Reaction score
Snow..

Snow1.JPG

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is what I think of snow.. Sometimes it's fun.

SnowSculpture.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In the South, those are what we see in the ditch the most, because people here don't know those don't make them invincible snow beasts, and drive like idiots. Used right, they're good tools (my '01 Tacoma TRD was), but most folks down here don't use them right.
And they're so light in the back, they don't get good traction. We don't get snow, but we get plenty of ice, and anyone driving a pick-em up in the Winter around here will have sand bags in the back just to keep them on the road.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Never had an trouble in the snow with that truck, or the full size blazer, or the S-10 Blazer or the Jeep CJ-5 or Jeep Cherokee. But then I know how to drive in the snow in a 4x4.
In the Big ole GMC 3/4ton 4x4 I had a good laugh one day in a blizzard. I was driving down the road to pick up my future ex-wife and the snow on the road was literally up to the hubs on that truck. As I was driving down the road a kid came up behind me in a little Toyota Corolla, and he was rather impatient...so he decided to pass me, and he did make it buy and he flew down the road...I lost site of him..... however I knew there was a bend in the road coming about a mile ahead that was pretty much a 90 degree turn. When I got to that bend in the road I saw the track of the car heading straight out into the farmers field.... I slowed down to make sure the guy was ok and he was outside of his car, walking around, trying to figure out how to get out of there. But since there was a house only 200 feet from him I figured he'd be ok, and I was already late picking up my future ex-wife, so I decided to keep on going.
Last time I've had to really drive in significant snow was in Germany in the late-80s/early 90s. I drove a rover mini... did great. But I know how to drive little go-karts. :D Seriously, though, it did okay, but in the late-80s in Germany, the car that really handled the snow well was the VW Golf. Buddy of mine had one of those, and it just pulled right up snowy inclines. Not sure what it's like now, but where I lived, there were very few trucks that weren't commercial.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the cars in Germany stayed smallish, although the golf is like 5 times bigger now than it was in the 80s.
the parking spaces are just not that big.

Although some have bought pickups by now.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Buka

Which storms are those. 2015, 1978 or 1969?

heck thats just a small little flurry for here in new england, if that had been 1978 you wouldnt see the windows on the first floor of the house. :)

The top one was 2015. The sculpture one was sometime in the seventies, I forget when.

But that 78 blizzard, that was something. I'm glad I experienced that storm. Massive snowfall and hurricane force winds, there were some great visuals.

What was most interesting was the week long driving ban. Everybody had to walk. People who lived on the same street, who had never said a word to each other, were talking to their neighbors, talking to everyone.....only to never say hi to each other again once driving was back.

And the drifts, oy.

Snowcrop.jpeg

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your getting lake effect out in Rochester.....and for the record......Dinosaurs roamed the earth with I was in college...you're not that old :) My February post sorry...is 17 years before 1999....and my first February in Upstate NY in the Adirondacks.... and my oldest is now in College in Rochester (U of R) as I type.
Well... maybe they were some more recent dinosaurs. :) U of R is awesome - I love how they have a separate library for every major department. RIT is great in terms of technology - very wired. But there is only one library - and that's just a little pitiful compared to U of R. At one point, I had a chance to stay until 3 am at U of R's main library - the one with the dome - I swear, there are ghosts there. Awesome place!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The top one was 2015. The sculpture one was sometime in the seventies, I forget when.

But that 78 blizzard, that was something. I'm glad I experienced that storm. Massive snowfall and hurricane force winds, there were some great visuals.

What was most interesting was the week long driving ban. Everybody had to walk. People who lived on the same street, who had never said a word to each other, were talking to their neighbors, talking to everyone.....only to never say hi to each other again once driving was back.

And the drifts, oy.

View attachment 21145

I remember 78 too. After it was over I went to meet a friend and as I standing on a snow bank waiting for him to arrive I saw 4 snowmobiles flying up the road. Apparently they could not see the place where the plows gave up and the snow was considerably deeper.... snowmobile #1 went right under like a high speed gopher, #2 did a sharp right and...well... also ended up buried...after a taking a bit of aerial off the much harder snow bank to the side...... #3 and #4 stopped and darn near fell of their snowmobiles laughing.

That is also the same day I walked right up the center of route 9 and there were no cars in site.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never had an trouble in the snow with that truck, or the full size blazer, or the S-10 Blazer or the Jeep CJ-5 or Jeep Cherokee. But then I know how to drive in the snow in a 4x4.
In the Big ole GMC 3/4ton 4x4 I had a good laugh one day in a blizzard. I was driving down the road to pick up my future ex-wife and the snow on the road was literally up to the hubs on that truck. As I was driving down the road a kid came up behind me in a little Toyota Corolla, and he was rather impatient...so he decided to pass me, and he did make it buy and he flew down the road...I lost site of him..... however I knew there was a bend in the road coming about a mile ahead that was pretty much a 90 degree turn. When I got to that bend in the road I saw the track of the car heading straight out into the farmers field.... I slowed down to make sure the guy was ok and he was outside of his car, walking around, trying to figure out how to get out of there. But since there was a house only 200 feet from him I figured he'd be ok, and I was already late picking up my future ex-wife, so I decided to keep on going.
As someone coming from an... um... not very automotive nation, I didn't get my driver's license until I was 23. And then I bought the cheapest car I could afford new - 1998 Plymouth Neon. Don't laugh. But that's pretty much what I drove through the remainder of my Rochester years. Miraculously, only had one accident - and yes, of course, it was weather-related.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well... maybe they were some more recent dinosaurs. :) U of R is awesome - I love how they have a separate library for every major department. RIT is great in terms of technology - very wired. But there is only one library - and that's just a little pitiful compared to U of R. At one point, I had a chance to stay until 3 am at U of R's main library - the one with the dome - I swear, there are ghosts there. Awesome place!

The oldest just told me the snowing finally stopped in Rochester.... it had been snowing for 2 days

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Defensive tip # 472

The best way to handle an adversary in the office is to smile....
then with a slight giggle ask them how their coffee tastes.:wideyed:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Big waves today. BIG.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, in the South, that scenario is usually reversed.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And they're so light in the back, they don't get good traction. We don't get snow, but we get plenty of ice, and anyone driving a pick-em up in the Winter around here will have sand bags in the back just to keep them on the road.
In most of the South, ice is more prevalent than snow. In fact, most snow comes with a complimentary sub-layer of ice. Here in western NC (and TN, northern GA), we get a bit less ice and a bit more snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions