Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In 1989, Hugo hit SC. I lived in Spartanburg, SC back then. I went to bed hearing about Hugo in the lowcountry areas around Charleston, SC. I woke up hearing about Hugo in Charlotte, NC. For about a decade, you could see the damage in the treeline along I-26 in SC.

This one is making moves to put ole Opal to shame.
And we still have a chance of an 'O' repeat....this is only September.....

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
sheesh....
in 1995 Hurricane Opal tracked her happy butt halfway up Alabama before downgrading to a tropical storm near my neighborhood, near I 20....I heard that folks in Gatlinburg Tennessee had a rough time....fallen trees and such.
And that storm wasn't even as big as what is brewing now!

And we get Winter, too! At least two weeks, every year!
We don't get an end to severe weather season though, it seems.
Hurricane season bleeds into fall tornado season, which leads into Winter, which leads into Spring Tornanado season, which bleeds into Hurricane season, maybe with a little drought thrown in...but not this year, we had more like Tornado monsoon season.....

Just wanted to say that I love Gatlinburg Tennessee. Big time.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds nice, Steve. I'd need a bit more snow. I like one or two good snowfalls a year (about what we get here). I don't want what the folks in New York or some of our other snowier states deal with, but I do like having a nice blanket of snow around me from time to time.

Oh, me, too.

Snow5.jpeg

Snow1.JPG

SnowSculpture.jpg

Attachments

• Snow1.JPG
    Snow1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • Snow5.jpeg
    Snow5.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Snow1.JPG
    Snow1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
  • SnowSculpture.jpg
    SnowSculpture.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 55

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
No luck finding another artist for it?

With everything else going on, I don't have the time to take on a search like that. I was very lucky in that Johnny was so passionate about the story that he was willing to work on it FOR FREE. I doubt lightning could strike twice like that.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Whew, busy weekend. Boy turned 8 and had some buddies over for a sleepover.....all they talked about were their wieners....sigh. Then family get together yesterday. I need some days to recover.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was busy this morning, and life just kept going irrespective of the date. During a pause in the activity, I was drawn back into the eerie moment when I saw what was happening on the TV 16 years ago. It was a surreal moment and that feeling seemed to last days, and feels that way whenever I remember it - though more distant - today.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was living in Denver, working a temp job in a state office. A woman came in and said a plane just flew into the World Trade Center. A short while later, the OTHER plane hit. They closed all state offices. I remembered that I had to pass the state capital building on the way back to my apartment, so I tore a$$ past it lest there should be plans to attack every capital building in the country.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Later on, I remember going down to the 16th Street Mall. There was a guy with a hot dog stand on one corner who had a radio, and the handful of people who were still on the street had stopped and were gathered around him to listen to the news. It was so bizarre and sad and frightening, but at the same time it was comforting to me to see all these people from all walks of life gathered around with me, all of us concerned about the same thing, bonded by it. All I could think was, "It's too bad we weren't brought together by something more positive, but hey...at least this shows the POTENTIAL is there."

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I worked for the state in a different office, and was new in IT then. People in my office were upset with me because they could not get any info on their PCs, not realizing the amount of traffic that was currently out there trying to get info. They rolled TVs into my office just in time to watch the 2nd plane hit the tower.

I had just left state security and felt mighty useless because not being security any longer I was no longer essential and then they closed all state offices and sent us home, asked if I could help and was told I was no longer security and I had to leave. I was the last to leave my office and it was a bit surreal, there was no one in Albany, no people, no cars and no planes flying over. I was the only person on the bus going to my parking lot and the only car I saw on the road was one that was broken down on the side of the road. I was also the only car in the lot when I arrived. All the way home (40 miles) on the NYS thruway I saw maybe half a dozen cars and the majority of those were state police.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was this close to being on flight American Eleven that morning. Still makes me crazy. Still drives me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.