I was going to high school. I stepped out into the back yard and went through the crust, that was actually the ground, and found myself up to my knee in water. They discovered that there was a stream there before the contractor built the house and all he did was fill it in and then build the house. The contractor had to come back and put in proper drainage. Luckily for them it cost them nothing.

Good luck, water issues can be a real pain

Lucky it wasn't a lake...

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

My teammate, who is also fighting a spring under his floor, and I are considering just giving in to nature, punching a hole in the floor (or in the wall), and having an indoor fountain.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You know, I was going to post something in another thread as it applies to using force...and then all sorts of alarms went off in my head and I decided it was not worth the potential hassle add to that I did not want type a copious amount a pages to explain....so I'll post it here and forget it....meet force with just enough force....then you are in control

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My teammate, who is also fighting a spring under his floor, and I are considering just giving in to nature, punching a hole in the floor (or in the wall), and having an indoor fountain.
I know a building that has a lovely fountain in front...

Those of us in the area long before there was a building there remember when it was a pasture, filled with cows. And a pond...

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well...if you see bacon...or kitkats floating around.......I highly recommend you stay out of the water in the basement.
Have some confidence. I DO know how to use a sword and I have a MEAN rib kick - which I can successfully land on a shark's snout.

Jokes aside - this is funny - I have osteoma in both hips. So....this means my hips lock up VERY painfully in all the directions normal people use them in. BUT the very same defect makes it possible for me to have an AMAZING rib kick in our style, where you pull up your knee and have to cock your hip INWARD (@gpseymour , am I explaining it right).

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Disadvantage of being a Hobbit - very short arms. When you bring up to armfuls of firewood, it sounds like a lot, but it's actually not a very impressive amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.