Kung Fu vs MMA

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kung-Fu vs MMA only back in the old days of UFC (Cage Warrior's) when it all started not anymore just no chance of that ever happening, again.

Under the revised striking guidelines in their contracts, thats for sure.

I would have loved to watch Kung-Fu San Soo at work in the old days though.......watch................

Oh by the way many of those techniques shown in that video aren't realistic. I couldn't tell if you were being serious about Kung -Fu San Soo or being funny. lol.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally the UFC was supposed to be different fighting systems against each other, which is awesome. I think it would have worked out well had it stayed that way, but people started mixing and matching skill sets instead of representing their fighting system. I think kung fu would have benefited greatly had it stayed as it was originally envisioned. Now it's just a bunch of fighters and if you ask them which system do they represent many of them will say, I don't represent one system I study a variety of things.

I would like the UFC fights more if it were people form various fighting systems testing out their ability and staying true to the fighting system that they are training. I think there are a lot of martial arts out there that would have advanced had it stayed this way. I like watching people find solutions within their own system.
The thing is, professional fighters are generally much more concerned with winning their fights than with artificially limiting themselves by proving the worth of a particular martial art. Those who do feel the need to limit themselves that way don't generally get very far against the calibre of today's competition.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing is, professional fighters are generally much more concerned with winning their fights than with artificially limiting themselves by proving the worth of a particular martial art. Those who do feel the need to limit themselves that way don't generally get very far against the calibre of today's competition.
Agreed. It's the nature of competition - it tends to attract folks who wish to win. And they tend to adjust what they do to give them the best chance of winning in that format.

And there are many (I count myself among those, so a clear bias on my part) who don't feel limited by the origin of our art, either. I've both added to and subtracted from the curriculum I learned in. To me, it's still NGA, but it's not the NGA that came to the US.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure. Boxers are professional fighters, they limit themselves. Muay Thai fighters are professional fighters and they limit there fighting to Muay Thai. They care about winning just as much. I think if they were to limit themselves in the UFC then they would be forced to find a solution within the fighting system of their choice. I do believe that you are right but in a more specific manner. UFC attracted fighters who were trying to be the best within their system. It attracted fighters who just wanted to fight and win and not master a specific style so they could win with it. I don't see fighting systems as limited as most because there is no way in the world that what happens in the UFC ring is new to any fighting system that has been around for hundreds of years. Things like rules could shape the competition limitations. I understand that it's a business and I have no problem with that. I'm just recognizing that it's a lost opportunity that could have happened sooner than later. Some TMA schools are kind of heading in this direction now that MMA practitioners have beaten other TMA practitioners. They are digging deeper into the system and training it in the context of "how would I use system A" vs MMA.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure. Boxers are professional fighters, they limit themselves. Muay Thai fighters are professional fighters and they limit there fighting to Muay Thai.
They limit themselves to what works in the format they choose. That was the original point. MMA fighters will use what works within that format, rather than limiting themselves to a single style.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure. Boxers are professional fighters, they limit themselves. Muay Thai fighters are professional fighters and they limit there fighting to Muay Thai. They care about winning just as much. I think if they were to limit themselves in the UFC then they would be forced to find a solution within the fighting system of their choice. I do believe that you are right but in a more specific manner. UFC attracted fighters who were trying to be the best within their system. It attracted fighters who just wanted to fight and win and not master a specific style so they could win with it. I don't see fighting systems as limited as most because there is no way in the world that what happens in the UFC ring is new to any fighting system that has been around for hundreds of years. Things like rules could shape the competition limitations. I understand that it's a business and I have no problem with that. I'm just recognizing that it's a lost opportunity that could have happened sooner than later. Some TMA schools are kind of heading in this direction now that MMA practitioners have beaten other TMA practitioners. They are digging deeper into the system and training it in the context of "how would I use system A" vs MMA.
Boxers and Muay Thai fighters are limited by the rules of the sport they are competing in, but they use whatever tools work for them within the rules. If they could win fights by using techniques from a different art that were legal in their matches they would. If they compete under rules which allow more options, then they will use those options if they are helpful.

The whole point of MMA competition is to allow as broad a range of techniques and tactics as possible. As long as those are allowed, it's going to be hard to incentivize fighters to limit themselves just to prove a point about the effectiveness of a given tradition. (There are some fighters who are willing to do that, but they can't hang at the top levels competition any more.)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Boxers and Muay Thai fighters are limited by the rules of the sport they are competing in, but they use whatever tools work for them within the rules. If they could win fights by using techniques from a different art that were legal in their matches they would. If they compete under rules which allow more options, then they will use those options if they are helpful.

The whole point of MMA competition is to allow as broad a range of techniques and tactics as possible. As long as those are allowed, it's going to be hard to incentivize fighters to limit themselves just to prove a point about the effectiveness of a given tradition. (There are some fighters who are willing to do that, but they can't hang at the top levels competition any more.)

Speaking of how is Kron Gracie faring?

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

It seems the video is very subjectively edited. The "Kiai Master" he "beat up" gave a demonstration before the agreed upon fight. He had many students charge him and by simple hand motions which made zero contact his students would fall to the floor. He stated he had a professional fight record of I believe 200-0 and he had an open invitation for anyone one to challenge him. With proper context, I believe the MMA guy in the first part of the video was in the right to challenge him.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
"In the words of Bruce Lee, “style is a crystallization.” The moment you dictate a specific way that a technique should be practiced, you also risk creating shortcomings in such techniques that are overlooked at the time."

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh by the way many of those techniques shown in that video aren't realistic. I couldn't tell if you were being serious about Kung -Fu San Soo or being funny. lol.

I so disagree with you here on the opinion of "Kung - Fu San Soo" being fake or just not a good art for real fights in the battlefield so to speak.

Its a very aggressive blast of movement like a storm rushing creek smashing you as you stand there LoL

Seriously have you ever felt strong rushing current standing in a creek whilst there is a strong storm/rain...pfftt c'mon

Watch:-

San Soo instructions with 1st Force Recon Co Part 1-3 with a very experienced instructor in the military who has also served in the US Army Vietnam war.........

Go here....... 1st Force Reconnaissance Company ........... ;)

More info here:- 1st Force Reconnaissance Company - Wikipedia

Its real right LoL

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"In the words of Bruce Lee, “style is a crystallization.” The moment you dictate a specific way that a technique should be practiced, you also risk creating shortcomings in such techniques that are overlooked at the time."
And if you don't, you risk people wandering into versions that are less effective. There are risks in each direction.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I so disagree with you here on the opinion of "Kung - Fu San Soo" being fake or just not a good art for real fights in the battlefield so to speak
I never said that "Kung-Fu San Soo" was fake. I only spoke of the techniques that I saw in that video.
Show me a "Kung - Fu San Soo" sparring video and I may have a better opinion of the techniques that I saw in the video.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I never said that "Kung-Fu San Soo" was fake. I only spoke of the techniques that I saw in that video.
Show me a "Kung - Fu San Soo" sparring video and I may have a better opinion of the techniques that I saw in the video.

LoL

Respectfully I ask, do you know anything about San Soo before we discuss?

If you don't go and study it up and learn what the art is all about, then we can talk or have some kind of discussion.

If you don't respect the look of the art or the moves or like them for that matter its because you don't know about it.

Thats a given right there going by your reply above, It can not be more obvious to me even if I look in the mirror and see my own face LoL

Hard to tell if you are trolling me or honestly unaware of this martial art type so I take it with as a grain of salt so to speak!

But watch Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo

READ HERE:- THE HISTORY OF KUNG-FU SAN SOO

Its not designed to look pretty but rough, hard and fast is the main idea, its also been respected by many senior leaders in other martial arts as one of the toughest martial arts around.

If you don't like it or agree that says more about you than the actual Kung - Fu San Soo martial art style ;)

I like it allot, the style is unique and very aggressive to say the least, you won't see it in training videos but in real application its deadly.

Ask the 1st Force Recon Company in this link 1st Force Reconnaissance Company ....... LOL

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Respectfully I ask, do you know anything about San Soo before we discuss?

If you don't go and study it up and learn what the art is all about, then we can talk or have some kind of discussion.
Worse reply ever.

If you don't respect the look of the art or the moves or like them for that matter its because you don't know about it.
Thats a given right there going by your reply above, It can not be more obvious to me even if I look in the mirror and see my own face LoL
I disrespect the art and the moves just because I asked to see a San Soo sparring video so that I may have different perspective than what I saw in the first video?

Hard to tell if you are trolling me or honestly unaware of this martial art type so I take it with as a grain of salt so to speak!
I don't take San Soo and when I looked it up I only saw one San Soo sparring video. Which looked like this. Beyond this video, I would have to say there aren't any San Soo sparring videos out there on youtube.

I don't troll. I don't see any point on just being irritating for the sake of irritating someone.

The Videos that you are posting are demo videos and not sparring video. It's a demo video. All I'm asking for is a sparring video of San Soo where 2 people are free sparring and trying to use the techniques that I saw in that video.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like it allot, the style is unique and very aggressive to say the least, you won't see it in training videos but in real application its deadly.
Yeah I don't buy this. While a martial arts may have a couple of deadly techniques, there are also some non-lethal techniques. I'm from the train of thought that a person cannot learn how to apply martial arts techniques correctly without sparring.

This is where a lot of kung fu practioners got into trouble in thinking that everything was too deadly to spar with and when it came time to actually use it, they couldn't because they had no familiarity of the movement, timing, strategy, and resistance that one normally has to deal with when fighting against an opponent who is trying to attack and defend.

The quote in my signature speaks to this.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Worse reply ever.

I disrespect the art and the moves just because I asked to see a San Soo sparring video so that I may have different perspective than what I saw in the first video?

I don't take San Soo and when I looked it up I only saw one San Soo sparring video. Which looked like this. Beyond this video, I would have to say there aren't any San Soo sparring videos out there on youtube.

I don't troll. I don't see any point on just being irritating for the sake of irritating someone.

The Videos that you are posting are demo videos and not sparring video. It's a demo video. All I'm asking for is a sparring video of San Soo where 2 people are free sparring and trying to use the techniques that I saw in that video.

Its really no different to any possible video I could post.

Also there are elements embeded to other Kung-Fu styles in San Soo though but generally its about leverage and hard strikes what you are asking is not going to be easy to even show you. As you will only see slow less aggressive movement due to the core intent of the style and people in training or sparring don't kill each other, right!

This art is very deadly when actually used in full power and speed with intent to kill that is why its used by the military proven by the links in previous posts.

However this video might give a different view.................

Here are a couple more...............

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Its really no different to any possible video I could post.

Also there are elements embeded to other Kung-Fu styles in San Soo though but generally its about leverage and hard strikes what you are asking is not going to be easy to even show you. As you will only see slow less aggressive movement due to the core intent of the style and people in training or sparring don't kill each other, right!

This art is very deadly when actually used in full power and speed with intent to kill that is why its used by the military proven by the links in previous posts.

However this video might give a different view.................

Here are a couple more...............

Sorry still doesn't help. These are still demos.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry still doesn't help. These are still demos.

Well you are just "Trolling" you can deny it but thats what you are doing as you would know even say in Akido people don't even strike hard with the sword to kill so people like you can see it, we live in modern times in countries with laws go back to ancient times for that or watch the history channel LoL

Its no point discussing with you have your way young lad :wacky:

But i appreciate the San Soo style you don't thats you not me LoL

Like i said earlier its more about you than the art!

Cheers ;)