Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just so you know .....they SPOOF cell phone numbers these days so please please PLEASE I'm begging you STOP calling a number that shows up on your phone and asking why did you call me.... and when they say they didn't...do NOT argue with them...I am so sick and tired of folks calling my phone and wanting to know why I called them when I didn't. Tried explaining spoofing and technology to the last guy who still insisted that someone else must have gotten a hold of my phone.... that was on my desk...in front of me..... ALL DAMN DAY!!!!!!

Oh and if you do...do NOT call the person on the other side of the line DUDE...every other freaking word....

If the call was that important...they will call back

There... I feel better now

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
unless I know the number, I don't answer...
and sometimes knowing the number, I don't answer....

I think somebody is pranking you though

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unless I know the number, I don't answer...
and sometimes knowing the number, I don't answer....

No, I’ve had the same thing happen. Some offshore call centers and scammers break the telecom laws by spoofing the number so you can’t report them.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I never call anyone on the number that is getting call backs, other than family and schools the kids are in. Also it has been a few different folks calling me, it is not often. about 3 in the last 3 months. But the last one got to me.... he, by the way, was not the one using dude every other word, that guy was last month. This guy just kept looking for ways to be right about me calling him.... I hung up.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Everyone I care about is in my phone contacts. If a name doesn't come up I recognize, it's not someone I'm worried about.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've had a strange quirk from back in the seventies. I love when scam people call me, it's one of my favorite hobbies in all of life. It's like a shot of adrenaline. It's like going hunting. It's almost like a religious cause to me.

Happened four months ago. A boiler room in Worcester Massachusetts called me as I was boarding a plane in Oahu. The woman said she was a secretary "in a law firm". [like any secretary in the world would say that without actually naming the firm] Trying to get money I supposedly owed from a rental car I had getting hit while it was parked. I called back east, had the number traced, got the address - having just booked an October trip back to Mass a few days before. Waltzed in there three weeks ago, with a couple Feds I know. Good times. My guess is - they probably won't call me back.

Hey, we can't really help liking the things we like. Or the things we hate. For me, it's the phone thing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a strange quirk from back in the seventies. I love when scam people call me, it's one of my favorite hobbies in all of life. It's like a shot of adrenaline. It's like going hunting. It's almost like a religious cause to me.

Happened four months ago. A boiler room in Worcester Massachusetts called me as I was boarding a plane in Oahu. The woman said she was a secretary "in a law firm". [like any secretary in the world would say that without actually naming the firm] Trying to get money I supposedly owed from a rental car I had getting hit while it was parked. I called back east, had the number traced, got the address - having just booked an October trip back to Mass a few days before. Waltzed in there three weeks ago, with a couple Feds I know. Good times. My guess is - they probably won't call me back.

Hey, we can't really help liking the things we like. Or the things we hate. For me, it's the phone thing.
Brother, that sounds like more fun than a vacation.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Had a guy call my house claiming to be my IT security company..... well being IT, and in security, I found this interesting... after running him around, up and down and after a few Operating system changes.... I actually got the scammer to say this...."I'm going to hang up now"

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Friday we spent the day prank calling a fake IRS scammer call bank.

We call and give them a fake name and then screw with them when they would tell us if we don't send them fine money they are gonna arrest us.

The game is how long can we screw with them before they have that number disconnected.

A lot of fun.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

A year or so ago, I guess, I spent almost 2 hours on the phone as I did paperwork with a scammer. He'd called a little old lady, wanting her to get Apple ITunes cards, and give him the activation codes. She got stopped by the store staff, who smelled a rat... The guy called while I was talking to her. I told him to stop, and he called back in the next several minutes. So... when I got back to the station, I called him. And I kept him on the phone for hours, blatantly telling him that I was just keeping him on the phone. We discussed political theory, law, morality and religion... whatever I could come up with waiting to see how long he'd stay on the line. I outright told him that I could prove one thing -- while he talked to me, he wasn't scamming anyone else! Meanwhile, I took care of my paperwork...

EDIT: dug it up, corrected the time. My memory exaggerated a bit..

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know a way to install MS Office 365 (2016) without overwriting/upgrading a single-image installation of Office 2013? Not a very martial topic, but I'm currently feeling pretty martial about it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well,
No, I’ve had the same thing happen. Some offshore call centers and scammers break the telecom laws by spoofing the number so you can’t report them.
I had a call from myself one time.
Actually a couple of times.
that's very odd when you looked at the caller ID, and your name is up there....

I hear it is not difficult to spoof.
But I have no reason for it

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know a way to install MS Office 365 (2016) without overwriting/upgrading a single-image installation of Office 2013? Not a very martial topic, but I'm currently feeling pretty martial about it.
Xue!
when he isn't Shunning people over weather....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

It should give you the option to simply install O365 2016 and not touch 2013 at all. The issue will come with you later uninstall 2013, it will take out needed bits for 2016 to run as well as delete a few file associations. However running a repair on 2016 after the uninstall of 2013 should fix all the issues.

We were running 2010 and 2016 for a month or so before we removed 2010. There was an issue or two with a 2016 Cloud version install on a PC that 2016 full blown, but that needed the Microsoft office removal tool to clean out absolutely everything office. After that the install went fine

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@gpseymour

Just looked up running 2013 with 2016. Found this

Install and use different versions of Office on the same PC

apparently 2013 and 2016 do not get along.

Yeah, they are well known to be poor neighbors. I've had no trouble running 2010 and 2013, or 2010 and 2016. Someone suggested an approach that might work (specifying a separate folder for each "c:\program files (x86)\Office 2010" rather than letting them all go to their default locations). I've uninstalled all of them, and am in the process of reinstalling.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah, they are well known to be poor neighbors. I've had no trouble running 2010 and 2013, or 2010 and 2016. Someone suggested an approach that might work (specifying a separate folder for each "c:\program files (x86)\Office 2010" rather than letting them all go to their default locations). I've uninstalled all of them, and am in the process of reinstalling.

Why do you need to keep 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions