Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's my problem too. Just laid back in general. I'm not sure why I can't learn to flip the switch, because I DO have a temper. Just never be able to seem to flip it when I need to.

You don't flip a switch. You professionally do the job.

It is not nice. Sometimes it is necessary.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't decide if that's a pic of the water, or the cast. One of them looks more relaxing than the other.

Bit of both. Always look for a good background.
IMG_20170721_140902.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You phrase it your way; I phrase it mine. :)
DB is making an important distinction, IMO. I don't suddenly become agressive. I do what is necessary, and that sometimes includes some aggression. It's not like I've flipped a switch. It's very much like he describes it. I've not described it that way before, but it's apt, and something to think about.

Perhaps that distinction is something you and I both need to be aware of - me in my instructing, and you in your self-assessment.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slow time in class today. Revising my approach to a couple of techniques.

Who knew curriculum changes were so damned hard? And why didn't they tell me?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
DB is making an important distinction, IMO. I don't suddenly become agressive. I do what is necessary, and that sometimes includes some aggression. It's not like I've flipped a switch. It's very much like he describes it. I've not described it that way before, but it's apt, and something to think about.

Perhaps that distinction is something you and I both need to be aware of - me in my instructing, and you in your self-assessment.

I basically got paid to fight people though. Rather than fought people for some emotional requirement.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
So center judge for my son's fighting division today was one of the fighters he looks up to. He was super excited to get to fight in front of him.

Now just resting for the finals tonight.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So center judge for my son's fighting division today was one of the fighters he looks up to. He was super excited to get to fight in front of him.

Now just resting for the finals tonight.

Did your kid get a photo with him?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Martial Arts. Ain't they just the balls?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
ive been doing an indepth study of seisan kata for 15 years now, almost exclusively. looking at the founders of the style, doing style comparatives, searching thru the history books and cross cultures and studying applications from multiple generations. and just when i think i got it worked out and im ready to move on to another kata. some historical fact arises and i look into it and i have to re-adjust my performance again.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive been doing an indepth study of seisan kata for 15 years now, almost exclusively. looking at the founders of the style, doing style comparatives, searching thru the history books and cross cultures and studying applications from multiple generations. and just when i think i got it worked out and im ready to move on to another kata. some historical fact arises and i look into it and i have to re-adjust my performance again.
That actually sounds like fun (if that's the right word - perhaps "satisfying" is better). Not my kind of pursuit, but one I'd find really interesting to hear about over a beer or dinner - I'm sure there have been a lot of "discoveries" along the way that made it worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.