Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ugh.... What is UP with promoting people to jobs they don't know anything about. My father always said, "If you want to be a good boss, you must be familiar with everything your subordinates do, or at least have an idea. Better yet - try your hand at their jobs. That way, they can never say, 'You have no idea what I am going through,' because you do."
You need to be willing to roll up your sleeves, but you don’t need to be an expert. How technical you have to be depends on the line of work.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rather tired of people changing things because they can, rather than because they should be changed. Also tired of people with nothing better to do screwing things up. Or doing thingd without checking with those it may effect.

Ah....the Bad Idea Fairies strike again.

CrazedChris

Green Belt
Reaction score
Had a busy day yesterday, hoping to have a busy day today too. Just have to find my motivation, anyone seen it?

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rather tired of people changing things because they can, rather than because they should be changed. Also tired of people with nothing better to do screwing things up. Or doing thingd without checking with those it may effect. And special people being given carte blanche...

Seriously considering finding a small ceramic mushroom for my desk.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
It's mind-boggling how many executives of large organizations don't understand the difference between necessary change and introducing instability just for the sake of appearing busy.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zumba yesterday... had sweat coming out of places where people don't have sweat glands... unless I evolved some specifically for Zumba purposes.

On a positive side, during the squatting exercise, discovered a better way to load the leg for a rib kick.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's mind-boggling how many executives of large organizations don't understand the difference between necessary change and introducing instability just for the sake of appearing busy.
Back in the 20s and 30s there was a study done on productivity. If I think about it when I'm not in a phone, I will try to find more info . The gist, IIRC, was that any change creates a bump in productivity. Didn't really matter whether the change was positive or negative.

Edit: Hawthorne Effect is what I'm thinking of, if anyone cares to google it .

Last edited:

CrazedChris

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interesting.
Search Results
Dictionary
Haw·thorne ef·fect
noun
noun: Hawthorne effect
  1. the alteration of behavior by the subjects of a study due to their awareness of being observed.
Also known as "the boss is watching, look busy." ;)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
falls in line of never having actually done the job they are trying to micro manage....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.
Search Results
Dictionary
Haw·thorne ef·fect
noun
  1. the alteration of behavior by the subjects of a study due to their awareness of being observed.
Here's a link about the actual study, which is more to the point than the now-common definition (it has changed over the last couple of decades).

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Interesting.
Search Results
Dictionary
Haw·thorne ef·fect
noun
Good employees don’t have to fake it. ;)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
falls in line of never having actually done the job they are trying to micro manage....
My experience is that micro management is rarely because they don’t know your job, and generally occurs in two situations. Most often, it’s someone who knows your job very well and is insecure about losing their technical credibility. Almost as common, they don’t trust you (which is sometimes their issue, sometimes your issue, and usually a little of both).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience is that micro management is rarely because they don’t know your job, and generally occurs in two situations. Most often, it’s someone who knows your job very well and is insecure about losing their technical credibility. Almost as common, they don’t trust you (which is sometimes their issue, sometimes your issue, and usually a little of both).
Agreed, though I'll extend the former to include folks who don't really know the job as well as they think they do, and are insecure about having employees who seem more competent than they.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. In my experience, micromanaging is a result of incompetence, or fear of being caught out as being incompetent. Most of those who actually know what they're doing can trust the people who work for them. They know who needs close supervision, who needs broad guidance and how close they have to be to give the person the support they need.

Another set simply don't trust anyone else to be able to do the job the way they would do it. Sometimes those are very confident, sometimes you're not very, then, but the commonality is a simply don't believe anyone else knows what they're doing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Interesting. In my experience, micromanaging is a result of incompetence, or fear of being caught out as being incompetent. Most of those who actually know what they're doing can trust the people who work for them. They know who needs close supervision, who needs broad guidance and how close they have to be to give the person the support they need.
kind of. It’s definitely not competent management. But competence and trust are completely different. I can be competent, and you can be competent, and I can still not trust you. We can also both be incompetent... or somewhere in between. And still I can not trust you as an employee. Lots of other possible reasons for that.

Also, very important to note that competence for the manager is competence AS a manager. Competence as an employee is as a technician. And the skill sets are not the same.
Another set simply don't trust anyone else to be able to do the job the way they would do it. Sometimes those are very confident, sometimes you're not very, then, but the commonality is a simply don't believe anyone else knows what they're doing.

im not sure I understand what you mean by this. But sure.

It’s also possible that cop management and culture, being closer to a military organization, is not the same as white collar management.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, in my case, it's the Cain and the good Captain Queeg....
We worry about a quart of Strawberries, while we are running across our tow line....

Status
Not open for further replies.