Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never even heard of those. I want to know more, but I'm absolutely certain that'll lead me down an internet rabbit hole that will consume the rest of my remaining attention span for the day.

They're actually a sensible option.

There was the slight issue a couple of years ago where they were apparently randomly catching fire - but apart from that...

To be fair, the issue really turned out to be a seal that wears and allows lint to collect near the element, where it shouldn't get. But only if the trap wasn't emptied regularly.

Couple that with people putting them on too high a heat setting for the fabrics, setting them to run for 3 hours and going out for the day, and never emptying the lint trap...

When we had ours 'rectified' under the recall, the fitter blokey commented on it being the least fluffy inside he'd ever seen ;)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, the reason our heat pump was leaking was - there was a dead rat in the catch pan, who blocked the drain and caused the catch pan to overflow. You know.... around here, even our electrical power company has a fault reason "wildlife interference". It usually means the power was lost or flickered because a squirrel shorted a line somewhere or a couple of turkey vultures decided to do their mating dance on the lines. Well, apparently, we can now add "wildlife interference" to our heat pump operation issues.
Y'know, I was explaining the term "wildlife interference" to my new friends in India on Thursday, as well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, there is good reason to believe that the "man cold" is a real thing. There have been a number of studies showing that the immune response varies by gender, and that men do, in fact, get sicker when exposed to the common cold virus.
I've been saying that for years, based entirely on the fact that I'm too tough to be that much of a wuss if I'm not dying.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somehow, I still haven't signed up for the supporting membership. I tried a year or so ago, but was having difficulty making the payment (with the site), and just kinda forgot about it.
Yeah, it took me a few tries to get mine done. Apparently it finally worked, because I got my badge.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished cooking a rack of spare ribs....was supposed to go over to the baseball field and let Jacob work on pitching but the weather decided not to cooperate.

Instead just relaxing and watching the rain.
My eyes must still be on Indian Standard Time, because as I was scrolling this onto the screen, I read the first part as, "Just finished cooking a spare rack of cats..."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yaaaaay! We missed ya @gpseymour! How was India? :) (after your nap of course!)
I enjoyed the people I worked with there. I loved the food - couldn't find anything I didn't like to eat. The Taj Mahal is smaller than I thought, but the inlay in the marble is amazing (as is the marble, itself). The rest of the country is apparently nothing but a place to throw trash. It's everywhere.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're actually a sensible option.

There was the slight issue a couple of years ago where they were apparently randomly catching fire - but apart from that...

To be fair, the issue really turned out to be a seal that wears and allows lint to collect near the element, where it shouldn't get. But only if the trap wasn't emptied regularly.

Couple that with people putting them on too high a heat setting for the fabrics, setting them to run for 3 hours and going out for the day, and never emptying the lint trap...

When we had ours 'rectified' under the recall, the fitter blokey commented on it being the least fluffy inside he'd ever seen ;)
First of all..."fitter blokey"????

Beyond that, I like the idea of something that doesn't need an outside vent. I might have to look into those when we next need to replace the appliances.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, now I need some arguments and debates to get my monthly post count up to something respectable. A lull in project work, so I got the time.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
First of all..."fitter blokey"????

Yeah, I refuse to use the term "engineer" for someone who is trained to fit replacement parts to domestic appliances ;)

I would've happily done the modification myself, but that wouldn't have updated their records...

As it was, I had it more bits a few weeks later to fit a new drive belt.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I refuse to use the term "engineer" for someone who is trained to fit replacement parts to domestic appliances ;)

I would've happily done the modification myself, but that wouldn't have updated their records...

As it was, I had it more bits a few weeks later to fit a new drive belt.
I haven't worked on any of my own appliances in a long time. Mostly because they rarely break. I remember once as a teenager, my mom's washing machine stopped working. It wouldn't spin. I dismantled it, couldn't find anything wrong, and put it back together. It worked. I figure that's about as good at repair as a man can get: change nothing and make it work.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't worked on any of my own appliances in a long time. Mostly because they rarely break. I remember once as a teenager, my mom's washing machine stopped working. It wouldn't spin. I dismantled it, couldn't find anything wrong, and put it back together. It worked. I figure that's about as good at repair as a man can get: change nothing and make it work.

I fixed a cd player a while back by putting it in the loft for 6 months.

It stopped reading any discs, and because I'm a bit of a hoarder I didn't want to chuck it so it went in the loft.

When I took it out to try a fix, it worked again.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you have pieces left over when you were done?

See, it's a little known secret, but manufacturers routinely add extra whozits, whatchamacallits, and thingamabobs when they build things. These extra parts often get out of whack and ornery, and you have to go in and remove them. Then everything works fine...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fixed a cd player a while back by putting it in the loft for 6 months.

It stopped reading any discs, and because I'm a bit of a hoarder I didn't want to chuck it so it went in the loft.

When I took it out to try a fix, it worked again.
It needed a time out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions