Kyokushin or muay thai

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Champset.

You can't go wrong with either. Depends on what fits with who you are, and what you're trying to accomplish. If you love the boxing you're doing, think of what you would like to do in addition to it. Sit in and watch classes in the schools available to you, watch a bunch of them, see what you think you would enjoy or benefit from. You should have already done that, but if you haven't....go, bro, go check them out.

The closer the dojo to your living/school/work arrangements, the better it will be for you. Honest. Watch a bunch of classes that are close to you

Keep us posted.

OP
C

Champset champset

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Champset.

You can't go wrong with either. Depends on what fits with who you are, and what you're trying to accomplish. If you love the boxing you're doing, think of what you would like to do in addition to it. Sit in and watch classes in the schools available to you, watch a bunch of them, see what you think you would enjoy or benefit from. You should have already done that, but if you haven't....go, bro, go check them out.

The closer the dojo to your living/school/work arrangements, the better it will be for you. Honest. Watch a bunch of classes that are close to you

Keep us posted.
Thanks for the reply, the kyokushin is 1 hour away in car and muay thai gym is 25 minutes away. But the kyokushin said that i can cross train in both.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, the kyokushin is 1 hour away in car and muay thai gym is 25 minutes away. But the kyokushin said that i can cross train in both. This is the kyokushins dojo insta EliteMartialArtsRichmond (@elitemartialartsrichmond) • Instagram photos and videos

I strongly recommend the Muay Thai gym. Not because of style comparisons, but closeness. Life is a strange thing, it can get in the way of training just by it's complications.

Go close to you. Go train your ash off. Learn more about boxing and how it blends with what you're trying to study next.

Keep your hands up and your chin down, bro.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, the kyokushin is 1 hour away in car and muay thai gym is 25 minutes away. But the kyokushin said that i can cross train in both.
I don't know the folks at the Kyokushin dojo personally but I've seen the videos they have produced and they seem to be working on the latest techniques and strategies employed in Knockdown. The striking is practical and effective.

Buka has a point about joining a gym/dojo that is close to home or work. The less travel time you have to get to training the more likely to go as often as possible. Check them both out and see what suits you best though. Good luck.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Muay Thai would be the safer bet.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi, should i take up kyokushin or muay thai for mma and i am already doing boxing.
Whatever works for you.
Although if you want to go into mma I would recommend taking up a grappling style since you're doing boxing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you’re already training boxing, I recommend you do neither, and focus on wrestling or BJJ. Or play call of duty. That seems to work well for Demetrius Johnson.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you want to do Mma then you need to learn grappling. If you just want to learn and train and workout then either is fine

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you’re already training boxing, I recommend you do neither, and focus on wrestling or BJJ. Or play call of duty. That seems to work well for Demetrius Johnson.

And Mark hunt. Just don't call him names

Latest Discussions