Last Person Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a buck 50 you get those things at walmart....you are probably more familiar with those things with wood beads though....we used them in school, before Al Gore invented the internet! Calculators! :rolleyes:

(I am working on a new source for being shunned, I'm afraid!)

I don't shun...

WalMart no doubt sells a fine calculator, but given the rates airlines charge for baggage, the less to be packed, the better.
And, when I say "calculator", what I really mean is an app called V-Planner that designed specifically for calculating decompression stops, ideal gas mixtures, and gas volume requirements for technical diving. It's much faster than running the formulas by hand.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Good point...and I walked right into that one :D

but I think you're thinking about the wrong type of cougar, the one I'm talking about looks like this

Cougar2.jpg

And I had no problem going through the woods knowing it was there somewhere but I can't see it.... but I do have a problem with being out of my element, underwater, watching a shark.....

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if you're talking about the large feline cougar, I'd be happy to go out there with you, despite the fact that there are far, far more people attacked by woodland critters every year than by sea critters. Even a "domesticated" critter like the cow kills far more people every year than sharks.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Even if you're talking about the large feline cougar, I'd be happy to go out there with you, despite the fact that there are far, far more people attacked by woodland critters every year than by sea critters. Even a "domesticated" critter like the cow kills far more people every year than sharks.
true, but there are more people on land than in water.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Cougars (meaning cats) are a bit scary since they tend to be ambush predators, but they also mark their territory so you have some little idea as to where they might be, the Cougar. There was a big old black bear with a den on the property as well and he was of little threat. Although he hated fences and tended to walk through them when they got in his way, but then there were a lot of bears around there.

true, but there are more people on land than in water.

Yup, and I can breathe in land, I don't have to bring my air with me.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
heard from one of our 4 year old white belts today talking to one
of our 2nd Dans - 'Sir - what's your name' - 2nd Dan pointed to his name
printed on his belt and said 'Jose Salgado' - the 4 year old thought a
moment and said 'how do you say that in English?' :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well another snow storm predicted for my area this weekend (3 to 7 inches) and this morning I was mumbling and annoyed and just miserable at the thought of it...and then I remembered something.

I use to work on a tree farm in the Mountains of Pennsylvania and occasionally that meant being out in some fairly nasty weather in the winter with lots of snow shoeing. I was out one day during a rather big snowstorm and it was nasty and I was going through the woods on snow shoes just checking out the property when I came out to a rather large clearing and all I could see was snow, everywhere and it was windy too. A lot of falling snow, a lot of blowing snow and as I stood there. all of a sudden I realized I was the only human and possible the only mammal there, I was alone, and it was cold, windy and quiet and all I could see was falling snow and all I could hear was the wind going through the trees.... and it was absolutely one of the most amazing and peaceful moments of my life..... so I guess snow ain't so bad after all.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of great weather moments one time at a Japanese Tea House we had just observed a tea ceremony and then had the tea and some sweets. It was incredibly tranquil. Afterwards we went outside to a very overcast sky. There were about twelve of us and we began training in this beautiful woodland area. A slight drizzle came down, nothing much so we just kept on training. About thirty minutes later it was a full on raging storm. Rain coming down like you were under a waterfall. As you were thrown to the ground you couldn't open your eyes because it was pouring so hard. Absolutely great outdoor training experience! Nothing quite like connecting with nature!

Status
Not open for further replies.