Not open for further replies.
OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so very sad you have to make do with such things while living in Hawaii.....
I notice you don't quite say just what about him living in Hawaii and eating lobster tails and beef makes you sad.

I suppose you might be feeling sorry for the poor lobsters and cattle...

Or perhaps for the Master of Xue Fu, who is not living in Hawaii, nor eating surf & turf...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a few good Chinese places around Toronto, but we were never at Congee King, have to look for that next time, my wife like congee, it is basically a rice porridge with other stuff in it
Yeah, which makes putting it on rice pretty silly. It looks like wallpaper paste to me, but I found it actually pretty tasty. Probably much tastier than wallpaper paste.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had duck for dinner tonight. Maria found one at the grocery store, and stuffed it with rice and apples (one of our favorite stuffings). Seasoned with salt, pepper, rosemary (my favorite herb), and onion. Duck fat saved aside for later flavoring, and made some giblet stock for later, too (probably going to make some French onion soup with that this week).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I notice you don't quite say just what about him living in Hawaii and eating lobster tails and beef makes you sad.

For starters, he specified it's Maine lobster. He's got perfectly good lobster right there in Hawaii without shipping them all the way from Maine...

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
For starters, he specified it's Maine lobster. He's got perfectly good lobster right there in Hawaii without shipping them all the way from Maine...
He's sad because they were shipped frozen rather than flying first class, with lots of tail room and a good movie.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's sad because they were shipped frozen rather than flying first class, with lots of tail room and a good movie.
That brings a story to mind. Obviously, this was pre 9/11.

A friend and fellow consultant had moved to northern Maine. He was flying down every week to work a project with another friend in North Carolina. One week, he brought two big lobsters - live - with him in styrofoam coolers. He had bought them right off the boat, they were taped water-tight, and he just stuck them in the overhead (with all his flying miles, he probably was flying First Class, but no movie for the lobsters). When the other guy tried to pay him for them, he refused. When the other guy insisted, because of the expense of two huge lobsters, he said, "You don't understand. I spent more on the coolers."

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, which makes putting it on rice pretty silly. It looks like wallpaper paste to me, but I found it actually pretty tasty. Probably much tastier than wallpaper paste.
wall paper paste - the old fashioned kind - actually was made from rice if I recall this right.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Used to be easier but Chinatown got gentrified...

Are they going to actually be in DC, or suburbs? Might maybe have some options, in the right 'burbs.

Chinatown got Americanized..... Last time I was there there were American restaurants with Chinese writing on them. And one of the "Chinese" restaurants" tried to make my wife believe the dish she ordered, that was made very wrong, was made that way in China.....It was in DC and it was a whirlwind trip, she is actually back home now

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mrs Xue us home and I tild her abot King Congee in Toronto.... and she said.... We have been there....then told me about it....and now... I remember it...it has congee and various dishes too.
That's a slightly disjointed post, Xue. Did she also fix you a few drinks?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's a slightly disjointed post, Xue. Did she also fix you a few drinks?

Nope, been a rough day....youngest is sick, my mother is sick, I was not feeling well this morning either, Mrs Xue was in DC, lawn tractor broke and I had to use the push mower to finish and it was 88F in September, and then I was told my mother's furnace is not working.... actually I could use a few drinks.....wish I had some hard cider....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, been a rough day....youngest is sick, my mother is sick, I was not feeling well this morning either, Mrs Xue was in DC, lawn tractor broke and I had to use the push mower to finish and it was 88F in September, and then I was told my mother's furnace is not working.... actually I could use a few drinks.....wish I had some hard cider....
I have several in the small fridge. I'll email you some, my friend.

Get feeling better.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

True. But DD was right, we have plenty here.
Lobster.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Was talking to my buddy from back east. He's been running the same dojo since 76. He currently has a hundred active adults, and three hundred active children students. Three fricken' hundred. Can you even imagine? That's just nuts.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was talking to my buddy from back east. He's been running the same dojo since 76. He currently has a hundred active adults, and three hundred active children students. Three fricken' hundred. Can you even imagine? That's just nuts.
That is nuts, man. I'd be happy to have the hundred adults, but everything I've heard from folks running schools tells me that you need those kids to get those adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions