Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because of health issues, I'm on a diet of Italian food, chared meats, fish, veggies, fruit, cheese, ice cream, soups, Grey Goose, beer water and cookies. Nothing else.

So far so good. And I mean so good.
I have been observing a similar diet, though I've had to adapt it to my personal health needs by replacing the Grey Goose with equivalent amounts of whisky.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Because of health issues, I'm on a diet of Italian food, chared meats, fish, veggies, fruit, cheese, ice cream, soups, Grey Goose, beer water and cookies. Nothing else.

How can I get your health issues?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Well I am glad to hear you have a handle on your health issues, and I might be dull boring and old, but I rarely drink at all these days, not by any choice, it just seems to workout that way. But if I do, again I will remain dull and unimaginative because I would likely drink either Dark beer or Sake....warm, not cold...cold sake is just wrong...but then I think cold dark beer is wrong too.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've never had sake. On my list of things to try. If I were going to try some, what kind should I try?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am not a connoisseur of Sake, generally whatever the good Japanese restaurant I am in has to offer. But the times I have bought it I bought what was recommended by a friend's wife who was from Japan. The one I remember was Hakkaisan sake, there was another, but I cannot remember what it was.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had sake. On my list of things to try. If I were going to try some, what kind should I try?
I'm no expert, but I've had no bad experiences when buying. I generally avoid the least expensive (as I would with wine), but often go for the low-mid price ones. They can be nearly as varied as white wines in some ways. The best place to experiment is (as Xue suggested) at a nice Japanese restaurant.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I've had no bad experiences when buying. I generally avoid the least expensive (as I would with wine), but often go for the low-mid price ones. They can be nearly as varied as white wines in some ways. The best place to experiment is (as Xue suggested) at a nice Japanese restaurant.

Good bottle today is about $30 to $40 dollars I believe.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You can go mid range as well, but I would stay away from Cheap.

Best bet, try it in a restaurant first before you go buy a bottle of something you might hate

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa... spendy.
It tends to go further than a bottle of wine, though. And has Xue said, there's reasonable stuff in the mid-range. I usually spend $20 or so a bottle. I don't mind taking a risk, so I occasionally just buy one that looks good (meaning, I like the packaging) and find out what it tastes like. I've been disappointed, but never had one that was undrinkable.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I frequently had Sake at Japanese restaurants, but never really enjoyed the taste. Seems to give a good buzz, though, I guess because it's hot.

About twenty years ago, one of my guys started a Sake ritual at his Dojo after high ranking promotions. Everybody seemed to enjoy it. I didn't think I would - but I did.

original-5a206ab5f4d78a60fc6603eb48e4a621.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I frequently had Sake at Japanese restaurants, but never really enjoyed the taste. Seems to give a good buzz, though, I guess because it's hot.

About twenty years ago, one of my guys started a Sake ritual at his Dojo after high ranking promotions. Everybody seemed to enjoy it. I didn't think I would - but I did.

original-5a206ab5f4d78a60fc6603eb48e4a621.jpg
It tastes better when a friend gets a new rank, Buka.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Heard this on the news this morning...

The state of Maine, depending on where you live, you got between 3 feet to 6 feet of snow out of the last couple storms....and I thought the 13 to 14 inches we got was a lot from those same storms

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Love sake as it is great when done right. As Xue mentioned Hakkaisan sake is solid. Good sake is not going to be cheap. Avoid the cheap stuff. Just like any quality drink. Flavored sake is okay (I do not drink it myself) but it is not the good stuff. It is kind've like Tequila. Good quality tequila is pricey as well. Same with whiskey, etc.

Best to have sake warm! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.