Kukri vs Machette

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anybody have experience with both kukris and machettes? Which do you like better? Which do you think functions better as a tool and/or as a weapon?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What size Kukri are you talking about?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tool for what? Weapon vs what?

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1896855_10152013952104150_975053564_n.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Machetes are cheaper,lighter and are a garden tool rather than a tacticool tool.

Buy a tramontia. Because buying a kukri wont make you a Ghurkha.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Historically when the Gurkhas went to battle they used the Kora not the kukri, the kukri was the camp tool/machete, yes it made a useful weapon but so does a hunting knife. When firearms became dominant the kora was left out of the loadout but the kukri was retained.

I don't have much use for a machete in my environment but the kukri certainly has its place in the pack, if I have to fight someone I'd probably prefer the range that the machete would give me.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
never tried or even had a real kukri, but would love to have one. I've used the machete for many things and practiced some crazy stuff with one but would like a heavier more sturdy blade if I ever had to use in combat.
I have seen machete wounds in the Emergency room and will say they where nasty

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
The one I use camping is relatively small, similar to the more recent military issue sizes, with a blade length of 11 inches or so, the kukri has become smaller over the last 100 years as its function as a backup weapon has been reduced.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody have experience with both kukris and machettes? Which do you like better? Which do you think functions better as a tool and/or as a weapon?
Yes. What are you trying to do? A kukri can do pottery much anything a machete can, as well as being a formidable chopping tool. A machete trends to have longer reach and is lighter for hours of brush clearing. As a weapon -- pretty much the same differences.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've never actually seen a Kukri. I don't particularly like machetes, but train with them because my knife instructor says so. He reminds us it's one of the most common blades around the world. But I ain't going overseas and don't plan on cutting brush any time soon, so, you know.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be used in what environment. Jungle, Grasslands, Hardwood Forest, on a raft in an ocean, in the mountains, in the desert?
Neither is the best in all situations.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Historically when the Gurkhas went to battle they used the Kora not the kukri, the kukri was the camp tool/machete, yes it made a useful weapon but so does a hunting knife. When firearms became dominant the kora was left out of the loadout but the kukri was retained.

I don't have much use for a machete in my environment but the kukri certainly has its place in the pack, if I have to fight someone I'd probably prefer the range that the machete would give me.

No they took a Kukri, there are various sizes of kukri and are used as normal. That's from my shift partner...a Gurkha and very proud of his history as well as his regiment. However non Gurkas are far more in awe of the kukri than Gurkas are to the extent that all sorts of myths have been made up much to their amusement, the one about Kurkris having to 'taste' blood before being put back into their scabbards is one.
A sword would be far too expensive for fighters so they would use the largest kukri they had, a considerable length, still used btw as a knife/machete. There are some villages still who have a sacred sword though which is hidden away but certainly swords weren't the common soldiers weapon.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I`ve owned a machete since I was a kid (worn out several in fact) and it is an excellent tool for outdoor activity. Far better than an axe in my opinion when it comes to clearing a path, cut wood for the campfire or even chopping down small trees. When properly sharpened and swung the cutting power is incredible. As for the machete used as a weapon, there are the FMAs.

Never used or held a kukri, I suppose it is an excellent weapon and tool for a trained person. I imagine the shape of the blade could make it a bit impractical for some of the tasks a machete excel at however.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I`ve owned a machete since I was a kid (worn out several in fact) and it is an excellent tool for outdoor activity. Far better than an axe in my opinion when it comes to clearing a path, cut wood for the campfire or even chopping down small trees. When properly sharpened and swung the cutting power is incredible. As for the machete used as a weapon, there are the FMAs.

Never used or held a kukri, I suppose it is an excellent weapon and tool for a trained person. I imagine the shape of the blade could make it a bit impractical for some of the tasks a machete excel at however.

In Nepal the kukri is used as we would used a knife and a machete, it's the size that makes the difference. small ones are used for cutting up food for cooking, larger ones for cutting wood etc. Despite what people think it's not primarily a weapon but the everyday knife of the Nepalese.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Nepal the kukri is used as we would used a knife and a machete, it's the size that makes the difference. small ones are used for cutting up food for cooking, larger ones for cutting wood etc. Despite what people think it's not primarily a weapon but the everyday knife of the Nepalese.

Come to think of it maybe the kukri is a bit similar to the norwegian snedel. :D

styving2.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Come to think of it maybe the kukri is a bit similar to the norwegian snedel. :D

styving2.jpg

then we can start getting a bit more than two options and look at things like a bill hook or woodsmans pal.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For a bit of traditional killing/utility knives the smatchet or the barong.

Actually the smatchet has kind of a cool history. Fairborn's other fighting knife.

Latest Discussions