Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something I translated recently solely for the benefit of the community. "The more complex the society, the more disciplined it must be, but this discipline has to be conscientious, thus, each person within it must be more and more developed and multifaceted. In the absence of self-control, the inner balance between an individual and the outside world is violated, when he goes beyond the boundaries of comprehension of his own abilities and, while trying to climb higher, develops an inferiority complex and descends into cruelty and hypocrisy." - Ivan Yefremov

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
cruised around Facebook yesterday.... I never do that....and I discovered why..... I came across 2 ex-girlfriends and 1 ex-fiancée and they all look incredibly happy...and although I am happy they are happy..... they all have one thing in common...... the broke up with me.....
I never look up people who broke up with me. I don't like hanging out with idiots - and they had to have been idiots to have made such an epically bad decision. ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Something I translated recently solely for the benefit of the community. "The more complex the society, the more disciplined it must be, but this discipline has to be conscientious, thus, each person within it must be more and more developed and multifaceted. In the absence of self-control, the inner balance between an individual and the outside world is violated, when he goes beyond the boundaries of comprehension of his own abilities and, while trying to climb higher, develops an inferiority complex and descends into cruelty and hypocrisy." - Ivan Yefremov

I was dealing with a translation last week, but from the perspective of an English speaker, which I am, dealing with a translation form Chinese to English which was done by a native Chinese speaker......two word were translated wrong with changed things, one a little and one a lot...

Pinch, which should have been squeeze or grasp and......Groping which should have been milling or grinding....
It was the Groping translation that made me take notice.... and start editing

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was dealing with a translation last week, but from the perspective of an English speaker, which I am, dealing with a translation form Chinese to English which was done by a native Chinese speaker......two word were translated wrong with changed things, one a little and one a lot...

Pinch, which should have been squeeze or grasp and......Groping which should have been milling or grinding....
Translations can become funny quite quickly. There was actually a book published once (19th century, IIRC) that was supposed to be a guide to English for Portuguese (I think). Unfortunately, they didn't have anyone who spoke the target language (English), so they used a dictionary. Except they didn't have a Portuguese-English dictionary, either. But they had an old Portuguese-French phrasebook, and a French-English dictionary, so...

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

That's why I have native English speakers edit my work. While I am as close to fully bilingual as they come, I am reminded regularly English is not my first language. So, if I am to conduct any sort of professional activities in the translation world, I have to let someone else edit for me.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Translations can become funny quite quickly. There was actually a book published once (19th century, IIRC) that was supposed to be a guide to English for Portuguese (I think). Unfortunately, they didn't have anyone who spoke the target language (English), so they used a dictionary. Except they didn't have a Portuguese-English dictionary, either. But they had an old Portuguese-French phrasebook, and a French-English dictionary, so...
Sometimes... I wonder whether that's the methodology they used to build Google translate. It's not wholly hideous but sometimes... damn.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

A good friend of mine was born and raised in Guangzhou, China. He grew up to be an English teacher in Guangzhou. He said the English program that they followed was a program they got from Russia and the Russians got it from England. HE said the very first thing he was required to teach his students was an greeting
"Hello, how are you"
"Fine, and you"

He told me this many years ago, but at that time he said. "I have been in America for 15 years and have never heard "Hello, how are you", "Fine, and you".. I've heard What's up, how are you doing, hey, hi, and hello...and none really expect you to respond.....it is no wonder our students could read and write better than they speak"

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just got home from Phoenix (USKA World Championship)....20 hours driving straight thru....exhausted.

But the trip was great.

Jacob won his division (12-13 Male Advanced Belt) in Kumite (5 point matches) for the 4th year in a row.
Also, 1st in Kata, 1st in Ippon Sparring, 1st in Weapons forms, 1st in Coed Team Fighting (2 male and 1 female)

He was a little disappointed that he finished Runner Up in both Kata and Weapons 17 and under Grand Champion Finals....Kata was very close...he lost by just a couple hundredths of a point.

He maintained his spot on the National Team though so he was very happy about that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good friend of mine was born and raised in Guangzhou, China. He grew up to be an English teacher in Guangzhou. He said the English program that they followed was a program they got from Russia and the Russians got it from England. HE said the very first thing he was required to teach his students was an greeting
"Hello, how are you"
"Fine, and you"

He told me this many years ago, but at that time he said. "I have been in America for 15 years and have never heard "Hello, how are you", "Fine, and you".. I've heard What's up, how are you doing, hey, hi, and hello...and none really expect you to respond.....it is no wonder our students could read and write better than they speak"
At least he didn't have to teach, "Your guitar, is she in tune?" (An actual quote from the aforementioned book.)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got home from Phoenix (USKA World Championship)....20 hours driving straight thru....exhausted.

But the trip was great.

Jacob won his division (12-13 Male Advanced Belt) in Kumite (5 point matches) for the 4th year in a row.
Also, 1st in Kata, 1st in Ippon Sparring, 1st in Weapons forms, 1st in Coed Team Fighting (2 male and 1 female)

He was a little disappointed that he finished Runner Up in both Kata and Weapons 17 and under Grand Champion Finals....Kata was very close...he lost by just a couple hundredths of a point.

He maintained his spot on the National Team though so he was very happy about that.
Sounds like an excellent showing. And Jacob is quite the competitor.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because I'm all fragile and dainty like that.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.