Kung Fu Federation

I

InvisibleFist

This discussion is rapidly becoming exhausting. I didn't say CMA was a sport, I said that there were numerous competitive events IN CMA. The WHOLE POINT I have been making throughout the discussion is that CMA is a mansion with many rooms.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
InvisibleFist said:
tournements promote the art, create interest. Interest = new students. Thats a Good Thing.
Thats a matter of opinion. Tournements promote competition and schools, but unless your style is completely contained within the competitions at a tournement, it doesn't really promote the art. In the eyes of commerce your right, but in the eyes of the future of true kung fu it may just be a different story.

InvisibleFist said:
I don't have to. The link you posted contains a sport format. There are others, including the kuoshu federation, the AAU/CMA etc. To say there is no sport in trad CMA is just wrong and you know it. There are numerous competitive events in CMA.

Obviously this is a problem. Contemporary wushu was an attempt to deal with this problem. The KFF is another such attempt.
The AAU and such are tournement promoters and organizers, they are not kung fu schools or anything like that. You can say what you think I know but the truth is, I know that TCMA contains nothing about sport or performance. Listen, like I said before, just because you can take a part of something and make a competition about it, doesn't make what you took a sport or even have sport aspects. Like the painting example, while you can take pieces of the art of painting and make competitions out of them, painting is not a sport and does not contain sport or performance aspects. Is eating a sport? Does eating contain sport aspects? Because there are plenty of eating competitions. However, the competition for eating doesn't cover the basics of why we eat, or what eating does for us, its simply a competition taking a part of eating and doing it.

InvisibleFist said:
This discussion is rapidly becoming exhausting. I didn't say CMA was a sport, I said that there were numerous competitive events IN CMA. The WHOLE POINT I have been making throughout the discussion is that CMA is a mansion with many rooms.
I agree with you, it is getting exhausting. You didn't say CMA was a sport, your right. You said it was a "freaking hobby", and that from the time it was created contained heavy performance aspects. You said that many reasons people study CMA are performance aspects and "busting mad moves". Also that CMA has a long history of exhibition.

All I'm saying is I disagree with all of that. I think its a very common misconception among people who practice kung fu as a hobby. CMA is a "mansion with many rooms" but only the rooms contained in the mansion are true rooms of kung fu. The servant's quarters does not count. What I'm trying to say is, you can just add whatever you want to the "rooms" as you call them. Thats faulty logic, its like something called Personified Abstraction. You are saying its a mansion with many rooms, but your "building" the mansion so you just add whatever you want to be the "rooms". There is still a right and wrong here, and its simply wrong that TCMA has a long history of sport aspects and performance.

7sm

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nice analogy 7SM...but before the mansion, you need to find a good ground...then a good foundation, then good building materials, and good builders.....:)

I

InvisibleFist

That's ridiculous. Of course the servants quarters count.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
InvisibleFist said:
That's ridiculous. Of course the servants quarters count.
It is like the inger pointing away to the moon.....

"Slap" InvisibleFist, "Don't concentrate on the finger......

I

InvisibleFist

47MM, you are not Bruce Lee.

And don't ever joke about slapping me.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"Slap" InvisibleFist
No Offense. This isnt' a physical slap.

But, dont take things so literally.

Which was the moral or subject that I was speaking about in the first place.

I

InvisibleFist

7starmantis said:
The AAU and such are tournement promoters and organizers, they are not kung fu schools or anything like that.
The AAU/CMA is a federation of Kung Fu schools. My school is a member.

You can say what you think I know but the truth is, I know that TCMA contains nothing about sport or performance.
Then somebody needs to explain all the CMA tournaments.

Listen, like I said before, just because you can take a part of something and make a competition about it, doesn't make what you took a sport or even have sport aspects. Like the painting example, while you can take pieces of the art of painting and make competitions out of them, painting is not a sport and does not contain sport or performance aspects.
If there were painting competitions, then painting would NECESSARILY CONTAIN sport aspects BY DEFINITION.

Is eating a sport? Does eating contain sport aspects? Because there are plenty of eating competitions. However, the competition for eating doesn't cover the basics of why we eat, or what eating does for us, its simply a competition taking a part of eating and doing it.
I agree with you, it is getting exhausting. You didn't say CMA was a sport, your right. You said it was a "freaking hobby", and that from the time it was created contained heavy performance aspects. You said that many reasons people study CMA are performance aspects and "busting mad moves". Also that CMA has a long history of exhibition.
All of which I beleive I demonstrated to be true.

Look 7*, you are being willfully obstinate. You seem determined to beleive that kung fu is ONLY about self defence, and that those who are into it for other reasons are WRONG. You even relegate everything other then self defence to the "servants quarters".

There are many reasons to study Kung fu, self defence, fitness, competition, performance, Chi cultivation, to exalt one aspect above the others is obtuse.

[

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why must you or he persist? There is a difference of opinions and thus stale to convince each other otherwise. :)

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
InvisibleFist said:
The AAU/CMA is a federation of Kung Fu schools. My school is a member.
Yes, I am aware of the AAU, my sifu was the regional director here for a while. Its a group of school and members with one common goal, to manage and promote tournements. You can't call a rose a skunk cabage and expect people to believe you. A federation of Kung Fu Schools would be the United States Kung Fu Exchange. That is a federation of schools. My school is a member of it and its purposes are to increase exposure of kung fu and expand real, true kung fu. Its sole purpose is to live kung fu, to teach true kung fu and allow kung fu a bright future. Competitions are not part of our goal because competitions are great and fun, but serve no purpose in extending true kung fu to others and parts of the world. True kung fu isn't my gold medals from the AAU competitions I've been to, but the level of skill I can stand on, my own skill.

InvisibleFist said:
If there were painting competitions, then painting would NECESSARILY CONTAIN sport aspects BY DEFINITION.
What deffinition is that? Deffinition of what exactly? Your making your own deffinition, so you can say it is correct. So what about my eating analogy? Is eating a sport? Does eating contain sport aspects? There are eating competitions, so by "deffinition" eating contains sport aspects?

InvisibleFist said:
All of which I beleive I demonstrated to be true.
To whom? You demonstrated nothing to be true to anyone besides yourself. How would you demonstrate to be true, the statement that kung fu is a freaking hobby? Is that possible? See, your only looking at your own picture here, not anyone elses views or opinions. To have a real discussion one must at least think on the posts of others.

InvisibleFist said:
Look 7*, you are being willfully obstinate. You seem determined to beleive that kung fu is ONLY about self defence, and that those who are into it for other reasons are WRONG. You even relegate everything other then self defence to the "servants quarters".
OK, lets get back on topic here, you can twist around things I've said as much as you like, but its not going to get us anywhere in our discussion. I've said nothing like what you just posted I have, so lets not fall into personal attacks and twisting of words. If this thread can't stay on topic, its of no use.

InvisibleFist said:
There are many reasons to study Kung fu, self defence, fitness, competition, performance, Chi cultivation, to exalt one aspect above the others is obtuse.
Your 100% right. There are many reasons to study kung fu. I guess truth is also in the hands of the beholder eh? If I study kung fu for chi cultivation than I guess that is what kung fu is about to me then right? So there are no absolutes, kung fu is about everything and nothing all at the same time. Listen, reasons to study kung fu may vary as diverse as anything we have ever seen, however the reasons poeple are drawn to study kung fu do not change its history, principles, or intent. I think our problem here is we are not defining things well. To you, kung fu holds aspects of whatever you are looking for, I can understand that bellief to a point, but the truth is kung fu was created for specific reasons and they are not mutable to everyones whims and desires. See, back to eating, there are many reasons to eat, right? Boredom, sadness, competitions, fun, taste, being hungry, nervous, etc. Are these all parts of why eating exists? Nope. Eating exists to fuel our body and keep us alive, all other reasons to eat are personal. Same with Kung Fu. Its purpose is straightforward, our reasons for study may differ, but Kung Fu doesn't change for each of us.

7sm

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
See, back to eating, there are many reasons to eat, right? Boredom, sadness, competitions, fun, taste, being hungry, nervous, etc. Are these all parts of why eating exists? Nope. Eating exists to fuel our body and keep us alive, all other reasons to eat are personal. Same with Kung Fu. Its purpose is straightforward, our reasons for study may differ, but Kung Fu doesn't change for each of us.

I like this analogy.

But, I beleive that the term, Kung Fu, is misused.

I wonder what it "true" name, per martial arts/fighting was? :)

Latest Discussions