Laser Eye Surgery Horror Story.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
It's just as well. They'd rob you blind.

I'd like to get this done, but stories like Kaith's stop me. I've sat there chatting with him in person and watched him go through eye-drops as though they were addictive. (I'm glad it's improving!) I am not ready to take the risk.

Honestly, I've been hit in the glasses at times when I would otherwise have been poked in the eye--there are some benefits.

I've thought the same thing; it would be nice, but why take the risk? After hearing about Bob's case, I definitely will not have it done anytime in the near future. Perhaps when they get to the point where nanotechnology can repair surgeon's mistakes...

I had my glasses shattered by a flying piece of rock while mowing the lawn years ago. Without the glasses to protect me, I might have lost an eye.

Hope you one day have a complete recovery, Bob - and you are right, the laser places cover their butts pretty well.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Bob, How old were you when you had the surgery done? I was under the impression that the older you were, the higher the risk. Is this true?

My sister in law had the surgery done... she contracted an infection but luckily being a nurse practitioner she caught it early herself and was diligent about eye drops and antibiotics and saved herself a lot of pain and discomfort.

Me, I am lucky.. still have 20/20 vision :D It is a little blurry in the morning but that is often due to not having coffee yet ;)
I was 31, in good health.
Was assured that a few days recovery was all I'd need.

I think they were ah, slightly off.....

Phenix_Rider

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've thought about this off and on myself. Been trying to find long term results. How are the eyes?

From what I've been reading, side effects are much, much less likely any more.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Found out during an eye exam 2 years ago that I shouldn't have had it done, that a lot of the side effects I've had were the result of bad post op, and I've been back in glasses since then. Still using eye drops regularly, night visions still worse than before the surgery.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow....

Got an email with your reply and realized I've been away from MartialTalk too long. It is time for me to return.

About a year and a half ago (Summer of 2009), I decided to opt for eye surgery. My husband had LASIK a year before mine and it went successfully. That gave me the courage to look into this. I decided to go get my eyes evaluated by the same surgeon.

He told me that LASIK wasn't a good option for me, but PRK would be better. It was because of two reasons: 1) my martial arts activity and 2) I have thinner corneas. Doing more research into PRK, I agreed with him.

While the recovery from PRK is generally longer than with LASIK, the results typically will end up similar (better vision).

The first three months after surgery for me was rough (in terms of requiring patience while waiting for vision to clear up), it was definitely worth it. Almost a year and a half later today, I've nearly forgotten what it was like to wear glasses. I still do remember how I had trouble reading some things even with glasses and now I can without glasses. Even now, I sometimes marvel with the clarity the mountains look--even better than with contacts prior to surgery.

I kicked myself in the butt for not considering surgery earlier, but then again, fears and concerns about the surgery are very real. These are my only pair of eyes, and beig deaf, my "only" means of life survival for me. So many "what ifs" about the surgery... The worry can be nearly crippling...

Watching my husband going under the laser first and he seeing clearly almost immediately was amazing. That gave me courage after he recovered after two weeks with no problems himself. I could see the surgeon choice was a good one. He made it clear to me not to expect immediate results from PRK the same way LASIK would, and that fluctuations would be common the first several weeks (three months) before becoming permanently clear. I was so glad he warned me. Even then knowing this in advance, the fluctuations were frustrating for me anyway and I felt plagued with doubts (those "what if" thoughts).

No regrets. I can now read flash cards easily for my martial arts tests. I am able to hit harder and take hits harder (maybe it's a confidence thing and being able to see my partners better).

Was it worth it? For me, a big YES.

Ceicei