Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Forget it. I'll just order a pizza.
You know.... seriously speaking... the cookbook I ended up writing started as a series of blog posts - not even my own, at a friend's web site - for people who firmly believed they could never cook. EVER. Because it was the most complicated thing in the world and why bother. I told them how to bake potatoes and make pasta... and sautee shrimp... and toss salads... and make Sangria Maria... and there was much rejoicing.

tenor.gif

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't expect me to know where the scissors are, do you?

One of the reasons I always carry a knife... right front pocket.

When I'm at work, it's knife in right front pocket, scissors in right thigh pocket.

When I'm diving, it's knife just left of the buckle on the waist belt, scissors in right thigh pocket, line cutter at the left shoulder. If I'm Lionfish hunting, the BFK is on the inside of the left calf.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I went to the movies yesterday, saw "A Quiet Place". The mulitplex at the mall here has been done over. I was the only person in a twenty seat theatre at the afternoon showing. The chairs recline all the way back, like a nice couch. It was pretty cool.

The film was top notch, very well done. For any genre, but especially for a sci fi/horror/suspense film, which I don't usually see. John Krasinski wrote directed and starred in it with his wife, Emily Blunt. I think we see more from this guy, he's a serious rising talent.

It started slow, I thought I had made a mistake coming.....then it built.....built some more....some more...then just took off like a rocket. And it had a great ending, a real punctuation point. Well cast, well acted, well shot. Man, I really liked this movie.

You cared about the characters, about their family, which were the only people in the entire film. I think it's why it was scary, because you were scared for them and the situation they were in.

There was one scene - any film that can make me wrap my arms around my head, squirm in my seat like a child and make noises - that's something. It was as uncomfortable watching a movie as I've been in many years.

And even though it's at a bad time of year for award nomination, I think it will be nominated for Best Original Screenplay come the winter. It was that good.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
worthless post to check something out... so might as well put it here!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I went to the movies yesterday, saw "A Quiet Place". The mulitplex at the mall here has been done over. I was the only person in a twenty seat theatre at the afternoon showing. The chairs recline all the way back, like a nice couch. It was pretty cool.

The film was top notch, very well done. For any genre, but especially for a sci fi/horror/suspense film, which I don't usually see. John Krasinski wrote directed and starred in it with his wife, Emily Blunt. I think we see more from this guy, he's a serious rising talent.

It started slow, I thought I had made a mistake coming.....then it built.....built some more....some more...then just took off like a rocket. And it had a great ending, a real punctuation point. Well cast, well acted, well shot. Man, I really liked this movie.

You cared about the characters, about their family, which were the only people in the entire film. I think it's why it was scary, because you were scared for them and the situation they were in.

There was one scene - any film that can make me wrap my arms around my head, squirm in my seat like a child and make noises - that's something. It was as uncomfortable watching a movie as I've been in many years.

And even though it's at a bad time of year for award nomination, I think it will be nominated for Best Original Screenplay come the winter. It was that good.
I love your movie reviews. You could make a profession of it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hadn't been to a movie theater for many years until we went last year. They'd done the same to the cinemas here - big, comfy recliners and many fewer seats. Hell, you can buy beer and wine there now. Much more appealing to me than just sitting in those old theater seats. But I do worry that I'll do what I do at home when I get good and comfy for a movie: fall asleep.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I hadn't been to a movie theater for many years until we went last year. They'd done the same to the cinemas here - big, comfy recliners and many fewer seats. Hell, you can buy beer and wine there now. Much more appealing to me than just sitting in those old theater seats. But I do worry that I'll do what I do at home when I get good and comfy for a movie: fall asleep.
I like the reserved seats now ay our local theaters . You can buy tickets in advance and not worry about getting seats together.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know.... seriously speaking... the cookbook I ended up writing started as a series of blog posts - not even my own, at a friend's web site - for people who firmly believed they could never cook. EVER. Because it was the most complicated thing in the world and why bother. I told them how to bake potatoes and make pasta... and sautee shrimp... and toss salads... and make Sangria Maria... and there was much rejoicing.

tenor.gif
Nope! No cookbook no how! It's pizza time!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Crap....I think Firefox is messing with my head.
tried to reply on stuff for days....
Had to open up Chrome......

Not liking the way this is going.....
(note to self, start backing up stuff...nao)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the reserved seats now ay our local theaters . You can buy tickets in advance and not worry about getting seats together.

I have a different method that guarantees getting seats together.
If the theater is going to be that crowded, I don't go. I don't care to be packed elbow to elbow with a room full of targets. I mean strangers.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If the theater is going to be that crowded, I don't go. I don't care to be packed elbow to elbow with a room full of targets. I mean strangers.
Lol. You’re joking.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol. You’re joking.

I'm really not. I don't like crowds for lots of reasons, among them being the "target rich environment" sought by mass killers. But there are other reasons.
So no, I don't go to new super popular movies. I wait a couple weeks, and avoid the crowds. It's never failed. We've neither been shot at, nor ever had to worry about getting seats together.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the newer theaters, there are many fewer seats, so it is never really crowded, even when full.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really not. I don't like crowds for lots of reasons, among them being the "target rich environment" sought by mass killers. But there are other reasons.
So no, I don't go to new super popular movies. I wait a couple weeks, and avoid the crowds. It's never failed. We've neither been shot at, nor ever had to worry about getting seats together.
In the history of crowded theaters, there's a vanishingly small percentage of people who've been shot at. I used to go to movies on opening weekend all the time. I never even heard an argument. Also never had trouble getting seats together.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer less crowded too. Less likely anyone try steal my seat. I always sit on very front row middle seat.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a movie theater in Charlotte that pretty much ruined me for life. They serve real food there - there is a little table that folds out of your seat, you press a button, a waiter comes over, you order from the menu, and it's pretty good food too. They have wine and cocktails too. It's awesome. And, somehow, they'd gotten the whole operation going so smoothly, it's not distracting at all. You would think all the waiters moving around with plates and such would divert from the movie - but it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions