Laos and Cambodia?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are there in fact martial arts native to Laos and Cambodia? I know that the current Vietnamese arts are largely based on modern Chinese and Japanese arts and that many Indochinese and Indonesian and Filipino systems are heavily influenced by kung fu (the "kuntao" systems)--as is karate of course. But I don't believe I have ever heard reference to a Laotian or Kampuchean native system. I imagine they exist.

T

thaiboxer

i read recently the cambodians kicking up a stink saying that muay thai was their art and that the thais learnt it from them

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by thaiboxer
i read recently the cambodians kicking up a stink saying that muay thai was their art and that the thais learnt it from them

I hadn't heard that! I wonder if kickboxing is as popular there as it is in Thailand?

T

thaiboxer

Originally posted by arnisador

I hadn't heard that! I wonder if kickboxing is as popular there as it is in Thailand?
yeah dont know too much else sorry, just read that statement basically, apparently they have a similar system, or whether the other claimed it from wherever who knows.

T

thaiboxer

Do you know the name of the Cambodian system?

Perhaps this is the article to which you refer:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/star/2001/0607/sp28-1.html

See also:
http://www.khmer.cc/community/t.c?b=11&t=78
They suggest possible names:
badai serei
Khmer kickboxing

Its a hard call really i think. whos to say the other is right or wrong?
The real facts are probably that they are a closely related peoples, probably migrated from china initially (i dont know the history of the cambodians by the way im assuming here its the same as the thais) and had those ways of fighting from the very beginning, which were probably similar, same as the burmese are similar.
I just think the thais probably have marketed themselves better over the years, perhaps they have put more effort into developing their particular style of kickboxing moreso than the others and this is why it is becoming so popular and marketable now?
Its just strange that the art could dissapear altogether in cambodia and forgotten about by so many. They are blaming the war in recent history(khmer rouge regime) for their arts demise, but if the art was so deeply rooted within their society and a national pasttime, why would it be lost, there would still be a strong underground presence in my opinion(just as the thais have, its a strength in their country). So hence my hesitance to believe the cambodians and their story that it was their art first. perhaps they did something similar, but to make big claims like that. Having etchings on a stone wall doesnt prove anything really. It proves they may have fought using some sort of kickboxing, but it doesnt prove they taught it to the thais, or the thais stole it from them.
Also its hard when the thais old archives were destroyed as well to say where muay thai originally came from, or how it was practised thousands of years ago, when they migrated down to siam.
All i know is, is that muay thai causes some serious damage when required too, whether its the same as its neighbouring countries arts is irrelevant really, just so long as im learning it.
But it would be interesting to see the intricacies of bando and the cambodians style, thats for sure. Really its all a bit too late to say muay thai isnt really thai now isnt it.
thanks for the links, they were similar to what ive read.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with you--it's hard to believe that it could have been so completely lost in Cambodia, and etchings are scant proof; but as close as the countries are it's easy to believe that there has been some cross-fertilization.

Are there any other Cambodian systems I wonder, or Laotian?

T

thaiboxer

I agree with you--it's hard to believe that it could have been so completely lost in Cambodia, and etchings are scant proof; but as close as the countries are it's easy to believe that there has been some cross-fertilization.

Are there any other Cambodian systems I wonder, or Laotian?

mate i dont know unfortunately, im sorry im not much help here, itd be interesting though. id really like to see some full on krabi krabong. im saving up to go to thailand later this year hopefully, so i hope to train over there and perhaps learn some really traditional stuff.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by thaiboxer

id really like to see some full on krabi krabong. im saving up to go to thailand later this year hopefully

That sounds great! I suppose you're starting closer to Thailand than those of us in America are.

There has been some discussion of Krabi Kabong here:
http://www.martialtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=534

Other links:
http://muaythai.freeservers.com/vidclips.htm
http://www.thailife.de/tl_culture/thai-sportarten/krabi-krabong.htm
http://142.58.12.77:8080/FMA/Features/KKsticks/
http://www.francisfongacademy.com/Images/SEC 4_01/guru dan/danseminar.html
http://www.grandmaster.cc/history/MuayThai.php3
http://www.jkdberlin.de/seminars/seminars.htm (Search for Kabong)

T

thaiboxer

cheers. yeah a little closer to thailand than you guys. Ill check these out now.
:asian:

K

KickingDago

i don't have alot of informations on the following styles, but i came across these names while searching some sites:

LAOS:

Jeet Ki Do
Muay Lailao
Sha-Fut-Fan:
Vo Lag Hong Dao
We Dao Kan

KAMPUCHEA:

Badai Sarai
Brodal Borann Khmer
Kun Dambang

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks! Badai Sarai is the only one that looks familiar (as badai serei). I'll try to turn up some web sites about these.

H

Hu Ren Qianzai Long

I Found some information on laotian martial arts here . Note: The text is kind of weird because it was translated from French.:asian:

H

Hu Ren Qianzai Long

Badai serei means Freestyle Fighting in Khmer and is (I think) The traditional martial art of Cambodia
:asian:

K

KickingDago

Originally posted by Hu Ren Qianzai Long

I Found some information on laotian martial arts here . Note: The text is kind of weird because it was translated from French.:asian:

My friend you are the man, I did came across that site time ago and it was taking me forever to translate it from french to english.
thank you

H

Hu Ren Qianzai Long

No problem, Kickingdago
Maybe Laotian and Cambodian Martial arts Derived from other Indochinese or Chinese Martial Arts. Because, at the laotian link I Just Gave you, They Mentioned Something About Schools, Jeet-Ki-Do, and Vo Lag Hong Dao (Note: That text was REALLY screwed up :soapbox: :eek: :confused: ) Anyways, I'll do some more research on that.

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
(Message above truncated...)I have an upcoming book on the older bare knuckle fighting arts of the region entitled, The Vanishing Flame: The Bare Knuckle Fighting Arts of India, Cambodia, Burma, Thailand and Laos.Many of the surrounding countries in the region had indigenous military/combative systems both armed and unarmed that bled down into martial sports such as weapons fighting, wrestling and bare knuckle fighting, etc. Some of the lineages were lost in Cambodia due to war and turmoil specifically Pol Pots attempt to destroy the country's past. Many older masters still remain there luckily and they are attempting to propogate their arts into the future. I have a forthcoming article in Black Belt entitled Khmer Kickboxing: Fighting For Survival on the current state of the ring sport and the controversies with their history.Laos has much martial diversity which survives including sword fighting, ring sport, bare knuckle fighting. It seems the wrestling died away or is still practiced in small unknown pockets.Anyone interested in the book can email me at [email protected] and I will add you to my email newsletter list which will keep you updated on current projects including the upcoming International Burmese Lethwae tournament in Yangon and new articles.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please do post here when the book is ready.

I don't think I know any Laotian arts.

S

sweeper

hmm.. mauy thai became very popular as a sport in thailand it has been incredably popular for a long time, I could see arts fading away without that popular intrest.

Latest Discussions