Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
2 inches of snow today
Storm on the way for Monday night
Flurries on Wednesday
Snow showers Friday

Welcome to what winter use to be like in the Adirondacks

But you got snow plows!
The one sand truck driver in town turned the rig over during the last snow event!

yeah, and SNOW TIRES!!!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
But you got snow plows!
The one sand truck driver in town turned the rig over during the last snow event!

yeah, and SNOW TIRES!!!
When I first moved from Rochester, NY to Charlotte, NC, I remember when one of the first snows of the season was coming, and the mayor said on TV, "We are completely ready - our fleet of 13 snow plows is standing by." I laughed so hard I think I broke a rib. Our college campus at Rochester Institute of Technology had a fleet of 13 snow plows. University of Rochester had their own fleet. Both of them loaned their plows to community colleges. And the city had basically an equivalent of Alexander the Great's army toward the end of Persian campaign - in snow plows.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first moved from Rochester, NY to Charlotte, NC, I remember when one of the first snows of the season was coming, and the mayor said on TV, "We are completely ready - our fleet of 13 snow plows is standing by." I laughed so hard I think I broke a rib. Our college campus at Rochester Institute of Technology had a fleet of 13 snow plows. University of Rochester had their own fleet. Both of them loaned their plows to community colleges. And the city had basically an equivalent of Alexander the Great's army toward the end of Persian campaign - in snow plows.
It's still better than it was in SC growing up - all we had were trucks with plows on the front. No real plows to be found. When we had 18" of snow in 24 hours my senior year of high school, there was just nothing they could do about it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It's still better than it was in SC growing up - all we had were trucks with plows on the front. No real plows to be found. When we had 18" of snow in 24 hours my senior year of high school, there was just nothing they could do about it.

When I was in High School, in Massachusetts, we had all sorts of plows.....when the snow amounts reached 24 inches, during the blizzard that was not yet over, they stopped plowing and closed everything... after what was close to 40 inches of snow..... the storm was done....... You could see places where they stopped plowing...had several snow days in a row though.... that was fun

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm not sure we have any snow plows around here...

Day started off cold. It's a funny thing. Clear skies make about a 10F difference in the temperature outside. We're supposed to get some cloud cover back as the week goes on, and I expect that the temperature will warm up accordingly. It was in the 20s this morning as I left the house. Lots of frost and black ice on the roads. Usually in the 40s this time of year.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was in High School, in Massachusetts, we had all sorts of plows.....when the snow amounts reached 24 inches, during the blizzard that was not yet over, they stopped plowing and closed everything... after what was close to 40 inches of snow..... the storm was done....... You could see places where they stopped plowing...had several snow days in a row though.... that was fun
Ugh... Mass gets GNARLY snowfall. I've been to Boston in the winter once. I don't think I want to again - and that's despite the five-year tenure in Rochester, NY, where we have been known to run out of room to put snow.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That 18" of snow shut down our city for about a week - maybe 10 days. After the first 12" fell, they drove around and spread sand on top. It made a nice layered effect.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That 18" of snow shut down our city for about a week - maybe 10 days. After the first 12" fell, they drove around and spread sand on top. It made a nice layered effect.

When I moved to upstate NY the first February I was there it snowed the first week and by the time it was done there was 36 inches of snow on the ground.... the following week was a real big freezing rain storm. The last part of February into March we had 2 feet of snow on the ground with a 1 to 2 inch coating of ice on top..... of course there was the occasional snow shower so there was finally a few inches of snow on top of the ice....Welcome to winter in the Adirondacks....

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is funny.

Here in Louisiana....1 inch of snow shuts everything down. Everything closes and rides it out....of course that is only 1-2 days and then it’s back in the 50s.

Of course people treat it like a blizzard and buys all the stores out the day before.....lol.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is what a Louisiana shopper is like the day before an inch of snow forecast...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
snow.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I moved to upstate NY the first February I was there it snowed the first week and by the time it was done there was 36 inches of snow on the ground.... the following week was a real big freezing rain storm. The last part of February into March we had 2 feet of snow on the ground with a 1 to 2 inch coating of ice on top..... of course there was the occasional snow shower so there was finally a few inches of snow on top of the ice....Welcome to winter in the Adirondacks....
And you guys probably handled all of that much better than SC handled the great snow-sand parfait of 1988.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is funny.

Here in Louisiana....1 inch of snow shuts everything down. Everything closes and rides it out....of course that is only 1-2 days and then it’s back in the 50s.

Of course people treat it like a blizzard and buys all the stores out the day before.....lol.
I was in St. Augustine, FL a couple of days after Christmas some years ago, and it snowed about 1" the night before I left. People scraped every snowflake off their lawns to build little snowmen.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I handled it just fine...cause I had one of these at the time

IMG954291.jpg
In the South, those are what we see in the ditch the most, because people here don't know those don't make them invincible snow beasts, and drive like idiots. Used right, they're good tools (my '01 Tacoma TRD was), but most folks down here don't use them right.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Once upon a time, one Thursday during the first week of March 1999, when I was in my second year of the Masters program at RIT and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, it snowed 2"/hour for 12 hours in Rochester. With wind and cold. It was one of those rare situations, where the snowfall did not raise the temperature. So, they couldn't clear the highways - everything was re-freezing as soon as it melted. The highways were closed. Those of us who worked away from home had to find other ways to get home. There were horror stories about active coffee drinkers and smokers getting stuck in their cars for hours without coffee and cigarettes. Snowmobilers had a field day - they rode all over the area and rescued people from their cars. Friday after that Thursday was a beautiful clear sunny day, and people started to slowly digging things out. And then, on Saturday it happened AGAIN. Those who didn't finish clearing the snow from Thursday were punished by 6' tall snow drifts. It was insane.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Once upon a time, one Thursday during the first week of March 1999, when I was in my second year of the Masters program at RIT and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, it snowed 2"/hour for 12 hours in Rochester. With wind and cold. It was one of those rare situations, where the snowfall did not raise the temperature. So, they couldn't clear the highways - everything was re-freezing as soon as it melted. The highways were closed. Those of us who worked away from home had to find other ways to get home. There were horror stories about active coffee drinkers and smokers getting stuck in their cars for hours without coffee and cigarettes. Snowmobilers had a field day - they rode all over the area and rescued people from their cars. Friday after that Thursday was a beautiful clear sunny day, and people started to slowly digging things out. And then, on Saturday it happened AGAIN. Those who didn't finish clearing the snow from Thursday were punished by 6' tall snow drifts. It was insane.

Your getting lake effect out in Rochester.....and for the record......Dinosaurs roamed the earth with I was in college...you're not that old :) My February post sorry...is 17 years before 1999....and my first February in Upstate NY in the Adirondacks.... and my oldest is now in College in Rochester (U of R) as I type.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
In the South, those are what we see in the ditch the most, because people here don't know those don't make them invincible snow beasts, and drive like idiots. Used right, they're good tools (my '01 Tacoma TRD was), but most folks down here don't use them right.

Never had an trouble in the snow with that truck, or the full size blazer, or the S-10 Blazer or the Jeep CJ-5 or Jeep Cherokee. But then I know how to drive in the snow in a 4x4.
In the Big ole GMC 3/4ton 4x4 I had a good laugh one day in a blizzard. I was driving down the road to pick up my future ex-wife and the snow on the road was literally up to the hubs on that truck. As I was driving down the road a kid came up behind me in a little Toyota Corolla, and he was rather impatient...so he decided to pass me, and he did make it buy and he flew down the road...I lost site of him..... however I knew there was a bend in the road coming about a mile ahead that was pretty much a 90 degree turn. When I got to that bend in the road I saw the track of the car heading straight out into the farmers field.... I slowed down to make sure the guy was ok and he was outside of his car, walking around, trying to figure out how to get out of there. But since there was a house only 200 feet from him I figured he'd be ok, and I was already late picking up my future ex-wife, so I decided to keep on going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions