Kyuki-do

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Perhaps.... I've been to quite a few of their tourneys, but not recently. If you're going to one soon, let me know so I can get to meet you some day.

- Ceicei
I apologize for the very delayed reply Ceicei, however my time has been very limited lately so its hard to find time to post here at MT.
I more than likely will be competing again in their annual Royal West Martial Arts Tournament, Which will be around April. Its held in Pleasant Grove (in the high school gym)
I know that it is still quite some time from now, but if you want to meet me or see me compete, then would be the time to do so.
Tell me what your thoughts are on that.

- Hwoarang_tkd26

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hwoarang_tkd26 said:
I apologize for the very delayed reply Ceicei, however my time has been very limited lately so its hard to find time to post here at MT.
I more than likely will be competing again in their annual Royal West Martial Arts Tournament, Which will be around April. Its held in Pleasant Grove (in the high school gym)
I know that it is still quite some time from now, but if you want to meet me or see me compete, then would be the time to do so.
Tell me what your thoughts are on that.

- Hwoarang_tkd26
Sounds good to me. Hope to see you then!

- Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
akfathens said:
I haven't had the opportunity to ask about whether a black belt in TKD would satisfy the Master's requirement yet, but I will be going back to Wisconsin and Illinois this weekend for the Federation Christmas Party… I should get a chance to ask Master Holden then. If not, he'll be coming down to Georgia to run a Judo test for us the following weekend, so I'll definitely get an opportunity to ask then.
I hope you enjoyed your Christmas! How did that party go and how did the Judo testing turn out for your students?

- Ceicei

A

akfathens

Hi Ceicei,

Happy Holdidays! The Christmas party was excellent (one of my students was awarded "Distinguished Assistant Instructor," which was great). The Judo test also went quite well. I promoted to Sankyu, and I had several other students promote as well. Master Holden was pleased, and my students were very excited (promotion in Judo happens very infrequently at my school).

I completely forgot to ask Master Holden about whether a bb in TKD would satisfy our master's rank requirements for additional training, but I'm on my way out to dinner with him in half an hour, and I'm writing myself a reminder now.

More later,

Ken

A

akfathens

CeiCei,

Sorry that it's taken so long for me to get an answer to you regarding whether a TKD black belt would satisfy the "black belt rank in another art" requirement for master's promotion in Kyuki-Do.

I spoke with my instructor and he said that it would not. The impression that I received was that the final decision on what satisfied the requirement would be handled on a case-by-case basis to a certain extent.

In any case, Judo, Jujitsu and Hapkido definitely seem to be the most prevalent "additional black belts" in our federation.

Hope all is well with everyone; please let me know if you have more questions regarding Kyuki-Do.

Best to all,

Ken

Greg King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi y'all.this is my first post and thought i would let all interested in kyuki do to come to the next tournament at Burlington Central Highschool in Burlington Illinois on March 12th.tickets are available at the door.also my whole family goes to GrandMaster Kim's school in elgin Illinois .my son is learning his bo form called Man Nam ,my wife and i just had our first belt test (don't know how we did and i'm not supposed to ask).You can find us at the school almost any day of the week .my son has us there for a host of classes ,judo, kick boxing ,kyuki do,and also teaches at his local park district.All i can say is we are having a blast doing this .its a fun art and the school is very family oriented.:) :supcool:

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure you did just fine on the test. I've been told (when I first started), that belt testing is more of a celebration- you've already been tested. Wish you luck anyways on the test and the tournament both. Sounds like your family has fun!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greg King said:
Hi y'all.this is my first post and thought i would let all interested in kyuki do to come to the next tournament at Burlington Central Highschool in Burlington Illinois on March 12th.tickets are available at the door.also my whole family goes to GrandMaster Kim's school in elgin Illinois .my son is learning his bo form called Man Nam ,my wife and i just had our first belt test (don't know how we did and i'm not supposed to ask).You can find us at the school almost any day of the week .my son has us there for a host of classes ,judo, kick boxing ,kyuki do,and also teaches at his local park district.All i can say is we are having a blast doing this .its a fun art and the school is very family oriented.:) :supcool:

Congrats Greg!

I spent a lot of time w/ a group that had their start w/ GM Kim (I grew up in So. Elgin:) ). I know a lot of people who have trained under GM Kim. I've seen A LOT of martial artists in my 24 year career. GM Kim & his students are the real deal. Stick with them!

OP
Ash_MT

Ash_MT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Greg King said:

GrandMaster Park is also having a tournament in Billings, MT March 25th if anyone around here is interested.

I find it interesting you had your belt test but don't know how you did, we get our belts the same night as our test.

Greg King

Green Belt
Reaction score
i think its a test of patience.usually get our belts about a week to two weeks later after the Black Belts have their meetings to discuss how each student faired:)

OP
Ash_MT

Ash_MT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
huh, I would have thought it would be a standardized thing within the federation, guess not though! hehe. Though I'm betting you guys have a lot more black belts in one area that do the judging where we have black belts come from surrounding cities/states to help with the tests.

Greg King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes we do .there are alot of Kyuki-Do schools in the area and The one we attend i'm told is the headquarters of Kyuki-Do and GrandMaster Ok Hyung Kim the founder who brought the art over from Korea in 1968 still teaches at the school.Most of the local park districts and YMCA's are associated with Kim's Blackbelt Academy,not to mention schools that people have opened independently in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin .Just go to Kyuki-Do.com and there is a list of schools, but it does not list the ones run by the village or park districts .and i can tell you this ,the programs are always full:)

OP
Ash_MT

Ash_MT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That's cool. Grandmaster Kim came up here for a judo/juijitsu/hapkido seminar last summer but unfortunately didn't do any demonstrating, he did give us a talk though which was nice. I'm pretty sure he's coming up for Grandmaster Parks tournament again, but unfortunately I won't be able to make that this year.

Greg King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thats too bad that he didn't do any demonstrations ,i'm sure you will see him do his thing if you're around long enough.He does have some great stories about his training in Korea(scary stories)also:)

Red Dragon Kyukido

White Belt
Reaction score
I was browsing Google and found this, so I thought I'd sign up and say hi.

I run A Kyukido Dojang here in Pensacola Florida. My main instructor is Wayne Hull in Salt Lake City Utah.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad this thread got bumped up. Looks like a fascinating style. My wife would be especially interested.

Jeff

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was browsing Google and found this, so I thought I'd sign up and say hi.

I run A Kyukido Dojang here in Pensacola Florida. My main instructor is Wayne Hull in Salt Lake City Utah.

Red Dragon,

Welcome to MartialTalk! :wavey: It is a pleasure having you with us. I used to train briefly with the Royal West dojang down in Lindon, Utah. They primarily do Kyuki-do, although my purpose with them was to learn Judo. It is good to see some more Kyuki-do martial artists!

- Ceicei

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry, meant to say welcome to the board in my previous post Red Dragon. Just got really interested in the thread!

Jeff