Not open for further replies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMG_20180316_121643.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Problem is this is an iMac, sealed and I cannot physically get to the hard drive.
I was able to boot from the recovery drive this morning and so far it appears to be reinstalling the OS...but until it is finished I will not know for sure
If this fails I reboot from the external and see if I can attack the problem from there. If it sees the hard drive I can repartition and reformat the drive and then reinstall the OS

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
actually I think this Mac needs air and to be free, I think I will take it to the roof and see if it can fly. If it can't it should be OK, it is only a 15 story building
NOOOO! IF we are going to do this - let's do this properly. With a trebuchet!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
NOOOO! IF we are going to do this - let's do this properly. With a trebuchet!
well played. A catapult won't do.

It's been a few years since I've messed around with an iMAC, but I do recall replacing the HD in one, and it wasn't that difficult once I used a cutting torch to remove the back. :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well played. A catapult won't do.

It's been a few years since I've messed around with an iMAC, but I do recall replacing the HD in one, and it wasn't that difficult once I used a cutting torch to remove the back. :D
And we know where to find a trebuchet.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Also, say what you will about Microsoft, but they are by FAR, much more helpful to a technician trying to fix their stuff....Apple can be down right uncooperative and unhelpful

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This thing is giving me a headache.... I need to walk away for a bit....

There is no reason an error check can delete the hard drive on a virtually new Mac...and now that the hard drive has been found and has been deemed OK...there is no rason why it will not allow an install....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Graphic artists...not only voluntarily use a Mac... they demand it

and a trebuchet would be nice...but at this point I am thinking this

33486899-the-old-sledgehammer-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

would be much more satisfying

and bye bye iMac

retina-imac-bleed.jpg
Some do. Not like in the old days. Apple is still the tool of choice for many, but any more, it's a matter of preference and not one that is grounded in performance.

It's been kind of fun to see the shift from Apple to PC, particularly among younger designers. I think (although this is speculation) that the shift is less about bucking tradition and more because the younger designers also tend to be gamers, and the Mac is crap for gaming. The engine that makes a PC great for gaming also makes it a workhorse, particularly for video and audio editing.

Of course, some video editors still use Final Cut Pro, but Adobe Premier and AfterEffects have cut into that stranglehold significantly.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Graphic artists...not only voluntarily use a Mac... they demand it

and a trebuchet would be nice...but at this point I am thinking this

33486899-the-old-sledgehammer-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

would be much more satisfying

and bye bye iMac

retina-imac-bleed.jpg
Don't tell anyone... but I use Irfanview, GIMP, and PowerPoint to design all my book covers. Oh wait... I'm not a graphic artist! Yay! I get off scott free!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
My technology partners don't know how to construct process flows! They actually snake their flows all over the page to squeeze them into one page! They don't number process steps! They don't label their flows! The SACRILEGE!

giphy.gif

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Some do. Not like in the old days. Apple is still the tool of choice for many, but any more, it's a matter of preference and not one that is grounded in performance.

It's been kind of fun to see the shift from Apple to PC, particularly among younger designers. I think (although this is speculation) that the shift is less about bucking tradition and more because the younger designers also tend to be gamers, and the Mac is crap for gaming. The engine that makes a PC great for gaming also makes it a workhorse, particularly for video and audio editing.

Of course, some video editors still use Final Cut Pro, but Adobe Premier and AfterEffects have cut into that stranglehold significantly.

Adobe Creative Suite... however there is a PC version
Mac is big here for the Graphic folks and our video/advertising folks as well. The graphics are simply better for all the various colors they deal with...I am told.
I just get them bought for them when they need them, get the software they need and fix them when they get broken

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
By the way...its fixed...finally.

Had to boot to an external drive, locate the actual drive, erase the dang actual and then install....and after I went and made a bootable memory stick that would force the install too.... well....maybe next time...hopefully there is not a next time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions