Not open for further replies.
OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my old professors had to spend a weekend in a house of crap (that he placed there). A guy was a surgeon, randomly developed this phobia of poop, and was almost fired because it was impacting his work. He hired my professor, who went to a (couple) dog park(s), picked up and sterilized all the poo he could find, then smeared it around this guys house. Went in the house on a friday, a guy came and messed with all the doorknobs so they were stuck in there, and proceeded to provide him a weekend-long intensive therapy session surrounded by poo. He got paid a lot of money for it, and the guy kept his job.
So, we've gone from a story of flooding to a story about flooding, huh?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They do where I live.

They sometimes see people and think they are prey.

No. Sharks do not see people as prey.
Sharks kill, on average, 6 people each year. Most of those are surfers or such. Cows kill 22. Do cows see people as prey?
Sharks sometimes see people and confuse them with something else. Like a seal, when you're messing around on the surface.
Thousands of us dive with thousands and thousands of sharks every year without incident. In the VERY rare case of a diver being bothered by a shark, it's inevitably because they've done something to stimulate the aggression. For example, if you go spear fishing and have a fish on the end of your spear, a shark might decide it wants it. You're stimulating the feeding behavior. The sound a strobe light makes charging up seems to piss off sharks (it irritates me, too). And they might get aggressive. But if you get bit, it's because they were going after the camera.

'Sharks don't like to eat people': attack statistics contradict untested theories

Mosquitoes. Now THERE is an animal to be feared. They kill more people every year than any other animal. No shark (and I've swam with hundreds) has ever been the least bit dangerous to me. But a mosquito nearly killed me.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last time stats were available, trousers killed more people every year than sharks did.

As did stairs.

And toasters.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sharks kill, on average, 6 people each year. Most of those are surfers or such. Cows kill 22. Do cows see people as prey?
Sharks sometimes see people and confuse them with something else. Like a seal, when you're messing around on the surface.
Thousands of us dive with thousands and thousands of sharks every year without incident. In the VERY rare case of a diver being bothered by a shark, it's inevitably because they've done something to stimulate the aggression. For example, if you go spear fishing and have a fish on the end of your spear, a shark might decide it wants it. You're stimulating the feeding behavior. The sound a strobe light makes charging up seems to piss off sharks (it irritates me, too). And they might get aggressive. But if you get bit, it's because they were going after the camera.

'Sharks don't like to eat people': attack statistics contradict untested theories

Mosquitoes. Now THERE is an animal to be feared. They kill more people every year than any other animal. No shark (and I've swam with hundreds) has ever been the least bit dangerous to me. But a mosquito nearly killed me.

Oh yeah.....well what are the chances of being attacked by a shark if you're not in the water in which they live....0%...point and match Xue Sheng :D

I don't want sharks bothering me in my house, so I don't plan on bothering them in theirs. And sharks are potentially dangerous to humans, as are many carnivores and more than a few herbivores too...see the hippopotamus. I worked a tree farm with a Cougar on it and a rather large old male bear too. The bear did not bother me, it was the cougar you had to watch out for, but luckily never had to deal with it.

In all seriousness I know a lot more about sharks than I let on......I have no desire to go diving, I declined the offer to go diving made by some friends of mine in a local freshwater lake a few years back. Simply no desire to do that. Also have no desire to take up ballet, tight rope walking, skate boarding, clog dancing, go sky diving or go to Australia either.

However, unlike sharks, I breath air, therefore I have no choice but to deal with mosquitoes. But I do I avoid cows, they're, IMO, four legged bulldozers, and again, I have no reason to be around them. But I do plan on going into my yard even though I am dealing with a potentially fatal tick borne illness that I likely got there

But truth be known my biggest fear about the ocean is this
latest

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Of that 6 we had three of them this year.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Of that 6 we had three of them this year.

So? It's a matter of populations and chance. 3 seconds of checking says there were over 9 million tourists in AUS in 2018. Let's say only 2 million of them (which I suspect is a really low estimate) went to the beach. Plus a couple million more from 'locals'.
So out of at LEAST 4 million people to choose from, 3 got killed. How many drowned? How many died in car crashes?
Seems a pretty trivial number.

The news here was all kerfluffled about a guy getting killed off the coast in the NE somewhere (I don't remember exactly where). Of course, it was the first in like 80 years, but they still got excited.
Shark attacks are big news because they are extremely rare.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That’s what I was saying.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
just checked my phone....message from my doctor....wants me to call him and have him paged...I hate it when MDs do this.....now you start wondering is there something more......then the hypochondria kicks in.........
Ah yeah I know the feeling... just take it as it comes hey, hope it's better news for you

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
just checked my phone....message from my doctor....wants me to call him and have him paged...I hate it when MDs do this.....now you start wondering is there something more......then the hypochondria kicks in.........
What did the doctor say? Everything alright?

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yeah.....well what are the chances of being attacked by a shark if you're not in the water in which they live....0%...point and match Xue Sheng :D

I don't want sharks bothering me in my house, so I don't plan on bothering them in theirs. And sharks are potentially dangerous to humans, as are many carnivores and more than a few herbivores too...see the hippopotamus. I worked a tree farm with a Cougar on it and a rather large old male bear too. The bear did not bother me, it was the cougar you had to watch out for, but luckily never had to deal with it.

In all seriousness I know a lot more about sharks than I let on......I have no desire to go diving, I declined the offer to go diving made by some friends of mine in a local freshwater lake a few years back. Simply no desire to do that. Also have no desire to take up ballet, tight rope walking, skate boarding, clog dancing, go sky diving or go to Australia either.

However, unlike sharks, I breath air, therefore I have no choice but to deal with mosquitoes. But I do I avoid cows, they're, IMO, four legged bulldozers, and again, I have no reason to be around them. But I do plan on going into my yard even though I am dealing with a potentially fatal tick borne illness that I likely got there

But truth be known my biggest fear about the ocean is this
latest
Google Image Result for https://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/files/show_art_Sharknado_3.jpg

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I were a cow, I would at the very least see people as an enemy.... Seriously... read this in a book by a gentleman who devoted his life to the study of anthropology, paleonthology, and history. In the 1960s, there was an African tribe, which did rear cows, but not for eating meat. They milked the cows and took a little bit of blood from the cows' necks, and mixed it with the milk to get some of the health advantages we gain from the meat. I thought it was very interesting. From a cow's standpoint, they were vampires... but not as brutal as Anne Rice's vampires, because they let the cow live out its normal lifespan.

Totally agree. Mosquitoes are jerks. I am allergic - mosquito bites really do me in. I still have memories of the cologne "Carnation" my mom use to treat my mosquito bites when I was little. It's true the stuff disinfected and cauterized those things for good. But it was Soviet issue cologne - I am not sure what was worse: it or the mosquito bites.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Took Sadie to the dog park today. There was another St Bernard there, named Tractor, a big boy. Sadie is big at 115 lbs, but she looked small compared to that big boy. He was at least 200 lbs of slobber. Makes me want one more dog....

I feel ya, Steve. I’m looking for a dog now.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took Sadie to the dog park today. There was another St Bernard there, named Tractor, a big boy. Sadie is big at 115 lbs, but she looked small compared to that big boy. He was at least 200 lbs of slobber. Makes me want one more dog....
That happens most times I go to the park. I'll run one that reminds me of an old friend, or one I've wanted, and I just want "one more".

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yup, dogs are dangerous that way. ;)

I love big doggies. I love all animals, including tarantulas and snakes, but big doggies are high on my favorites list. An uncle in Moscow had a Moscow shepherd - a St. Bernard cousin. Such a lovely dog! She and I spent many an hour sitting on her blanket on the floor, with me propped up against her, reading. Good times.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel ya, Steve. I’m looking for a dog now.
After @gpseymour 's dad went back home to Wyoming, we've been worrying about his potentially being in dog withdrawal, since he'd spent two weeks constantly surrounded by our dogs crawling all over him. He'd threatened to sneak the little dachshund into his luggage and kidnap him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions