Kung Fu vs MMA

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to another conversations we had about a,similar topic, don't worry it will come back to you as we roll put the same points

it matters some times, if i kick someone in the knee they are going over,they can resist all they like, they are still going over, that not a ma kick, its,a centre half's kick. If they resist by moving, then then they are,standing to the next one or the one after gets them, but they,are going down. Resistance is,futile,as they say
If you kick them in the knee, yes. Someone resisting is harder to kick in the knee. So it makes a difference. If they move, it takes you longer. If they move and fight back, you might have to change tactics. If they move and fight back competently, it's a whole different story.

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
to another conversations we had about a,similar topic, don't worry it will come back to you as we roll put the same points

it matters some times, if i kick someone in the knee they are going over,they can resist all they like, they are still going over, that not a ma kick, its,a centre half's kick. If they resist by moving, then then they are,standing to the next one or the one after gets them, but they,are going down. Resistance is,futile,as they say
Your experience must be different than mine. In my experience it's much harder to land a kick or a punch on a guy that's fighting back than one who isn't.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your experience must be different than mine. In my experience it's much harder to land a kick or a punch on a guy that's fighting back than one who isn't.
its much the same to be honest, it harder to hit someone who is moving, but they could be moving and not fighting back, but then its,easier if they are,coming towards you than away

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you kick them in the knee, yes. Someone resisting is harder to kick in the knee. So it makes a difference. If they move, it takes you longer. If they move and fight back, you might have to change tactics. If they move and fight back competently, it's a whole different story.
it depends how quick they are rather than if they resist or not, if they are still in range i get them, if not i don't, the act of resisting hasn't changed the odds of me landing, any one who thinks they are going to get kicked will try to move, its their speed relative to mine that is the key,

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it depends how quick they are rather than if they resist or not, if they are still in range i get them, if not i don't, the act of resisting hasn't changed the odds of me landing, any one who thinks they are going to get kicked will try to move, its their speed relative to mine that is the key,
So, someone standing still and letting you kick them is nearly as hard to kick as someone who's trying not to get kicked? :rolleyes:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't believe this but I found something or relevance lol. Not about San Soo but about the different between fighting and demos. And it's a real fight where a kid tries to pull off what seems to be a common martial arts technique that I've seen in many videos.

The technique is a combination.. Knee to the groin then head lock. See the technique at 2:49. There is a good chance this kid takes a martial arts because of the ease at which he went for the head lock right after the knee.

You can thank JOBO for this one. I was originally looking for videos to highly that bodies don't bounce when they are slammed on the ground. They only bounce of padded surface.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The speed only depends on which direction they are going. I can move forward at a slower speed against a kick vs having to move backwards to escape a kick. If I move forward a few inches then I can jam your kick if it's a front kick. If it's a round house kick then I can move forward or forward at a 45 degree angle and only a few inches will mess up your kick and I don't have to be super quick to do these things. In other words, I don't have think that I'm going to get kick. I can actually know that I'm going to get kick because I see it coming and move forward.

Sometimes you can see stuff coming and sometimes you can't.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The speed only depends on which direction they are going. I can move forward at a slower speed against a kick vs having to move backwards to escape a kick. If I move forward a few inches then I can jam your kick if it's a front kick. If it's a round house kick then I can move forward or forward at a 45 degree angle and only a few inches will mess up your kick and I don't have to be super quick to do these things. In other words, I don't have think that I'm going to get kick. I can actually know that I'm going to get kick because I see it coming and move forward.

Sometimes you can see stuff coming and sometimes you can't.
no your not seeing it, think soccer tackle that would get you sent off,, if you try and jam it, you are,still going over,if you move forward you get the,shin hitting you rather than the foot

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, someone standing still and letting you kick them is nearly as hard to kick as someone who's trying not to get kicked? :rolleyes:
they,all try and move when they think they will be kicked, so there isn't a standing still and,a moving, just the quick and the dead

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
but then its,easier if they are,coming towards you than away
I read this and immediately thought about BJJ and other grappling arts become more difficult to deal with as they come towards you.

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
its much the same to be honest, it harder to hit someone who is moving, but they could be moving and not fighting back, but then its,easier if they are,coming towards you than away
Moving, covering, blocking, and trying to hit you back. Much the same as someone who is cooperating you say?

Just not seeing it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
no your not seeing it, think soccer tackle that would get you sent off,, if you try and jam it, you are,still going over,if you move forward you get the,shin hitting you rather than the foot
totally lost. I don't know any kicks that work like a soccer tackle.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Whittaker's incredible courage to fight through injury

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
they,all try and move when they think they will be kicked, so there isn't a standing still and,a moving, just the quick and the dead

Ok. I think you are missing the point. it is not about you having the avada kedavra of knee kicks. Which you probably don't.

A functional technique will work on a resisting and non resisting oponant. But a non functional technique will only work on a non resisting oponant.

Everything works on a non resisting guy.

Dumbass Martial Arts

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. I think you are missing the point. it is not about you having the avada kedavra of knee kicks. Which you probably don't.

A functional technique will work on a resisting and non resisting oponant. But a non functional technique will only work on a non resisting oponant.

Everything works on a non resisting guy.

Dumbass Martial Arts
That HAS to be satire. At 0:50, he literally just grabs the gun and the guy gives it to him.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
but light contact is less real, reality is after all relative, as Einstein pointed out.

when people are bouncing of the floor because of the force they were put down with, that has at least as much reality as tkd playing foot tag with padding everywhere

HTTP3JzMjQyLnBic3JjLmNvbS9hbGJ1bXMvZmYyNTgvdHJ1Y2t0aGlzL2Vtb3RpY29ucy9sb2wtMS5naWZjiaYzIwMAloglog.gif

The Einsteins laws of physics approach! ......LoL........ I love that answer, I should have thought of that, some of these gents simply know crap or have other underlying reasons for their view or opinions.

I'm here for a good chat about facts, truths based on good historical understanding not distortions or peoples poor understanding which is becoming a theme in most conversations or thread / replies as Jobo pointed out, but this being a martial arts talk Forum you get a circus show of opinions, yes we all have opinions but some are more uneducated and missing the mark completely, false in nature or void of cultural understanding or intent of the martial art type so on.

I would think that common sense and some respect for types of martial arts like Kung Fu San Soo would be a way of thought.

It seems the more I post there are intentional replies to provoke or to counter a complete different view when that view is off completely.

For those that think Kung Fu San Soo is some kind of fake or weak system okay please I dare you go into a kwoon where they teach it and ask to spar full contact, film it and post it here.

You are going to love it every bit of it LoL

But you won't because you know either nothing or you would twiddle at the experience ............ ;) LoL

The fact is it's a very aggressive martial arts form used in the military similar to Krav Maga used by the Israeli defense force which i love also..............

They don't look pretty but are about striking hard first in real battlefield situations.

So please don't tell me now Krav Maga is crap as well oh boy please, just don't, don't, don't you dare, don't do it, don't do it........ damn you did it LoL

Anyway again emphasis on learning any martial art out of interest passion or love for it, is usually within the realms of where and why you practice it.

If its for the street its self defense, if its for the the defense force it's for attack and intent to kill, if its for the police force its for control and command situations.

I simply love martial arts just love what the body can do and allot is about you the person how you interpret it, how you express it how you embrace it as part of yourself.

People keep blaming systems when its more about them! mm

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That HAS to be satire. At 0:50, he literally just grabs the gun and the guy gives it to him.

There is this idea that there is some sort of real line between no touch magical fu fu and the martial arts we do.

For me if we are compliantly collapsing to every move regardless if it makes sense or not then that line becomes blurred.

So while we may not be training in that laughable manner. we could be making gestures towards it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
HTTP3JzMjQyLnBic3JjLmNvbS9hbGJ1bXMvZmYyNTgvdHJ1Y2t0aGlzL2Vtb3RpY29ucy9sb2wtMS5naWZjiaYzIwMAloglog.gif

The Einsteins laws of physics approach! ......LoL........ I love that answer, I should have thought of that, some of these gents simply know crap or have other underlying reasons for their view or opinions.

I'm here for a good chat about facts, truths based on good historical understanding not distortions or peoples poor understanding which is becoming a theme in most conversations or thread / replies as Jobo pointed out, but this being a martial arts talk Forum you get a circus show of opinions, yes we all have opinions but some are more uneducated and missing the mark completely, false in nature or void of cultural understanding or intent of the martial art type so on.

I would think that common sense and some respect for types of martial arts like Kung Fu San Soo would be a way of thought.

It seems the more I post there are intentional replies to provoke or to counter a complete different view when that view is off completely.

For those that think Kung Fu San Soo is some kind of fake or weak system okay please I dare you go into a kwoon where they teach it and ask to spar full contact, film it and post it here.

You are going to love it every bit of it LoL

But you won't because you know either nothing or you would twiddle at the experience ............ ;) LoL

The fact is it's a very aggressive martial arts form used in the military similar to Krav Maga used by the Israeli defense force which i love also..............

They don't look pretty but are about striking hard first in real battlefield situations.

So please don't tell me now Krav Maga is crap as well oh boy please, just don't, don't, don't you dare, don't do it, don't do it........ damn you did it LoL

Anyway again emphasis on learning any martial art out of interest passion or love for it, is usually within the realms of where and why you practice it.

If its for the street its self defense, if its for the the defense force it's for attack and intent to kill, if its for the police force its for control and command situations.

I simply love martial arts just love what the body can do and allot is about you the person how you interpret it, how you express it how you embrace it as part of yourself.

People keep blaming systems when its more about them! mm

Seal teams at one point did scars. Untill someone finally got a clue.

Just because the military does it does not legitimize it.

I mean scars for gods sake.

Latest Discussions