Kung Fu vs MMA

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yet you still take time out to comment. seems a bit strange
Not at all actually I see the title have a look to see if it's a proper discussion, find out it's nothing but another video so I comment my opinion which takes up about 30 seconds of my time which I'm not doing anything anyway which is why I'm on here at the time

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not at all actually I see the title have a look to see if it's a proper discussion, find out it's nothing but another video so I comment my opinion which takes up about 30 seconds of my time which I'm not doing anything anyway which is why I'm on here at the time

You were the first person to post. You were the discussion.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually no I wasn't

Sorry second response.

If someone finds a topic boring they just dont respond. Not jump on every thread they don't like. Just to say how much they dont like it.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry second response.

If someone finds a topic boring they just dont respond. Not jump on every thread they don't like. Just to say how much they dont like it.
And why are you singling me out for this loads of people have said it multiple times not just me

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I didn't watch the OP video until just now. Clicked on it and went ahead to about the half way point (as gpseymour pointed out, nothing happens until half way in.)

So, I'm watching for a bit, and I'm not sure which guy is the MMA guy and which guy is the Kung Fu guy. So I rewind and find out.
Got me to thinking - maybe we all look that same way when we fight. Not anything, or not much, being reflective of what our particular styles are known for (be that right or wrong) but just looking like we're in a fight.

Gives me something to think about on this Monday of my work week.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't watch the OP video until just now. Clicked on it and went ahead to about the half way point (as gpseymour pointed out, nothing happens until half way in.)

So, I'm watching for a bit, and I'm not sure which guy is the MMA guy and which guy is the Kung Fu guy. So I rewind and find out.
Got me to thinking - maybe we all look that same way when we fight. Not anything, or not much, being reflective of what our particular styles are known for (be that right or wrong) but just looking like we're in a fight.

I've been saying this for a long time. People think Kung fu has a bunch of stylized techniques and stuff. It's a training methodology. Fighting doesn't look like that. Fighting is ugly, it all looks kind of th same.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been saying this for a long time. People think Kung fu has a bunch of stylized techniques and stuff. It's a training methodology. Fighting doesn't look like that. Fighting is ugly, it all looks kind of th same.
Agreed that's why all this style vs style thing is nonsense. A punch is a punch, a kick is a kick and a takedown is a takedown doesn't matter what you call it

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

or they respond trying to prod someone into actually posting something interesting rather than generic 'ooo if you don't train alive you aren't doing real martial arts', I always think it's more interesting to train against the dead, zombies don't bore you with small talk while you're sparring.
Really, can't we have something really interesting? Hint..not a style v style, not an MMA beats everything thread, not an Aikido doesn't work one. No, I don't have time at the moment, I have a Guide camp and a Brownie pack holiday to go on, the girls are extremely sad at the moment, one of those killed in Manchester was a Brownie, one of our 'ten million sisters'. So for goodness sake find something bloody interesting to post.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed that's why all this style vs style thing is nonsense. A punch is a punch, a kick is a kick and a takedown is a takedown doesn't matter what you call it
Yeah. The real difference is in the methodology of how you develop that punch and kick and takedown. Some body mechanics, and how they are developed, might be done a bit differently. What people think is "stylized" is often just an exaggeration, done to emphasize a body mechanic.

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a wide variety of what real fighting looks like. Inside and outside of competition.

I am not saying all martial arts are for fighting, or that all martial artist should fight. What I am saying is that if a given sifu or sensei sells there brand as a combat art, it should involve some combat training and sparring. If it doesn't you are being sold snake oil.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
or they respond trying to prod someone into actually posting something interesting rather than generic 'ooo if you don't train alive you aren't doing real martial arts', I always think it's more interesting to train against the dead, zombies don't bore you with small talk while you're sparring.
Really, can't we have something really interesting? Hint..not a style v style, not an MMA beats everything thread, not an Aikido doesn't work one. No, I don't have time at the moment, I have a Guide camp and a Brownie pack holiday to go on, the girls are extremely sad at the moment, one of those killed in Manchester was a Brownie, one of our 'ten million sisters'. So for goodness sake find something bloody interesting to post.

There is nothing stopping you from starting interesting threads.

I am not sure why you are making the creation of threads you find interesting the sole job of othet people. Seems pretty selfish.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

That was a pretty ugly fight by any standards though

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I keep telling people this when they say I am not a kung fu instructor. It is all the same. So long as I am doing some sort of punch or kick that is all that really matters.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

no no no...EVERYBODY knows that ALL Kung Fu (Wushu) fights look like this

:D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't agree that it all looks the same. We analyze footage of fights all the time, and can identify all sorts of things that reflect how people are trained.

Takes you guys seconds to dissect good technique vs bad, and I can't count how many times CMA guys have written off fight footage because you can clearly see that the guys aren't well trained in their styles.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that @JowGaWolf 's fighting will look like Jow Ga. I've read enough about how he trains to believe that. But I also think he'd learn a lot about his training and skill level if he competed outside of his style.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fighting doesn't look like that. Fighting is ugly, it all looks kind of th same.
Fighting doesn't look all the same to me. Not even just a little. No one can look at how I fight and say that I look like karate, wing chun, boxing, ninjitsu, tkd, or any other system that is not a part of Jow Ga or similar to Jow Ga.

Latest Discussions